• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Obituaries

/\ Simply the best. Better than all the rest.

Cormac McCarthy. Author of No Country For Old Men, The Road, and the screenplay for The Counselor, though I, like many, consider Blood Meridian his masterpiece.

Charles Wilkinson. He was my water law professor as an undergraduate. He literally wrote the book on western water resource management with Crossing the Next Meridian. He was also a huge advocate for Native American law and justice.

RIP Julian Sands 1958-2023
A fine British actor starring in a wide range of films including "Room with a view", "Naked Lunch", "Leaving Las Vegas", "Arachnophobia", "Oceans 13" and "Warlock" to name a few.

MV5BMTUwNjUzNzA0M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzU5MDkwMw@@._V1_.jpg

^ Awwww. A madman of cinema. I can't recommend the career-retrospective doc he did 'Friendkin Uncut' enough (https://letterboxd.com/tm2yc/film/friedkin-uncut/):

Just in case anybody hasn't seen it, his hilarious conversation with Refn:

I've only seen half of his movies and he's got another one coming out next month. Hope it's a great one to go out on.

Goodbye, Mark Margolis (1939-2023)
I'll always remember him for his three roles - Hector Salamanca in Breaking Bad, Alberto "The Shadow" in Scarface.

And one and only Mr Shikadance,

Robbie Robertson, leader of The Band, dies aged 80

Great musician and has worked with Scorsese since Raging Bull on the music for his films, plus the score for the forthcoming new Scorsese film. The last Waltz' is highly recommended:

Sixto Rodriguez: Searching for Sugar Man singer dies aged 81

Andy Votel's 2005 "crate digging" psychedelic rock CD 'Songs In The Key Of Death' is my vote for the greatest mixtape ever.

None of the obscure tracks or samples are named (to this day I only recognise 3 or 4 of them), so when the mysterious Sixto Rodriguez's two LPs were remastered and released in 2008 I went "Hey that's the guy off track 3!" (the Rodriguez track 'Only Good for Conversation') and bought both. What a revelation, two unknown LPs of back-to-back instant 1970s classics. Then the acclaimed 'Searching for Sugar Man' documentary came out in 2012 and I was lucky to get a ticket to see him live a few months after at the Roundhouse in London to a packed crowd cheering him like a long-lost Dylan...

It's very sad he's gone but so glad he died as the star he always should have been. At least he had a last decade of acclaim, playing Glastonbury and hopefully earning some money.

The day came and took two of my most revered heroes. Sixto Rodriguez & Robbie Robertson - a durable pair, but now inevitably bereft of immortality.

A foreshadowing purchase of the 4K criterion release of the Last Waltz with a receipt date of 9th August -just hours before Robbie finally took "a load off fanny" .....strange how on this day i clicked the purchase button again that i have done so often, not knowing ..i've owned every format of Scorsese's masterwork since VHS in the 80's and i buy the final format i am ever likely to buy on the day he shuffled off this Mortal Coil...My Middle child is even named after a Robbie Robertson masterpiece.

As for Rodriguez, what can i say. My first ever internet search in 1994 was to find out if he was still alive. Did he die on stage or commit suicide, as was the rumour and the discussion that was had with my Antipodean friends before they introduced to me and passed me a cd copy of At His Best when i was living in OZ. From the first notes of "Crucify your Mind" i was hooked. I needed to find out everything about the mysterious Jesus Rodriguez, as we called him then...i was temporarily obsessed and if i had the means at the time - i would now be known as Malik Bendjelloul and i don't say that lightly or with any narcissistic intent. I truly missed the boat and at the time in 1994 i was going to be a young father and was a bit distracted to say the least, so the intent to find him was put on the back burner.
On the web in the mid 90's, a small community of fans were corresponded with and I often frequented The Great Rodriguez Hunt website set up by Stephen Sugar Segerman in 1997 - In the end, i got a phone call in 1998 by my brother - to be told -in great faith by a South African co-worker that Rodriguez had been found ..truly remarkable.
Another first for me in the ever advancing technology of the 90's was to burn my friends Rodriguez CD's . Importing music from Australia at the time was not easy and i constantly got hassled for copies of CD's and Cassettes -lost revenue maybe for him but i liked to think i was spreading the love and it was a different time...these very friends contacted me yesterday - some i hadn't heard from in years, they sent condolences as if i personally knew the man. I didn't of course...but through his songs i certainly felt like i did. He and Robbie Robertson of the Band certainly have contributed to the soundtrack of my life and will continue to do so, until i join them in the next life.

