• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Once Upon A Time In Hollywood: The No Manson Family Edition

Kikanator96

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I enjoy Quentin Tarantino's Movies, but I wasn't a huge fan of this movie. I strongly disliked the entire Manson Family plot. However, I really enjoyed Leonardo Dicaprios storyline. I thought it was the only real story in the film. So I decided to cut out EVERYTHING about the Manson family and have the movie be strickly centered around Leo/Rick Dalton. 

MV5BOTg4ZTNkZmUtMzNlZi00YmFjLTk1MmUtNWQwNTM0YjcyNTNkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjg2NjQwMDQ@._V1_UY1200_CR9006301200_AL_.jpg

The film is now tighter at 93 minutes. The movie starts with Leo being a washed up actor in Hollywood who admires Sharon Tate, his next door neighbor. He gets a job on a TV pilot and we watch him struggle, but eventually he regains his confidence and finds new success. The only apperiance by the hippies is when Cliff sees them crossing the road when they are driving back home, and in the flashbacks involving buying the acid cigarette.

Most of Brad Pitts scenes without Leo are cut. Including him fixing the antenna, the flashbacks to him "killing his wife" and his fight against Bruce Lee, a lot of his scenes driving and his scene alone at his trailer.

A lot of Sharon Tate was also cut. We see her arrive at her house in the beginning, then in the middle when Rick has his emotional breakdown, when she drives to the movie theater and looks at her movie poster and then at the very end. Everything with her going in to see her movie, or going to the playboy mansion, or anything at her house is cut from this version. 

Instead of the Manson family breaking in, Cliff simply gets high on the acid cigarrette after walking his dog and passes out. After that Rick talks to the guy at Sharons gate, the discussion about the break in is complety cut. Rick simply introduces himself to the guy, Sharon says hello on the speaker and invites Rick in to meet her friends.

Inorder to get this film to remain feature length I added most of the deleted and extended scenes back into the movie, including the full scenes of Bounty Law and the Green door song, the Meeting the two Brothers scene and Rick and the director talking on set. The Charles Manson deleted scene is obviously not included. 

The movie is still very much a slow burn, but I think at 93 minutes that is much more tolerable. It is the story of a struggling actor and we really get to be there with him on set and that is something I think the drawn out nature of the scenes really accomplishes.

macmilln

Reaction score
Trophy Points
While Michael Madsen did appear in one of the Bounty Law scenes, he was not a big part of the film...
8eVM33X.jpg

You're thinking of the Manson family ;)
Once-Upon-Hollywood-8-1200x676.png

Do you have any clips of the edit you could share? Cutting 160 minutes down to 93 must've required some clever chops that I'd be interested in seeing! (as many others are I'm sure)

One thing I fear is that there will be tremendous pacing issues, especially since you also reinserted the gratuitous deleted scenes (they even slow down the pacing in my 177-minute extended cut).

Regardless, I'd still be interested in checking this out! Is it available in any form yet?

Kikanator96

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
macmilln said:
One thing I fear is that there will be tremendous pacing issues, especially since you also reinserted the gratuitous deleted scenes (they even slow down the pacing in my 177-minute extended cut).

Regardless, I'd still be interested in checking this out! Is it available in any form yet?

I'm currently trying to submit it. This is my first fan edit so I have to see how that goes. I'm aware there might be some pacing issues and if it happens to be really annoying I will cut those scenes out again. Thanks for showing interest, I'll be sure to help you receive it once it's through.

It'sOnRandom

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Going back to what @"macmilln" said, could you post a few clips that either you're proud of or something you need help with.

macmilln

Reaction score
Trophy Points
You don’t have to submit the edit before you post sample clips or share workprint/preview/draft versions. In fact, I believe the opposite is encouraged! (Source: am academy member - hopefully the one who gets to review this)

jswert123456

Reaction score
Trophy Points
perhaps showing some sample clips first and let people help guide you,
since this is your first edit, it will make it get approved more in long run.

It'sOnRandom

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I still need to watch this film, and it's kinda bad I haven't yet as I call myself " a big Quentin Tarantino Fan".

jswert123456

Reaction score
Trophy Points
quick version of No Manson Family poster( charlie is still on poster behind the text)
XrnB0iy.jpg

Bobson Dugnutt

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'd love to see the new ending without the Manson family, I'd be really curious to see how this is cut together. I mean it's half the length of Mac's Red Apple cut, yet still feature length. I'd be curious to see how the story resolves itself.

