• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

NTSC or PAL? Please help

razil

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hi everyone.

I'm doing my first project and I have a big doubt. I'm editing with adobe premier pro cs4 and the output movie is a MP4 file. I think this is Ok for fanedit projects (I don't know how to make DVDs). If there is any problem with this please advise me.

The doubt is that when I set the settings I usually use PAL, since I'm european, but I don't know if american people will need NTSC, or if with a MP4 file it doesn't matter at all.

If NTSC is needed, when I change the settings, premier change de fps to 59,94, even if the original source is at 25. Do I have to leave the 59,94 or do I have to change to the original source fps?

Thank you very much.

if your output is MP4, I would keep the source framerate.

Thank you ThrowgnCpr. But would I need to set it in PAL, NTSC or it doesn't matter?

If the source is PAL, keep it PAL. If the source is NTSC, keep it NTSC. Etc.

Agree with the above, but I have a question for you -> are you doing 60 fps? Did I read that right?

I wasn't 100% from your post, but... are you asking what framerate to edit/start-off-with, so that much later down the line, you have the right framerate for making the DVD and don't run into problems after all the hard editing work?

If so, then stick with the source framerate as is said above. However, I like buying PAL-DVDs to work from (I Much prefer Blu-Rays of course) because it's so easy to convert back to filmspeed, if I so wish (Because it has an identical number of frames to the original movie, they just play at a different speed). If your source is a Blu-Ray you can easily render an HD-MP4 at the original 23.97fps and then produce a slightly shorter 25fps SD-PAL-DVD... or just stick with 25fps for the MP4 and DVD (The much easier option).

In my experience, in 99% of cases, people's DVD-players will play both PAL and NTSC homemade DVDs just fine (It's the region-locking on official DVDs they have trouble with). So I wouldn't worry too much about what framerate you release your edit in, as long as it's correct from the source. Although I know some people have a strong aversion to the speeding up of the audio from PAL (I'm not one of them).

I've learned the hard way that getting the source set up right is almost the most important part if you want a good result at the othe end. As my old Maths teacher used to say about complex equations...

"Garbage in - garbage out"

So take the time to get it right before starting to edit. Or do a few tests. Hope that helps :).

TM2YC said:
In my experience, in 99% of cases, people's DVD-players will play both PAL and NTSC homemade DVDs just fine (It's the region-locking on official DVDs they have trouble with). So I wouldn't worry too much about what framerate you release your edit in, as long as it's correct from the source.

I've seen a lot of players that won't play PAL, pal.

TM2YC said:
Although I know some people have a strong aversion to the speeding up of the audio from PAL (I'm not one of them).

I am one of them.

Agree with all the other stuff you said.

reave said:
I've seen a lot of players that won't play PAL, pal.

Oh really? I've never encountered a single piece of hardware in my life that didn't also play the NTSC stuff I've imported. Maybe that's just the UK though and US DVD players often don't "swing both ways" ;-)?

Really. I would say the majority of NTSC players don't bat for the other team. Most that do have to have a hack applied first. Out of three standalone players in my house, one plays PAL.

Most of my understanding is that most PAL machines will read NTSC,
whereas NTSC units, especially USA units, will not decipher PAL.
Even my BluRay, I paid a bit extra for a tricked out model that is both formats, and all region.

Depends on the USA unit, as both reave and I can attest to.

Ken Poirier said:
Agree with the above, but I have a question for you -> are you doing 60 fps? Did I read that right?

He's probably bob-deinterlacing 30i content to 60p. Assuming it's some sort of videotaped content (as opposed to telecined film material), his best option would be a 30i NTSC release for DVD, and a 60p release for any standalone video versions that aren't meant to be streamed. Streaming sites like vimeo cap out at 30 frames per second, so he should either drop half the fields or use a blend deinterlace for any streaming versions. Again, assuming it isn't a film source.

@matrixgrindhouse That was my guess. I was trying to figure what he is going to do with 60fps. Last time I heard some one say 60fps they ended up wasting a half million dollars on an Italian vacation.

[video=youtube_share;pfOJhDEVHbg]

Back
Top Bottom