• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Obituaries

wilhelm scream

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I feel very sad today because Gunnar Hansen (the original and best Leatherface) I will never forget him and The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (original) is my favorite horror film of all time. Rest in piece Gunnar Hansen, rest in piece.

Adabisi

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
wilhelm scream said:
I feel very sad today because Gunnar Hansen (the original and best Leatherface) I will never forget him and The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (original) is my favorite horror film of all time. Rest in piece Gunnar Hansen, rest in piece.

He's Stihl alive in our hearts.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I guess this thread is as good as any...

Just wanted to say that I'm thinking of our members from France this morning. Hope you and your families are all okay. I don't really know what else to say right now.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The world seems a little less scary again after watching this rare impassioned speech from the BBC's finest Political journalist Andrew Neil...

...f**k yes! Vive la France.

hebrides

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
RIP to my dad, who passed away this morning at age 79. Ironically, he and my mom had just moved to assisted living on Friday (for those of you not in the US, it's kind of an intermediate step between living at home and living in a nursing home -- you have your own apartment, but there's extra care available if you need it and your meals are included). He wasn't a film or TV star, though we all appeared on the morning news way back in 1982 as part of a feature on this newfangled thing called "personal computing." He was a doctor, and he treated and/or knew a number of famous people: Cab Calloway and Benoit Mandelbrot (father of the fractal) were both patients, and Anna Adams, another patient, used to perform live accompaniment to silent films and was the best friend of Liliian (or was it Dorothy?) Gish. He also knew Dr. Oz as a colleague years before Oz became a TV star, and Warren Zevon's cousin Sandy was another doctor at the hospital.

My dad had a head for trivia, particularly for old ads and "that guy" actors, which is one of the traits he passed on to me. One of his favorites was Eugene Pallette, who played Friar Tuck in The Adventures of Robin Hood and Fray Felipe in The Mark of Zorro, both of which he watched with us many times as my brother and I were growing up. He could do a perfect impression of Pallette saying "Forgive me, Lord!" after knocking out a guard, which Pallette did in Robin Hood and (IIRC) recreated in MOZ a few years later. He also did a great impression of Feodor Chaliapin, Jr., saying, "I'm so confused!" in Moonstruck. And he was a huge fan of Sid Caesar and Your Show of Shows, so that when I saw My Favorite Year (one of Peter O'Toole's best films and one of my favorites), I knew who Joe Bologna as King Kaiser was supposed to be.

He also used to quote the tag line from a fake ad, I think from the Ernie Kovacs Show, for Old Frothingslosh, "the pale, stale ale with the foam on the bottom."

He was the kindest, sweetest man I ever knew, and while I didn't exactly follow in his footsteps, I try to bring the same warmth and empathy to my interactions with students that he did in his visits with patients. I hope I bring some of that here too. At the very least, I'm quite sure that my love of acting, movies, and the whole craft of entertaining comes in large measure from him. I miss you, Dad, and thank you.

ETA: Olde Frothingslosh was not from the Ernie Kovacs Show after all! As it happens, it was part of a radio show by Rege Cordic on KDKA, a Pittsburgh radio station my dad must have listened to when he was at the University of Pittsburgh for medical school. While there, he used to watch TV with a mouse that lived in his apartment wall and would come out whenever the TV was on, and he also told a story about how he slipped on a very steep, very icy hill in the winter and would have gone straight into oncoming traffic if his slide hadn't been stopped by a convenient mailbox. Anyway, after all these years, I now know the true source of the fake ad, and I can add it to my (and your) collection of useless trivia. He'd be proud of that, I think.

hebrides

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Neglify said:
RIP Hebrides the Elder.

I've never thought of him that way before, and now I think I always will. Thanks, Neg.

Vultural

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sorry, Hebrides.
Always distressing to lose a member of the home team.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Condolences, my good man.

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Dude, I hope he wasn't in much pain or other discomfort toward the end. Best wishes to you & your famuri, heb.

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sorry to hear that Heb. Thoughts are with you and family.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Very sorry to hear about your loss. My sympathies to you and your family.

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Scott Weiland, lead singer of Stone Temple Pilots, died last night.

Source

Adabisi

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Q2 said:
Scott Weiland, lead singer of Stone Temple Pilots, died last night.

Source

I remember spinning the hell out of Core and Purple back in high school. Most of STP's stuff still holds up. Definitely one of the better Yarl Bands of the 90s. Sad news, but I can't say I'm surprised. Honestly, it's a wonder he made it this far.

Top Bottom