• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

(nontrue)PAL into NTSC framerate problem...

S

steFANedit

I'm making a fanedit for a movie that is an american one, so I guess my copy of it isn't true PAL.
now I want to turn my PAL DVD into NTSC so I did this:

I used PgcDemux and then DGIndex
I wrote a script in AviSynth that reads:

Load_Stdcall_plugin("C:\Program Files\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\yadif.dll")
Mpeg2source("D:\.....\DGIndex Project File.d2v")
Yadif(Mode=1)
Srestore()
Spline36Resize(720,480)
LimitedSharpenFaster()
ConverttoRGB()

I used this exact script before when I made a fanedit of Diary of the Dead and so I figured it might work now also
but the thing is, the videoout sometimes "jumps", like a frame or so. most noticeable is in the beginning of the movie when there is a tracking shot of a car driving down the road.

I edit the video in Vegas using the output settings:
720x480
Field order: Lower field first
Pixel aspect ratio: 1,2121
Frame rate: 23,976 + 2-3 pulldown

I don't understand what you mean by nontrue PAL. Is it possible it's actually NTSC already?

I don't know if the term "nontrue" is correct. Let me re-explain; The DVD I bought is PAL region 2 (I live in Sweden) and the movie is American, so (and here is my guess) the conversion should be different than if the PAL region 2 DVD was of a Swedish movie, correct? Because it's a PAL version of what originally was a NTSC version?

The script that you are using is the one that I sent you for a specific disc, steFANedit. It doesn't work for all PAL-to-NTSC conversions; in fact, it doesn't work for most. Send me a sample, but I suspect that the case that you are dealing with is the one outlined in step 2b of the FAQ of my guide.

also most ntsc material is almost always upper field first not lower (in very rare cases having the reverse field order will cause picture jumps when playing)

think all my fanedits, ever, has been none (progressive scan)
I send the Captain a PM with a sample.

The sample was normal PAL material. It was simply handled wrongly. The issue is resolved.

Back
Top Bottom