• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Once Upon a Time in America: The US Theatrical Cut

lca96

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sorry to bump a old topic. I have edited my own version which is based in chronical order just like the US Cut but doesn't edit anything out.
The run time is 3h 58m in total. If @matrixgrindhouse has abandoned his plans then I don't mind sharing mine.
Lewis.

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Any news on this? Is your cut finished? Can't find something other than this thread.

Due to ongoing health problems, I haven't done any editing in a long while. I may take another swing at this when I get well, but I can't offer any sort of estimate as to when that might be. I wish the best of luck to any and all editors attempting to restore/remaster this version. Thank you for your interest, superJ. Maybe someday.

Mike_v_E

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hi all! I was planning on recreating the US theatrical cut with footage from the extended cut, but then I stumbled upon this forum.
Would like to know what the status is of the restoration and if I can help anyone out? :)

ArtisDead

Banned
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sorry to bump a old topic. I have edited my own version which is based in chronical order just like the US Cut but doesn't edit anything out.
The run time is 3h 58m in total. If @matrixgrindhouse has abandoned his plans then I don't mind sharing mine.
Lewis.
You should submit yours for approval. It wouldn't hurt to have a couple versions just to see what each person saw differently in their vision for this classic. I've previewed or reviewed four copies of the Fourth Indiania Jones and three copies of The Phantom Menace in the last six months. It's amazing the different changes that each editor chooses to make to bring their ideal version to light.

If I can help in any way pm me.

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hi all! I was planning on recreating the US theatrical cut with footage from the extended cut, but then I stumbled upon this forum.
Would like to know what the status is of the restoration and if I can help anyone out? :)

No progress on my end. No health improvements since March. No condition for editing until that changes. Best of luck to everybody who is working on this.

Mike_v_E

Reaction score
Trophy Points
No progress on my end. No health improvements since March. No condition for editing until that changes. Best of luck to everybody who is working on this.0
I have 95% of the footage matched right now. I will soon start with the audio. Do you (or anyone else) have a version of the US theatrical cut with decent audio? The VHS rip I have is missing some audio in the last couple of scenes.

Could you share your US theatrical cut file and edited audio mix file you have been working on? This way I can hopefully finish it soon

HonestAbe

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I would be careful making an edit based upon chronological order. I understand why, but that could create issues with the way the movie was meant to be portrayed.

I watched the full extended non-US version. The director intended to use both flashbacks and “flash forwards” that the viewer could interpret as the De Niro character hallucinating from the opium he used. I really liked that mystery of whether we were looking into the future or the character was having drug-induced delusions.

Mike_v_E

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've finished the visuals for the cut. 99% is matched, just a couple shots that are not available. I have removed the hiss and hum from the audio track. Only thing left to do is fix the audio in the last 20 or so minutes.

Frikken12

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've finished the visuals for the cut. 99% is matched, just a couple shots that are not available. I have removed the hiss and hum from the audio track. Only thing left to do is fix the audio in the last 20 or so minutes.
Exciting!

lca96

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I look forward to this. My edit still has the hiss that you mention, I put my money on it that your edit will be superior to mine. Please update us if you make any progress on your edit!

Mike_v_E

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I look forward to this. My edit still has the hiss that you mention, I put my money on it that your edit will be superior to mine. Please update us if you make any progress on your edit!
I haven't worked on it in a while. I will continue this weekend (maybe even finish it this weekend). The only visual work thats left is to animate the cast text in at the beginning of the film, I've already re-created the text style in illustrator so it shouldn't take that long.

After that I need to fix the audio for the last 20 minutes

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Did anybody work out what the exact piece of music playing over the end credits was? All my tone-deaf hearing can identify is that's by Ennio Morricone :LOL:

Mike_v_E

Reaction score
Trophy Points
After a long break I decided to start working on the project again. Right now I am adding and editing the cast text. After this I will continue work on the audio.

Mike_v_E

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Quick update:

- 99% of the theatrical cut video is replaced with video from the extended director's cut bluray.
- Cast names and movie title are added and animated into the opening sequence.
- Currently replacing the audio in the last 30 or so minutes of the theatrical cut.

Planned:

- I am considering trying to fix the audio of the entire theatrical cut and not just the last 30 minutes (not sure if this is even possible)
- Using Topaz (AI Video Enhancer) to try and clean up the remaining VHS shots

Last edited:

stretch009

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The run time is 3h 58m in total.
^ This is what I'd love to see.

Mike_v_E

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Started working on the project again.

Just recreated and animated the Warner Home Video logo. Only thing thats left to do is fix the audio for the entire movie and not just the last 30 minutes that I have already done.

Replacing the audio will take a lot of time so I have no idea when the project is finished. BUT I am close to finishing it!

Mike_v_E

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Worked on the audio today for about 4-5 hours and I'm currently 45 minutes into the movie. This is definitely going to take a lot longer than I initially expected but I feel it will be well worth it!

I've noticed quite some differences in the music during certain scenes. I will keep the original music and won't replace the audio in those scenes.

Mike_v_E

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just finished getting most of the audio in place. Only thing left to do is double checking all the video and audio. Probably going to be next weekend because there is quite a lot of optimization I need to do for both the video and audio

Top Bottom