• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Notable Cover Songs

I was being facetious. They were/are one of my all time favorite bands. They have been accused repeatedly of stealing the bulk of a number of blues songs to create their alledged originals. It came to a climax when they were accused of stealing a song by Sweet to create the entire Stairway to Heaven composition up to the climax. It may be plagiarism at its best. Still love it, though.

Perhaps they were the first band to fanedit songs?
Is Sweet different from the Spirit case? I do think Zeppelin should’ve credited more of the early blues guys. They did eventually. The Spirit Stairway thing is ridiculous and only had legs because most people don’t understand music or copyright law. I won’t belabor the point, but the part in question is a chord progression and a very common one at that—a line cliché—and chord progressions can’t be copyrighted. Yeah it sound similar but that doesn’t matter.

No. You are correct on Spirit. I get those two bands confused sometimes.

I understand chords, chord progressions, music theory and definitely copyright law. I agree with everything you state, mostly. Composition can be copyrighted and that was the argument. But I believe they won that one for the reasons that you state. Besides, the best part of that song was original without debate.

If we did a list of the best songs ever written, I would place it near the top, in any case.

No. You are correct on Spirit. I get those two bands confused sometimes.

I understand chords, chord progressions, music theory and definitely copyright law. I agree with everything you state, mostly. Composition can be copyrighted and that was the argument. But I believe they won that one for the reasons that you state. Besides, the best part of that song was original without debate.

If we did a list of the best songs ever written, I would place it near the top, in any case.
I hope you didn’t think I was directing that at you. I was talking about the casual music fans that heard the two parts side by side and decided LZ was guilty. Lone clichés are called clichés for a reason; they are common. I’m not sure George Harrison ever wrote a song without one. That’s an exaggeration but, they are very common. I wouldn’t doubt that Page heard Spirit’s song and decided to riff on the same technique, but that’s not plagiarism. Anyway, I hope I didn’t seem confrontational; it wasn’t my intent.

Absolutely, not. I know you weren't. I would have defended Morrison in the same manner. Many people say he was just a drunken buffoon. I get very offended. He was a genius who was so far ahead of his time, there was really no way to categorize The Doors. For some it's The Mighty Zep, others Sabbath, others AC/DC, others KISS (seriously?) and some Metallica (really?). For me, it's The Doors.

The only band that truly impressed me in the last fourty years was Nirvana. And I really wasn't a huge fan. I just got it.

Music opinion is very very subjective.

Back
Top Bottom