• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

NTSC avi into PAL avi

FatherMerrin

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I know there's advice on how to convert DVD from PAL to NTSC. But, I was wondering if anyone knew how to convert an NTSC Avi into a PAL Avi?

Thanks,
FM

Not sure if it's necessary, but you can change the framerate using a program like Super or TMPGEnc. I figured an avi was an avi.

Thanks for the advice reave. I tried Super but sadly my PC wasn't up to it. I know it's a bit of an odd thing to do. The thing is I've downloaded a load of documentaries that I wanted to burn to DVD & some of the docs were PAL others NTSC & I wanted to make them all the same format to burn in Nero 7.

well if your burning them to dvd why dont you use tmpgenc?

Couldn't get to grips with tmpgenc it kept on turning 300MB avi's into 4GB files which was a pain. In the end I just encoded all of them into NTSC.

reave said:
Not sure if it's necessary, but you can change the framerate using a program like Super or TMPGEnc. I figured an avi was an avi.
Yes, but there are still legitimate reasons for changing a frame rate, for instance a 24fps AVI when played in a compatible DVD-player may force an NTSC output, and a 25fps AVI may force a PAL output. Obviously if you live in a PAL region your TV is most likely calibrated for PAL, and NTSC - while it may look perfectly acceptable - may not be as well calibrated. On the other hand, in NTSC countries it's possible that an NTSC TV isn't PAL-friendly at all, thus forcing you to convert the AVI. Converting to standard MPEG2-DVD-format may not even be required at all.

I dont know what's the point with converting from Pal to NTSC and viceversa. On all TV sets which i tried (and most of them were 10 or more years old) both PAL and NTSC videos works well.

Enson said:
I dont know what's the point with converting from Pal to NTSC and viceversa. On all TV sets which i tried (and most of them were 10 or more years old) both PAL and NTSC videos works well.

This is definately NOT the case for most USA viewers. The majority of TVs are set to NTSC display, so even if the DVD player can play both formats it will not be able to be viewed properly on the TV. There are players (like Oppo's) that convert PAL to NTSC on the fly for viewing these on PAL discs on NTSC displays (and vice versa). Most other regions do not have this problem, its primarily a North American issue.

This is definately NOT the case for most USA viewers.

I Live in Europe and here - everything is in PAL, but even old TV sets when I play NTSC movies (AVI or DVD) on them, have no problem with it (but on the other hand PSX console back in 90's played NTSC games in black & white only). But if you say in US there is problem with PAL it seems that there really is.

Back
Top Bottom