• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Once Upon A Time In Hollywood: The No Manson Family Edition

jswert123456

Reaction score
Trophy Points
seems a little early to be thinking bout submitting it already,
seems like you would have more to edit and tweak and perfect first.

revstevens

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
jswert123456 said:

I mean, it's possible they've been working on it for a while. And, if the cuts result in straight cuts/crossfades, it may not take that long to do. Theoretically.

jswert123456

Reaction score
Trophy Points
revstevens said:
jswert123456 said:

I mean, it's possible they've been working on it for a while. And, if the cuts result in straight cuts/crossfades, it may not take that long to do. Theoretically.
I was simply saying from the time he announced it on this site to the time he is talking bout submission is very quick turnaround is all i meant,
he couldve been working on it for awhile.

Kikanator96

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I have a DLC link of the fan edit for those who are interested so I can get feedback on it and make it the best it can be. Since the site doesn't want us to just share links on open forums like this, I guess send me a PM and I'll give you the link.

macmilln

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Watched this edit this morning, it proved to be a cool FanMix of the film. A few technical issues, and some places where I feel the narrative could be enhanced to put more focus on what you're trying to put focus on (there's some stray shots of Tate, and the hippies). I treated this as if I were doing an informal academy review, so it'd expedite the real academy process quite a bit when you get to it. See below!

• 0:20:30 - Cliff still waves at the hippie girl. It almost works fine but there's a bit too much focus on her in my opinion, so it feels like a loose end.
  • 0:21:00 - You should trim this shot to end sooner so we don't put focus on "Cielo Dr", doesn't really make sense now that we don't care about the Polanski residence
  • 0:21:45 - Maybe cut the close-up (in the car) of Tate and Polanski. Same thing, seems like undesired focus being put on them.
  • 0:24:58 - This is a really harsh cut, maybe have the music fade in more gradually.
  • 0:37:00 - Again, we shouldn't be seeing these shots of Tate - she's not relevant to the narrative anymore.
  • 1:02:16 - The audio appears to be out-of-sync in this deleted scene, pushing it a few frames over should do the trick.
  • 1:08:36 - This transition doesn't really work. I really love that scene, but it doesn't have a definitive 'ending' so I unfortunately didn't include it in my own edit. The music transition is a nice idea but it's too intrusive. You could try playing around with the fade more, or reviewing the scene to see if there's anywhere a cut makes sense, but I think you may just have to scrap it.
  • 1:09:00 - Again, Tate is irrelevant. This breaks the narrative.
  • 1:21:06 - Maybe we don't need to repeat the cut away to Cliff buying the cigarette, as we just saw it not so long ago. (would it be possible to move it so it's played earlier in the film, along with the first one? - then use a close-up of the cigarette paired with Cliff's voice to hide the cut.

Those are all the specific technical/narrative issues that I'd say, for the most part, need to be fixed. Beyond that...
  • I'd recommend exporting the edit in the film's resolution so you don't have the black bars on either side - makes thing easier for people watching on widescreen or just other non-standard displays.
  • I think you should swap out the "Hollywood" font and use the Bookman font for all of that, just for some consistency and a more 'professional' look. This is a nitpick, though.

And of course, I'll end this on some positives: what you did with the opening and closing were both brilliant! And if I didn't mention any other cuts you made, it's because they were done well and I didn't notice them - I know more must have been cut than in the few I mentioned, so good work. At just over ninety minutes, this was a really fun way to revisit the film and serves a purpose for those wishing the film had a little more focus. Looking forward to seeing what else you share in the future!

Kikanator96

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
macmilln said:
0:20:30 - Cliff still waves at the hippie girl. It almost works fine but there's a bit too much focus on her in my opinion, so it feels like a loose end.
  • 0:21:00 - You should trim this shot to end sooner so we don't put focus on "Cielo Dr", doesn't really make sense now that we don't care about the Polanski residence
  • 0:21:45 - Maybe cut the close-up (in the car) of Tate and Polanski. Same thing, seems like undesired focus being put on them.
  • 0:24:58 - This is a really harsh cut, maybe have the music fade in more gradually.
  • 1:02:16 - The audio appears to be out-of-sync in this deleted scene, pushing it a few frames over should do the trick.
  • 1:09:00 - Again, Tate is irrelevant. This breaks the narrative
  • I'd recommend exporting the edit in the film's resolution so you don't have the black bars on either side - makes thing easier for people watching on widescreen or just other non-standard displays.
  • I think you should swap out the "Hollywood" font and use the Bookman font for all of that, just for some consistency and a more 'professional' look. This is a nitpick, though.