Kikanator96

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Here are a couple of clips of the fan edit: 
Opening: 
Ending: 

These are the most noteworthy edits in my opinion. The rest of the edits were normally pretty simple using J and L cuts.

jswert123456

Reaction score
Trophy Points
for future reference, youtube is not usually the best place to upload sample clips( most always gets removed).
try vimeo instead.

macmilln

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Kikanator96 said:
Opening: 

This was pretty solid. One thing I’d recommend is a consistent font choice. I believe, for my edit, I tracked down the font the film used for these actor credits, I’ll check my files later and let you know. You could probably get away with using that “HOLLYWOOD” font for the title card if you wanted to, though.

Kikanator96 said:

This actually works surprisingly well. One thing: I’m not sure if the music fades too quickly when he passes out, too early, or if it’s just unmotivated - but something feels off. Try three things:
  1. Having the music stop right when he hits the floor. Make that heavier-sounding guitar note the last one we hear (the louder one that happens a few beats after he hits the ground)
  2. If that doesn’t work, try doing the opposite and extending it out a bit so the fade isn’t so quick.
  3. If neither of those work, just due to the transition feeling unmotivated (meaning there’s no good break in the track where a fade really ‘fits’ - unlikely, I think) then you may have to isolate/replace the music, either with a new track entirely or just sourcing from another part of that one.
I think #1 should work, though. Hopefully it will.

P.S. you can embed your YouTube videos right into the post so no links have to be clicked. It’s helpful.  :)

Kikanator96

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
macmilln said:
Kikanator96 said:
Opening: 

This was pretty solid. One thing I’d recommend is a consistent font choice. I believe, for my edit, I tracked down the font the film used for these actor credits, I’ll check my files later and let you know. You could probably get away with using that “HOLLYWOOD” font for the title card if you wanted to, though.
Kikanator96 said:

This actually works surprisingly well. One thing: I’m not sure if the music fades too quickly when he passes out, too early, or if it’s just unmotivated - but something feels off. Try three things:
  1. Having the music stop right when he hits the floor. Make that heavier-sounding guitar note the last one we hear (the louder one that happens a few beats after he hits the ground)
  2. If that doesn’t work, try doing the opposite and extending it out a bit so the fade isn’t so quick.
  3. If neither of those work, just due to the transition feeling unmotivated (meaning there’s no good break in the track where a fade really ‘fits’ - unlikely, I think) then you may have to isolate/replace the music, either with a new track entirely or just sourcing from another part of that one.
I think #1 should work, though. Hopefully it will.

P.S. you can embed your YouTube videos right into the post so no links have to be clicked. It’s helpful.  :)

Ok I stopped the music when he hits the ground. It is actually pretty funny, made me laugh. XD https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ioGB7HEITb1pPhGcLcN6003LBOhpox70
I googled Once Upon A Time In Hollywood Font and that is the one I found. I couldn't find one with the straight text.
I really appreciate the feedback. If you'd like I can send you a link to the full cut.

macmilln

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Kikanator96 said:
Ok I stopped the music when he hits the ground. It is actually pretty funny, made me laugh. XD

Sounds great, love it! I would've extended it out a little past this but I think yours adds a bit more 'awkwardness' which is nice. You shouldn't share clips on GDrive, though - not supposed to post anywhere with download links. Vimeo or YouTube is the way to go!

Kikanator96 said:
I googled Once Upon A Time In Hollywood Font and that is the one I found. I couldn't find one with the straight text.

As I mentioned, I tracked down the font myself for my own extended edit, just checked the files and it's called Bookman JF Pro-Regular. It's slightly different, presumably because the film uses a custom variation of the typeface, but it gets the job done nonetheless. See below.
hEUzODJ.jpg

(obviously "The Red Apple Cut" is using the font I tracked down)

Kikanator96 said:
I really appreciate the feedback. If you'd like I can send you a link to the full cut.

No problem! And yeah, I'd love to check out the edit - if you plan on submitting it for Academy review, maybe we'll wait for that to go through so I can review it 'officially'.  ;)

revstevens

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Great. Now I've gotta go buy a copy of Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.

This sounds like a great idea for an edit.

Kikanator96

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
macmilln said:
Kikanator96 said:
No problem! And yeah, I'd love to check out the edit - if you plan on submitting it for Academy review, maybe we'll wait for that to go through so I can review it 'officially'.  ;)

I would love to submit it! I haven't understood how it works though. I click on the first time submission thing and then I'm stuck. lol

It'sOnRandom

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Kikanator96 said:
macmilln said:
PM DominicCobb and he’ll fill you in on the process.

I wrote him a couple of days ago but haven't received and answer.

Usually you will have to wait around a week or 2 to get a response but with Covid-19 round it could be faster, unless he is a key-worker which could mean it could take longer, either way you'll get a response soon.

This edit sounds like a fun project so when I watch the original over the weekend I will watch yours straight after.

Top Bottom