• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

NTSC VHS tape on PAL VHS recorder??

T-HOPE

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I need help. I've got a VHS tape from the USA. It's in NTSC but I have a PAL VHS recorder. So when I play the tape in my recorder, I only get a black screen with some white stripes/lines. I can hear some music softly, but I don't have any visuals....

I want to record this video with a DVD recorder while I play it on my VHS recorder. But my VHS recorder doesn't show anything.

So I really need some good advice from you guys!!! :)

Unfortunately you'll need to buy an NTSC compatible PAL VCR im afraid. good news is it shouldn't cost that much, i paid abotu ?40 for mine three years ago.

If you can still find one, that is.

What movie is it, anyways?

Aztek463 said:
If you can still find one, that is.

What movie is it, anyways?
It's a VHS tape from Universal Studios Florida:
VHS32AUniversalFlorida.jpg

UNIVERSAL STUDIOS FLORIDA: EXPERIENCE THE MAGIC OF MOVIES.
[NTSC & PAL / 1994 / 57 MINS] Hosted by John Forsythe, this park promotional film captures all the highlights of your exciting trip to Universal Studios Florida: Terminator 2, 3-D; Barney; E.T. Adventure; Back to the Future ? The Ride; Earthquake ? The Big One; Jaws - The Great White Terror; King Kong; BeetleJuice; Stunt Shows; Behind the Scenes special effects; movie post production, and much more. Come on in and ride the movies! It?s all here!

There's a part of Terminator 2 3D that I want to have in digital format so I can use it for my Terminator 2 3D DVD.

My neighbour has a NTSC player and he could play the tape, but while he was loading it into Pinnacle, he also got black screens with white lines.

EDIT:
One more note. I think they are 2 versions of this tape. One has T23D, one doesn't. Because someone has posted the tape on youtube, but he didn't have the T23D part on the tape he told me. He said there were 2 released version of this tape.

T-Hope, i can't really help with your problem, so good luck on that! But, i figured i'd mention an item about T2-3D that you may/may not know about. Years ago when T2-3D was a new thing, there was this TV show called "Movie magic", and it had an episode dedicated to the making-of T2-3D. It was very good and interesting. Do you have this? If not, it is very much worth hunting down for your collection (if it's even possible to find anymore). I wish i had recorded it, actually.

First, I managed to play the tape finally. Found some VHS recorder that oculd play NTSC tapes. Tomorrow I'm going to try to record it into digital format.

Sprug's decapitated head said:
T-Hope, i can't really help with your problem, so good luck on that! But, i figured i'd mention an item about T2-3D that you may/may not know about. Years ago when T2-3D was a new thing, there was this TV show called "Movie magic", and it had an episode dedicated to the making-of T2-3D. It was very good and interesting. Do you have this? If not, it is very much worth hunting down for your collection (if it's even possible to find anymore). I wish i had recorded it, actually.
Movie Magic, it doesn't ring a bell at all. I don't have it.
I have a making-of-featurette from the T2 Ultimate Edition DVD: The Making of 'Terminator 2: 3-D' - Breaking The Screen Barrier. Is this perhaps the same one?

Sounds like a very interesting episode. I did a quick google search and came up with 2 hits from IMDB:
"Movie Magic" (1994)
"Movie Magic" (1998)
Knowing that T23D was released the first time in 1996, I'm guessing I have to deal with 1998 series. However, it's hard to find any info about it. IMDB doesn't have an episode list for the 1998 series.

the NTSC problem.

I have found a NTSC player, it plays the tape. When I want to record via a DVD recorder while playing the tape in the VHS recorder, it doesn't show the red color.

When I try to record the VHS tape with another VHS recorder, I get a black/white version.

Now I am trying to plug the VHS recorder somehow directly into my computer via a COAX cable, but my computer doesn't spot the (source of) input.

So... suggestions please, 'cause I really need this part from the tape as digital format.

get a wintv card. just avoid the external ones like the plague, my neighbour has an external hauppauge WinTV card and it produces the most horrible 'interlacing type' artifacts.

again they're about ?40.

nOmArch said:
get a wintv card. just avoid the external ones like the plague, my neighbour has an external hauppauge WinTV card and it produces the most horrible 'interlacing type' artifacts.

again they're about ?40.
My mother found some DVD recorder and mananged to record it properly, but with very low sound volume. I think in the end, we can pull this off :)

Low sound is probably one of the least problematic things you could have come across. I hope it all works out for you! :)

twistd101 said:
Low sound is probably one of the least problematic things you could have come across. I hope it all works out for you! :)
It is indeed not the biggest problem. I'm already glad that I have got decent visuals now. :)

Sprug's decapitated head said:
Years ago when T2-3D was a new thing, there was this TV show called "Movie magic", and it had an episode dedicated to the making-of T2-3D. It was very good and interesting. Do you have this? If not, it is very much worth hunting down for your collection (if it's even possible to find anymore). I wish i had recorded it, actually.
I actually bumped into someone via mail who has this episode:
Making of T23D endoskeleton sequence, Movie Magic special - 5min
That should be it, I believe. So now I'm waiting for his reply on how I can get my hands on it :)

Btw, google told me there are more interesting episodes of that Movie Magic show:

Episode 104 "Baby Blasts"

"including the demolition of a gas tanker truck in The Terminator"

Episode 107 "Fast and Furious"

"This episode reveals how they staged the nuclear destruction of Los Angeles in Terminator 2: Judgment Day, the Alien Queen/power loader sequence in Aliens, and a
catastrophic bus crash in Heart and Souls"

Episode 112 "Digital Dawn"

"a look back at ILM's earlier breakthroughs in digital animation, including work on Willow, The Abyss and Terminator 2: Judgment Day."

Episode 114

"Painting by Numbers"

" This episode shows how the digital wizards at Pacific Data Images employed the technique in Terminator 2: Judgment Day, Heart and Souls and The Babe."

Episode 311 "Creating With Characters" -

"This episode traces the amazing career of visual effects legend Stan Winston, one of Hollywood's masters of
character creation, and features never-before-seen footage on the design and creation of Stan Winston Studio's characters in Jurassic Park, Terminator 2: Judgment Day, Congo, Batman Returns, Edward Scissorhands and Aliens."

Episode 505 Robots - "Mechanical Movie Stars"

"Visit the set of Short Circuit, where effects artists create a fully functional robot named Johnny #5. We'll also take you behind the scenes of a high-tech ride film, Terminator 2-3D, where creature creator Stan Winston and director James Cameron polish up their cyber-killers for a whole new dimension of theme park entertainment."

Back
Top Bottom