• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Officially endorsed, Director approved and Studio released fanedits

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I thought maybe we had a thread to discuss "Officially endorsed, Director approved and Studio released fanedits" but maybe it just got talked about in various places?

There is Peet Gelderblom's cut of 'Raising Cain' realesed on the Arrow Video blu-ray and Orson Welles recut an existing straight 1970 BBC TV documentary by Francois Reichenbach about art forger Elmyr de Hory into a very different, more bizarre film of his own in 1975 called 'F for Fake'. But it was with the cooperation of Reichenbach, so I'm not sure it's 100% a true FAN-edit. There must be others?

One I just watched:

at-long-last-love-cinema-quad-movie-poster-(1).jpg

At Long Last Love (1975)
In a just world 'At Long Last Love' wouldn't have been a reputation-destroying bomb for writer/director/producer Peter Bogdanovich and it wouldn't have been included in a list of "The Fifty Worst Films of All Time", it would have been a celebrated popular hit. It's not the greatest movie ever made or anything but the very worst you could say about it is that it's a light and frivolous musical romantic-comedy, with an inconsequential story. Six friends (or three prospective couples) from the working, middle and upper classes drink champagne, sing, dance, fall in and out of love with one another and generally have a grand old time. They live in a heightened fantasy 1930s where bottles of Bombay London Dry are delivered with the milk in the morning and almost every dress, object and room is art-deco black, white, or silver. I thought it was fab, I laughed and laughed, was charmed by the actors (especially Cybill Shepherd) and the technical and artistic endeavours really please the eye. There are long elaborate camera moves in single takes, one dolly gracefully follows two different characters, singing live, on location, for 3-minutes. All of the songs performed are from Cole Porter's song book but you'd think they were written for the specific scenes in the film. I particularly enjoyed John Hillerman's performance as Rodney the valet, as he seemed to be channelling William Powell (in 1936's classic 'My Man Godfrey').

The 123-minute version I watched is perhaps the earliest known true "fanedit". Sometime in the late 70s Jim Blakely, a head editor at Fox, who had access to the materials, recut his own version of 'At Long Last Love' based closely on Bogdanovich's shooting script and early preview version. He secretly substituted his version for the shorter and critically dismissed theatrical cut, so when Netflix added the film to their library in 2012 they unwittingly uploaded Blakely's unofficial fan version. Bogdanovich was surprised by people suddenly telling him how much they liked 'At Long Last Love', so he gave it a watch himself for the first time in decades and discovered it was not the version he remembered. He loved it, added 90-seconds more cut material and swiftly released it in 2013 as the "Definitive Director's Version" on Blu-ray. Sadly Blakely died 5-years before his cut was discovered and before Bogdanovich could thank him.

Great thread idea @TM2YC. Arrow clearly have a soft spot for fanedits as they also released "The Ulysses Cut" of Waterworld. It merges the theatrical and TV edits, making the most complete and uncut version of Waterworld there is retaining the violence from the theatrical release and the narrative depth of the TV release. The edit had been passed along in fan circles for many years before Arrow finally released it as a bonus on their special edition blu ray release of Waterworld in 2019. The edit runs for 171 minutes a whopping 36 minutes longer than the theatrical release.

Dir. Joel Schumacher himself expressed his gratitude for scaperat in regards to his Red Book Edition of Batman Forever.

The director of Blair Witch 2: Book of Secrets acknowledged one of the two available fanedits of his film as being much closer to his original vision, and thus likely the closest we're ever likely to see of a director's cut.

This gives me something to ponder, actually: how would Schumacher's estate feel about my BF re-cut, Project: Blinko? 🤔

This gives me something to ponder, actually: how would Schumacher's estate feel about my BF re-cut, Project: Blinko? 🤔
Wouldn't he have to be dead for anyone to be concerned about what his estate thinks?

But that said, you could probably submit it to them for their consideration.

Wouldn't he have to be dead for anyone to be concerned about what his estate thinks?

But that said, you could probably submit it to them for their consideration.
He is dead, you uncultured swine. 🤦‍♂️

I suppose you could say the Alien 3: Assembly Cut could be considered a fanedit, since niether the director David Fincher or editor Terry Rawlings were involved but was instead produced by Charles de Lauzirika who wasn't involved with the original film but put together the DVD Documentaries. He worked off a rough cut and tried to ahear as closely to that as possible while cleaning things up. It's not the default version for stuff like streaming or a basic DVD release, but it's a much better cut of the film.

^ I'd either completely forgotten or didn't know Charles de Lauzirika did the A3 cut. Truly a legend of DVD bonus features. I might have to have a rewatch of that one.

Raising Cain (1992)
The thing that interested me most about seeing Brian De Palma's 'Raising Cain' was the officially sanctioned fanedit by Peet Gelderblom which is included as a bonus on the Arrow Video blu-ray set. A version that sought to put the scenes back into the non-chronological order as originally intended by De Palma's script. After watching this version, it's incredible to me that the film could ever have been presented any other way. It now begins with a first act focusing only on the heroine, which is shot in this intense, unmistakable and deliberate US-Soap-Opera "Days of Our Lives" romantic style, an effect that ends after the first murder shatters this illusion and brings the film into a darker "reality" and flashbacks into the past. To have intercut these two styles might've made the narrative simpler but would have made the direction seem incoherent and possibly incompetent. It's a real treat to see the great John Lithgow play 6? (I forget exactly how many) different characters, multiple personalities of his title character. The lengthy Steadicam sequence of Frances Sternhagen reeling off all the exposition is a masterpiece, that's how you deliver information to an audience and keep it interesting, with great acting, exciting direction and plenty of humour. Even with Gelderblom's edits there is still something about 'Raising Cain' that doesn't 100% reach the Alfred Hitchcock/'Psycho' levels it's aiming for but it's a very amusing thriller.

Raising Cain (1992)
The thing that interested me most about seeing Brian De Palma's 'Raising Cain' was the officially sanctioned fanedit by Peet Gelderblom which is included as a bonus on the Arrow Video blu-ray set. A version that sought to put the scenes back into the non-chronological order as originally intended by De Palma's script. After watching this version, it's incredible to me that the film could ever have been presented any other way. It now begins with a first act focusing only on the heroine, which is shot in this intense, unmistakable and deliberate US-Soap-Opera "Days of Our Lives" romantic style, an effect that ends after the first murder shatters this illusion and brings the film into a darker "reality" and flashbacks into the past. To have intercut these two styles might've made the narrative simpler but would have made the direction seem incoherent and possibly incompetent. It's a real treat to see the great John Lithgow play 6? (I forget exactly how many) different characters, multiple personalities of his title character. The lengthy Steadicam sequence of Frances Sternhagen reeling off all the exposition is a masterpiece, that's how you deliver information to an audience and keep it interesting, with great acting, exciting direction and plenty of humour. Even with Gelderblom's edits there is still something about 'Raising Cain' that doesn't 100% reach the Alfred Hitchcock/'Psycho' levels it's aiming for but it's a very amusing thriller.

any chance this fanedit could be listed on the IFDb?

Dir. Joel Schumacher himself expressed his gratitude for scaperat in regards to his Red Book Edition of Batman Forever.
Oh wow, I need to check this out

Raising Cain (1992)

Interesting. I'd love to see this. Any idea where to find it (other than the Arrow blu-ray)?

Back
Top Bottom