• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

NLE of choice

Which NLE (video editing program) do you use?

• Sony Vegas Pro

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Sony Movie Studio

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Adobe Premiere

Votes: 8 26.7%
  • Final Cut

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • Avid Pro

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Womble MPEG Video Wizard

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • Lightworks

• Windows Movie Maker

• iMovie

• Avisynth

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • other

• Total voters
  • Poll votes is visible for users with special permission.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hey editors,  I'm working on a news piece and I'm curious about which editing software applications are used. Please fill out the poll with your weapon of choice.

I'm using Vegas Movie Studio at the moment. I've tried the Pro version before, and I find them (at least for my purposes) functionally identical.

I remember using Womble MPEG Video Wizard for my first few edits. Those were the days!

yeah, Vegas Movie Studio is really fantastic for the price. It's limits are mostly in the number of tracks you can have in your project, which really isn't an issue for most faneditors. I think there are some additional limitations in the version of Architect that is bundled. @"TVs Frink" can probably elaborate.

Thanks for filling out the survey, Az. :)

I don't see "Two VCR's" listed. Do I vote other?

Oh yes. I found out that the bundled version of Architect only supports 2.0 audio tracks only AFTER creating the disc and releasing my Halloween edit. Once I figured that out I went and got TMPEG Authoring Works 5. Not quite as user friendly as Architect, but it gets the job done.

You're very welcome!

reave said:
I don't see "Two VCR's" listed. Do I vote other?

lazytown_oh_you.jpg

Adobe premiere pro mostly
It is very fine software to work with and the audio editing is great
I use also a lot of other software but the main thing is Adobe

As most of you know, I use only AviSynth.  (In the past, I have occasionally used Vegas Pro to hack up videos for work, especially when time was a factor; but this rarely happens these days.)

While some might (justifiably) view writing long and horrendously complicated scripts as a form a masochism, I don't have the patience to render intermediate files, configure projects settings, and do all the dragging, scrubbing, menu-trawling, and so on, that comes with using a GUI, when I can type in some code in a few seconds that will do exactly what I want.  It also means that my whole project is a tiny script that I can e-mail myself as a back-up, tweak years later if I want to revisit my project without having to re-do all my work, and send to someone else to use without violating copyright or needing them to pay for a program.

Thus far Movie Studio has worked fine for me - I'd love to have the money and time to get to grips with something like Lightworks, but for now Movie Studio works. Architect Studio 5 is fine for me for authoring - it can handle 5.1 audio but doesn't allow multiple audio tracks, unfortunately.

I started with Womble and still use it. It does everything I need.

The problem I had with Studio's version of Architect (and Throw referenced above) was something to do with a forced re-encode of the video stream...or something, I can't quite remember the details.  On TRM Throw was nice enough to create the disc, and on AOTR CK was nice enough to walk me through a workaround (which I also don't quite remember the details on, something about swapping in the proper video after architect was done...or maybe not, my memory is shot).  For ROTR I've upgraded to Vegas Pro, which unfortunately I can't use for editing yet because I'm neck deep in NewBlue FX plugins that only work in Studio, but the good news is at least I should be able to use the Pro version of Architect this time.

Also maybe relevant to the subject and maybe not, I got an email in the last week saying that Sony has sold off their editing software division.  Not sure if that's good or bad yet.

TVs Frink said:
Also maybe relevant to the subject and maybe not, I got an email in the last week saying that Sony has sold off their editing software division.  Not sure if that's good or bad yet.

Very relevant and the main reason I started this survey. I'll be posting an article on the front page with some news about Vegas in a day or two after more editors have filled out the survey .

ThrowgnCpr said:
TVs Frink said:

Very relevant and the main reason I started this survey. I'll be posting an article on the front page with some news about Vegas in a day or two after more editors have filled out the survey .

*Darth Vader* NOOOOOO!!
Vegas is soooooo easy to use.
(says the guy who hasn't released any edit projects.)
i got no dukes.

Yeah, I got that email.

Just have to wait and see how that turns out... :-/

Also, Da Vinci Resolve (not mentioned above) is really nice and the base program is free. I've used all sorts before, Sony, Adobe, Womble and Kdenlive (when on my Linux machines) and I often like jumping between software to see what each program can do and how it handles things. Vegas Studio is usually my go-to for quick and simple jobs though.

Maybe the survey should support multiple entries or have an extra 'most of the above' option added?

Reading the threads on fanedit.org.
Someone mentions "Womble" NLE.
Brain starts singing "Underground, overground wombling free, the Wombles of Wimbledon common are we, making good use of the things that they find..."
every. single. time.

earworm from childhood!

el_silloneb said:
Also, Da Vinci Resolve (not mentioned above) is really nice and the base program is free. I've used all sorts before, Sony, Adobe, Womble and Kdenlive (when on my Linux machines) and I often like jumping between software to see what each program can do and how it handles things. Vegas Studio is usually my go-to for quick and simple jobs though.

Maybe the survey should support multiple entries or have an extra 'most of the above' option added?

I'm interested in the main application used. Most of us have multiple tools at our disposal, but usually one is used with more frequency.

On the "multiple editors" front, I've dabbled with iMovie, Windows Movie Maker and Premiere Elements. PrE is better than the other two, but I prefer Movie Studio - PrE has a fairly rubbish DVD authoring tool built into it.

The DVD Architect Studio forced re-encoding of video files that Frink mentioned above is pretty tedious, but not impossible to work around. I've found that if you use m2v files it will claim there's no re-encode necessary, but I've not checked whether it does actually force a re-encode anyway. It's annoying to have to work around but not too difficult to do. That workaround process has also turned out to be useful for me, as it also lets you bypass the limitation of only having one audio track per video track.

^ FWIW, Architect Pro doesn't like muxed mpgs either. I always add elementary streams (m2v and ac3) to my projects.

So you're saying you don't cross the streams?

2014-02-24-HaroldRamis-thumb.png

Back
Top Bottom