I finally watched it in whole myself. Thank you for the tips. Here are my notes. I fixed the sync of the deleted scene. I tried the bookman font that I can get in premiere but I personally don't like it as much. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jjBHRpVdkTE-lkDkglY5hAQ6JokOz9ze/view?usp=sharing
Can you tell me the name of the song at 24:58? I'll see if I can have it slowly fade in before the scene transition. 
I didn't change the films' aspect ratio. It is like this so that the 4:3 scenes can play. I don't know if I can do it like you want me to do, unless I nest all the black bar scenes and put them in their aspect ratio, but the final aspect ratio of the video would still be 1920x1080.
I personally disagree about removing the Sharon Tate scenes. I think they do serve a purpose. 
The flashback with the hippy girl isn't so bad to me. We see the question then later the rest of the exchange. It isn't repeating or anything. I don't think they can be edited together anyway since the second part enters with a j-cut.

macmilln

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Kikanator96 said:
I tried the bookman font that I can get in premiere but I personally don't like it as much. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jjBHRpVdkTE-lkDkglY5hAQ6JokOz9ze/view?usp=sharing
You could get it to match better with the font of the film. Maybe these credits aren't Bookman, or a different variation of it? I personally would just strive for consistency, but the "Hollywood" font you had before isn't a 'problem' unless you think so.
3HpGK7z.png

Kikanator96 said:
Can you tell me the name of the song at 24:58? I'll see if I can have it slowly fade in before the scene transition.
Don't know why you couldn't do this yourself... But it's Tanya Tanning Butter Advertisement from the soundtrack.

Kikanator96 said:
I didn't change the films' aspect ratio. It is like this so that the 4:3 scenes can play. I don't know if I can do it like you want me to do, unless I nest all the black bar scenes and put them in their aspect ratio, but the final aspect ratio of the video would still be 1920x1080.
I didn't say you changed the film's aspect ratio, but you exported in 16:9 (1920x1080) when the film is widescreen (1920x800), so there's letterboxing. The film already had 4:3 scenes in it, that were letterboxed in the widescreen - stick to that, it's better. The final aspect ratio shouldn't be 1920x1080, it should be the same as the film was originally in 1920x800.

Kikanator96 said:
I personally disagree about removing the Sharon Tate scenes. I think they do serve a purpose.
I'd have to revisit the edit to be sure, which I'll do once you make some more of these changes, but if you "think they do serve a purpose" in your edit, please elaborate on what that is.

Kikanator96 said:
The flashback with the hippy girl isn't so bad to me. We see the question then later the rest of the exchange. It isn't repeating or anything. I don't think they can be edited together anyway since the second part enters with a j-cut.
It's not "so bad" but it's unnecessary. And I went back and looked at both clips, none of which seem to have much of a J-cut, not that it would matter anyways, you could just mask over the audio with a bit of ambient noise from the rest of the scene (of which there's lots). I think it'd be way better if the second scene was just "I remember you - hippie girl, fifty cents." without the other scene we just saw ~twenty minutes ago interjecting. This is something that's probably hard for you to notice, as you're familiar with the edit and the 'flow' of it (happens to me as well), but it's jarring to me and I think it would be to other viewers.

Kikanator96

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
macmilln said:
Kikanator96 said:
I tried finding the song a while ago but for whatever reason just couldn't find it.

I'll have another look at the hippy flashback, maybe I could just simply cut the second flashback.

The reason why Sharon is important to me in the story is because Rick admires her. He wants to be friends with her but thinks he isn't good enough. She is the superstar right next door that is out of his league. Later when he cries and it cuts back to her it shows the difference between the two. He is a has-been drunk in a silly costume while she is gorgeous with her movie in the theater. The scenes are also connected because I believe Rick is thinking of her when he is down like this. Like "Sharon will never like you" or something. My family even said when the scene cut to her "He's got the hots for her, doesn't he? :)" Having these couple scenes there, her presence is looming over Rick and the rest of the movie, as something to live up too. Not having her scenes loses the impact of the ending to me. I can trim them a little, but I don't really want to cut them.
This is what the 4:3 looks like in 1920x800 uncropped. Is this right or should it be cropped or what do you think? 

macmilln

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ah, well your reasoning for it makes everything sound good!

And, yes, that is exactly what I meant about the cropping/letter boxing. Yes the 4:3 footage is now smaller on the screen, but the rest/majority of the film is now in its native aspect ratio, which helps people with unconventional screen sizes (widescreen monitors/TVs, some laptops, phones, etc.). Good work! How are all the other, smaller technical changes going?

Kikanator96

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
macmilln said:

And, yes, that is exactly what I meant about the cropping/letter boxing. Yes the 4:3 footage is now smaller on the screen, but the rest/majority of the film is now in its native aspect ratio, which helps people with unconventional screen sizes (widescreen monitors/TVs, some laptops, phones, etc.). Good work! How are all the other, smaller technical changes going?

I tried the hippy girl thing. It actually works since Quentin just cuts right in the middle of the scene. 
I also had the Tanja song fade in more. I think it makes the transition smoother. 

Kikanator96

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've fixed the Aspect Ratio. I can't find the exact font. I still think the one I've been using looks the best. Other than that though do you think it is better? I'm personally happy with it. I also recently got an answer back from Dominic, so I can start the submission process when I'm ready.

Kikanator96

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
macmilln said:

Here is the other edit you suggested. Let me know what you think. 

Kikanator96

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ok! I FINALLY found the correct font! :) Here is how the opening and credits look at the moment. That should be about everything. 

Kikanator96

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Great news! I was finally able to fill out the submission form. :)

macmilln

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sorry it took me so long to get to this... really no excuse other than forgetfulness on nobody's part but my own.

Just watched the edit this morning and...

Everything looks and sounds fine by me! Congrats, this edit is approved!

Kikanator96

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sweet! Awesome! Thank you so much! What happens now? :)

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thread moved to completed. Congratulations.

Kikanator96

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The AMAZING youtube channel The Royal Ocean Film Society just SHOUTED OUT MY EDIT! I love this work so this is coolest thing in the world to me! Check out the video here.

Top Bottom