• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Now and Then - the Beatles' final "new" release

Listened /watched it. Sounds like a Beatles tune, though John's vocals sounded a bit processed. Would I be correct in thinking that I thought I had read that they had used some AI voice cloning of his voice to finish the song?

Listened /watched it. Sounds like a Beatles tune, though John's vocals sounded a bit processed. Would I be correct in thinking that I thought I had read that they had used some AI voice cloning of his voice to finish the song?
So my understanding is that the AI is the same as the AI separation software we discuss here. Things such as Lalal.ai. They simply used it to extract Lennon’s voice from the piano so it could be mixed effectively.

That said, I do agree his voice—and indeed the whole track—sounds over-processed to me. I like the song and think it’s a gorgeous progression, but it doesn’t sound like the Beatles to me. Partly due to the processing and production and partly due to the lack of what I think of as signature Beatles qualities; Ringo’s playful beats and Paul’s inventive bass lines are mostly absent. My understanding is they worked on it some back before Anthology was released so it would’ve been great to get some Harrison lead work. Plus the string arrangement is pretty blah. When I think of the strings for Lennon songs like Strawberry Fields or Walrus, the strings are really unique. They always sounded like McCartney bass lines to me actually. It’s neat to hear, but like Free as a Bird or Real Love, I probably won’t revisit much.

I'm not a big fan of the Beatles but I like the melancholy here. I thought the song at first didn't sound like a Beatles one, but the final progression is more akin to what I've heard in the past, I think. anyways, the production feels very modern and that is definitely one of the reason I think it doesn't sound exactly like a Fab four tune. I would be curious to hear a version produced like they did in the '60s...

An interesting mini-documentary on the song:

If nothing else - it's a much better "from beyond the grave" type of release than that Michael Jackson / Freddie Mercury "duet" from a few years back. This does sound comparable to something from late in the Beatles' career - or even what a reunion could have sounded like in the 80s, etc. I like it. Bittersweet.

Back
Top Bottom