• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Obi-Wan Kenobi

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I’m surprised no one has any reaction so far. My in-laws are in town so we were away in Prague this week, but I just watched with my more SW interested son. We both thought it was an okay start.
In my opinion it’s better than both Mandalorian and Boba Fett. Consider I thought Mandalorian was okay and Boba Fett was shit, take that for what it’s worth.

henzINNIT

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I was interested at some point, but not so much anymore. Gonna see how people feel once it's over. May check it out then if the word is good. Got very quickly burnt out on both Star Wars spin-offs and Disney+ shows. Didn't think much of the trailers either tbh.

SIUse

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Personally i think (as of two episodes) it‘s tonally better than i expected it but there are some story points i absolutely cannot understand (right now):

- the delivery of who vader is to obi-wan by reva. Tonally as well as whom told him. How does she know, yet to be seen
- reva as marry sue character and killing of the grand inquisitor as if he‘s no match for her. Hopefully she does face consequences by vaders hand

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Personally i think (as of two episodes) it‘s tonally better than i expected it but there are some story points i absolutely cannot understand (right now):

- the delivery of who vader is to obi-wan by reva. Tonally as well as whom told him. How does she know, yet to be seen
- reva as marry sue character and killing of the grand inquisitor as if he‘s no match for her. Hopefully she does face consequences by vaders hand
The ‘Mary Sue’ term is trite. Please refrain from using it in the future.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The ‘Mary Sue’ term is trite. Please refrain from using it in the future.
I didn’t even want to acknowledge it. It’s ludicrous in almost all context, but I can’t see how it even applies here.

Last edited:

hothstation

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I respect the opinion of those who enjoyed Kenobi, but I feel this show will further deconstruct the character and canon continuity. From my perspective, the lack of logic and bad acting in many scenes just further damages the IP.

Hymie

Reaction score
Trophy Points
It would have made more sense to have included an explanation in the prequels as to why Ben Kenobi was called "Obi-Wan" during the clone wars and what it meant.

His name is Obi-Wan, he only changed it to Ben when in hiding as shown in the show.

As for the show, I'm cautiously optimistic. I can't say I'm fond of the actress playing the Third Sister, she doesn't seem very good but perhaps she's better at some things more than others. Watching the opening scene, its obvious how she knows Anakin is Vader and that revelation was necessary for Obi-Wan to learn as he definitely knows by A New Hope that Vader is alive. Also, it gives Vader something to do and eventually someone to kill, as we know he can't really confront Obi-Wan so the likely big duel will probably be him taking out Reva.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I thought it suffered from prequel-itis as the tension was non-existent for plot lines that were obviously supposed to be tense. The action, like BoBF, seemed pretty lame. But I thought it was great to see some good acting. I thought even MacGregor was bad in the prequels (even if he was among the least bad), but he was really good in these first two episodes. My kids are nine and seem a lot older than the kids in this show that are supposed to be 10. I’m pretty familiar with that age as I taught fourth grade. It seems the girl was about 8 when filming but she seemed even younger than that to me. My guess is that they plan on doing at least a second season so they don’t want these kids to get to puberty too quickly.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
His name is Obi-Wan, he only changed it to Ben when in hiding as shown in the show.

I'm gonna stubbornly keep calling him by his official Original Trilogy name "Ben (Obi-Wan) Kenobi". Everything after that is fanfiction :LOL: .

Plissken1138

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
sorry for the off-topic but I noticed that this embedded reddit video doesn't show player controls and plays automatically (any options to have embedded video/audio autoplay sellectable?), and more problematic, it autoplays in quoted post also...

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
sorry for the off-topic but I noticed that this embedded reddit video doesn't show player controls and plays automatically (any options to have embedded video/audio autoplay sellectable?), and more problematic, it autoplays in quoted post also...
FWIW it doesn’t auto play for me. Although to get Yakety Sax playing every time I opened the thread wouldn’t be so bad. 😜

Plissken1138

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
FWIW it doesn’t auto play for me. Although to get Yakety Sax playing every time I opened the thread wouldn’t be so bad. 😜
weird, my global ff settings allow autoplay but youtube or vimeo embedded here doesn't autoplay. and on reddit it's set not to autoplay... anyhoo, I found the per site block in ff so it's sorted. :)
kenobi on.

edit:

omg, that laser ramp scene in ep3 is so embarrassing...

Last edited:

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
the first half of the episode is just terrible. There is no other word to describe how bad it was. Second half was okay ruined by Vader forgetting how to use the force 15-seconds after using it. And how did the Third Sister get ahead of Leia? And how did the woman helping Oni-Wan get out of the tunnel without bumping into the Third Sister?

So many stupid moments.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Unfortunately, this is feeling half baked. As I’ve said before, I strongly feel Star Wars needs to branch out beyond the characters and storylines that already exist. Filling in gaps is not the way to go and it all feels a bit fan filmy. I think it mostly worked for s1 of Mandalorian and Rogue One because despite being set in and around the known timeline, it focused on new characters. Mandalorian went off the rails, IMO, when it started to try ti tie to existing characters and storylines too much. But, that being said, my kid still really enjoys it and so I’m having fun watching with him.

hothstation

Reaction score
Trophy Points
As someone who has read many of the books since the mid-nineties, I truly feel that Star Wars is officially broken in-half with this latest project. To me, it's effectively dissolved. I hate the fact that the once-best cinematic IP of all time [IMO] is dead in the water.

Hymie

Reaction score
Trophy Points
the first half of the episode is just terrible. There is no other word to describe how bad it was. Second half was okay ruined by Vader forgetting how to use the force 15-seconds after using it. And how did the Third Sister get ahead of Leia? And how did the woman helping Oni-Wan get out of the tunnel without bumping into the Third Sister?

So many stupid moments.

I would assume that there are multiple exits to the tunnel, as it would be stupid not to case of an infiltration. As for the Third Sister, she likely simply figured out where the tunnel would end and went around the normal way to get there before Leia emerged from the exit.

As for the ending confrontation, I would imagine Vader wants a fight, and all he sees is an old man who is too unconnected from the Force and unwilling to truly fight back, so he simply let him go. I'm assuming by Episode 6 Obi-Wan will realize he needs to confront Vader and gets it together and we get a real lightsaber fight between the two before Obi-Wan escapes again.

revel911

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I would assume that there are multiple exits to the tunnel, as it would be stupid not to case of an infiltration. As for the Third Sister, she likely simply figured out where the tunnel would end and went around the normal way to get there before Leia emerged from the exit.

As for the ending confrontation, I would imagine Vader wants a fight, and all he sees is an old man who is too unconnected from the Force and unwilling to truly fight back, so he simply let him go. I'm assuming by Episode 6 Obi-Wan will realize he needs to confront Vader and gets it together and we get a real lightsaber fight between the two before Obi-Wan escapes again.

That was my thought as well. It's not that Vader couldn't use the force or forgot, he just felt Obi-wan at this point was not even the shell he wanted him to be and barely worth his time.

I am super excited to fan edit this into a movie. Yes, there are some moments of really bad dialogue and a some stupid chase scenes, but all can be removed. There is also just the chance to bring Star Wars elements via music and transition wipes to give it more of that visual connectiveness.

Top Bottom