I finally got to see the man Live in London in 2005. 11 years after first being enlightened, and then again at the Barbican in 2009. My final night with him was in Florida in 2018. This was extra special - very intimate and i took along family members including my Middle child with the Robbie Robertson song inspired name.

thanks for your time.
Then you can thank me for mine
And after that's said
Forget it.

RIP Julian Sands 1958-2023
A fine British actor starring in a wide range of films including "Room with a view", "Naked Lunch", "Leaving Las Vegas", "Arachnophobia", "Oceans 13" and "Warlock" to name a few.

Julian's acting chops rather irritated me back in the day but over time i seem to appreciate his uniqueness - may he rest in peace.
This post reminds me that i must finish my "Boxing Helena" edit , i only started it about 8 years ago. I would love Arrow or Vinegar Syndrome boutique label to release a high definition version of the film.

Julian's acting chops rather irritated me back in the day but over time i seem to appreciate his uniqueness - may he rest in peace.
This post reminds me that i must finish my "Boxing Helena" edit , i only started it about 8 years ago. I would love Arrow or Vinegar Syndrome boutique label to release a high definition version of the film.

Yes, a bluray version is welcome indeed.
I’ve not seen it for years, don’t have it on dvd either.
An old vhs tape is all I have for now.

So how is the Edit coming along?
Ageing like a fine wine?

Paul Reubens passed away the other day, I'm surprised that nobody posted about it here. I wasn't alive to witness him in his prime, but I've gone back to watch Pee Wee's Big Adventure plenty of times. I don't know the full extent of his past controversies, maybe I'm out of the loop and the reason that nobody posted about him is because he's generally hated, I don't know. What I do know is that he's a very iconic actor, and hearing about his death was shocking to me.

Paul Reubens passed away the other day, I'm surprised that nobody posted about it here. I wasn't alive to witness him in his prime, but I've gone back to watch Pee Wee's Big Adventure plenty of times. I don't know the full extent of his past controversies, maybe I'm out of the loop and the reason that nobody posted about him is because he's generally hated, I don't know. What I do know is that he's a very iconic actor, and hearing about his death was shocking to me.
I enjoyed his show back in the day - when I was so young as to not realize that it was more of a children's show for adults. Still made me laugh. He had a few appearances on Reno 911, including the movie as something of a years-in-the-making punchline. Mystery Men was one of those movies that was ahead of its time in concept, but behind the times in execution.

EDIT: Removing comments on controversy. There was a second one I was not aware of and am not informed enough to comment further.

Rest in peace Pee Wee.

And more seriously - sad to hear about Sixto Rodriguez. Searching for Sugar Man was such a magical movie, a rare "too good to be true but it actually is" story. I wonder if he had recorded any new material since then? I hope we've not heard the last of him yet.

I'm a little late, but a few days ago Johnny Hardwick passed away.

His voice of Dale Gribble from King of the Hill will always be burned into my memory.

70/80s Pro wrestling legend who reinvented himself countless times, becoming at one point a hardcore style pioneer, Terry Funk was everywhere at one point, from the NWA, to WCW, to WWF and ECW, feuding famously with the likes of Nature Boy Ric Flair, and he even briefly was part of the fabled attitude era as 'Chainsaw Charlie'. In the John Cena era, he teamed with Tommy Dreamer in 2006 to combat the rated-r superstar Edge and Funk's prodigy Mick Foley.
He passed away this week aged 79. Tributes have flooded in from Foley, Ric, and current WWE rival AEW.
Memories that will last forever...forever....forever...forever...forever...forever...forever....forever....FOREVER, EVER, FOREVER, FOREVER

And now current WWE superstar Bray Wyatt has died of COVID complications aged just 36.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom