• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Old projects on 2022 PREMIERE -and asking for advice!

ChemaVillalba

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hi!

This is a consult to Premiere users (and hopefully experts).

I have 2 fanedits which I started some good years ago. They both became quite complex and left them parked out, since my previous pc was not powerful enough.

I have a new pc, which works pretty fine now, and I want to go back to these 2 old fanedits so I can finish them now.

But the PROBLEM is:
since these are 2 old projects made with Premiere CS5.5, now the current Premiere 2022 WON'T OPEN THEM PROPPERLY.

In one case, the project opens, BUT all the effects editing on them made with the QuickLooks plug-in is COMPLETELY LOST.
(Since that plug-in was obsolete in later Premiere versions, seems it can't copy the same effects now)

Now this first case, as bothering as it is (and it is indeed bothering, because there was A LOT of effects done already which now is totally lost), is not as worrying as the second case.

The second case, I just can't even open the project propperly because most of the files are offline. Premiere says these cannot be linked to their original sources because "they have 12 audio channels and the clip was created with 6 audio channels AND with a different type of channel" (I am translating the Error Message from Spanish so it's not really a quote).
THIS IS LIKE, WHAAAAT?????

NOW, this second error appears to be quite common... Many people are experiencing the very same issue with the audio channels. But the puzzling thing is, it's not just with old projects, it can also happen with a modern project made with the modern Premiere, but just chaning the location of the files from a drive to another. WHAAAAAAAAAT. SERIOUSLY, PREMIERE??????

Apparently the only solution seems to be accept them all as offline, then go RE-LINK ONE BY ONE, MANUALLY.

In my case, the problem is the files to relink are, like, a lot.

----------------------------------------------------

NOW comes the part where I ask for your best advice, mates.

First of all, I've come to the realization Premiere sucks. Don't get me wrong, I think it's quite ok to start learning on pro editing, but then comes a point when it just sucks. Next project, I will go with DaVinci or similar really good one.

But for these 2 old projects, which I really really want to finish... WHAT ADVICE COULD YOU GIVE ME?
I mean, the only way to open them is with Premiere (there's no way I am starting them 2 again from zero with another program. The level of work on them both is huge (and I mean months and months huge).

Would you recommend:

1- Finish them with the old CS5.5 Premiere? --Problem is, the editing, rendering, exporting is SO CHOPPY. It will take me a lot of time to finish these with such prehistoric software. And I am unsure if they will be on the best of qualities. ---- BUT on the other hand, I will recover all the QuickLooks job already done on them, which also means saved time.

2- Finish them with the modern 2022 Premiere? --I will lose all the QuickTime effects and will have to re-do all that work, and also will have to re-link manually all the offline files one by one (that is, lot of time). BUT then the editing, rendering, etc will be way faster and better...

So, what would you mates do?

THANKS!

unfair

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
You should be able to install the old versions with your Adobe subscription, I haven't checked how far they go back but hopefully they have one close enough to allow you to use that plugin. If you're happy with the quality of your edit before, I wouldn't waste time redoing them in a new version, just install the compatible version and finish them up.

And yes, the solution for mismatched audio track quantities is to offline and right click each clip to replace footage with the item you want to load. At least that's how I do it for movies that have different track quantities, and it works well. You may run into other compatibility issues though, I'd recommend just finishing them in the version you started, Premiere changes significantly between versions in sometimes unexpected ways. It may introduce bugs so for a complex edit I wouldn't upgrade the project from such an old version to a new one.

ChemaVillalba

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thank you so much, Unfair.

Thing is, I already have the old version of Premiere CS5.5. But the program works so poorly, in comparisons to modern versions. It's extremeny slow, in opening a project, in rendering, in exporting... Adding effects makes it work even worse, everything slows down to a point of total frustration and boredom... So it's a frustrating experience. I thought it would be different with my new pc, but it wasn't the hardware as much as the software, seems.

So, that's basically my dilema.

unfair

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah then I guess your options are to upgrade the project or move to Davinci. I think Premiere Pro is quicker and more intuitive than Davinci personally, especially when you use Premiere's hotkeys, but you can try doing a small test project in it and see what you think.

I'm not sure if CS5.5 has it, but generally when you're trying to move a project it's easiest to export as Final Cut Pro XML (FCPXML). Davinci and newer versions of Premiere can import it, although the feature support is a bit hit or miss (for example Exponential Fades are not supported, although my script has a hack for that). If you're having problems doing a direct project upgrade in Premiere then that method is worth a shot though.

Important note though, FCPXML export in newer versions of Premiere is very broken, I don't know if these problems apply to CS5.5 too, or if it was fine back then. I have a script that fixes the XML in newer version exports, not sure if it would work on the very old versions though, their XML may be slightly different. If you want to try it give it a shot, or you can send me an XML and I'll try it and look at the XML if it doesn't work to see what's different.

Just make sure if you export the XML that you do it by clicking on the timelime file in the project pane before you go to the export menu. Otherwise it does a multi-timeline export that grabs everything and my script doesn't support that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom