• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Obituaries

hebrides

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Multiple Emmy-winning visual effects artist Gary Hutzel, who designed many of the most iconic ships in Star Trek: TNG and Deep Space Nine, has died at age 60:

http://deadline.com/2016/03/star-tr...vfx-artist-gary-hutzel-dies-at-60-1201715429/

0e2e4ddfa3479fdcbf3bd3a5676b186019e36cfc.jpg

Vultural

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I read about Emerson's death, then Zelda and I had a discussion regarding deaths of the past couple years.
So many Brits had relocated to the States or Spain or wherever, I assume to escape Inland Revenue.

Are there any vice versa examples?
Yanks who have relocated to Britain?
Couple of actors come to mind: Gillian Anderson, Kevin Spacey.
Any musicians?

hebrides

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Vultural said:
I read about Emerson's death, then Zelda and I had a discussion regarding deaths of the past couple years.
So many Brits had relocated to the States or Spain or wherever, I assume to escape Inland Revenue.

Are there any vice versa examples?
Yanks who have relocated to Britain?
Couple of actors come to mind: Gillian Anderson, Kevin Spacey.
Any musicians?

First off, RIP to Keith Emerson, who completely made me rethink what was possible when I first heard ELP perform on (I think) HBO as part of Atlantic Records's 40th Anniversary Concert. I was, at the time, just starting to move from being a largely failed keyboard player to a guitarist, and (IIRC) I was studying how to make music with electronic keyboards as part of a class in high school taught by Ray Charles's old bandleader Reynal Richard.

Now to your question, Vultural. I can think of one: Hellecaster and member of Fairport Convention, Fotheringay, and Joan Armatrading's band (and session guitarist for The Proclaimers and XTC, among many others) Jerry Donahue.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Guy Hamilton, director of Goldfinger, Diamonds Are Forever, Live and Let Die, and Man With The Golden Gun, has passed on.

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Prince has been found dead. He was 57.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
<iframe src="https://vk.com/video_ext.php?oid=1692287&id=168060759&hash=4cf6ad4eac8d68b1" width="607" height="360" frameborder="0"></iframe>

^ One of the greatest things ever.

At about 3.40 when he sings "All the flowers that you planted sugar... in the backyard... all died when you went away" is stunning. His voice going from screaming agony, to sad regret and then wistful crooning in seconds. Genius.

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
oh, man. i wonder if he received adequate medical care in a timely fashion.

Avid4D

Reaction score
Trophy Points
One of the best performers I've seen live. We lost a modern musical legend today   :(

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
(Can't believe this one)

Nick Menza. 51.
Heart attack while playing drums with his band.

nick_menza.jpg

RIP, Nick.

2016 is officialy fucking hell for musicians.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Boxing legend Muhammad Ali dies aged 74

Very sad. I was never that into boxing, I was more a fan through the incredible Oscar winning 1996 documentary film 'When We Were Kings' and his political actions.

Damn 'When We Were Kings' has never had an HD release. Come on Universal let's have a 20th anniversary release!

Vultural

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:

Most focus on Ali as Icon, but he was an incredible prize fighter.
The first fight I saw of his was with Henry Cooper.  Everyone in the room was for Cooper (I suspect because he was white), except for me because I loved then Cassius Clay's brashness and outrageous comments.
It was an especially bloody match, but Clay had the force of destiny behind him.
For about almost decade, I was pissed off at him, until I grasped he was right, I was wrong.
A lot of people were wrong.
Hindsight, eh?

Sports pages used to be filled with boxing stats.  Win-Loss. Height - Weight - Reach. And lots of photos.  It's barely covered now.
I've heard comments of how Ali elevated the sport to global interest and fame, yet how he also, perhaps damaged it.
The toll he absorbed was catastrophic.
And perhaps as we progress down the road, we love our taste for blood sports.

Ali - R.I.P.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Holy hell that's awful. RIP. Another member of the 27 Club. :(

Top Bottom