• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

NLE of choice

Which NLE (video editing program) do you use?

• Sony Vegas Pro

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Sony Movie Studio

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Adobe Premiere

Votes: 8 26.7%
  • Final Cut

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • Avid Pro

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Womble MPEG Video Wizard

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • Lightworks

• Windows Movie Maker

• iMovie

• Avisynth

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • other

• Total voters
  • Poll votes is visible for users with special permission.
53518457.jpg

ThrowgnCpr said:
I'm interested in the main application used. Most of us have multiple tools at our disposal, but usually one is used with more frequency.

Based entirely on frequency it would probably be Vegas Studio...

...but if I were doing a serious project..? :-/

addiesin said:
el_silloneb said:
...but if I were doing a serious project..? :-/

What's that supposed to mean?

^ This. Sorry el_silloneb, but your comment doesn't make a ton of sense. I could see if you said womble instead of Vegas Movie Studio, but VMS is pretty darn powerful and can do much of what Pro can. The list of users here using Movie Studio proves that it's quite capable of handling a "serious project." 

If you are referring to a need to do extensive special effects, you'll need to supplement ANY editing app with an effects program like After Effects or Blender, not just Movie Studio.

Sorry, I'm not much of a faneditor (as I don't really get the time).

Often I have to work with animations and title sequences and tutorial montages/compositions which Vegas is not the best for handling (the track limit being one major factor as I don't have the Pro version). Premier Pro, because of the integration with After Effects, Illustrator & Photoshop makes it a better solution for "serious" projects.

Perhaps I used the wrong word, substitute 'serious' which 'complex' and it may be closer to what I was getting at. In terms of straight forward video editing I agree entirely which is why I said it's my go-to (and why I voted that way in the poll). This seems to be more relevant to this thread as well, I'm definitely NOT knocking Vegas, it's a solid tool for straight up editing.

Apologise for the confusion.

Yeah, for lots of layering in title sequences and animation, Movie Studio becomes less useful. I have done quite a bit of that using Vegas Pro, and even though it doesn't integrate with a suite of other applications like Premiere does, I find it comparable in terms of it's abilities - I hand animated all the layers of this DVD menu using Vegas:

But even though Movie Studio doesn't explicitly link with After Effects of Photoshop, that doesn't mean it can be used in combination with them on a project. I still think it is a very powerful NLE, and every editor should have an array of tools to use in their project (for editing, effects, etc.).

I think Vegas is probably the best editor -for editing.

It's only when you need to do more than straight editing that other programs become more attractive. You've done an amazing job on that menu and, knowing Vegas, I can guess at how much effort went into it. That's where some of the other systems can take the pain away and speed up your workflow, it's more about the best tool for the job rather than "it can" or "it can't".

el_silloneb said:
I think Vegas is probably the best editor -for editing.

It's only when you need to do more than straight editing that other programs become more attractive. You've done an amazing job on that menu and, knowing Vegas, I can guess at how much effort went into it. That's where some of the other systems can take the pain away and speed up your workflow, it's more about the best tool for the job rather than "it can" or "it can't".

Thanks, but it wasn't actually that difficult. I can't imagine it would have been any easier/faster if I had done it in After Effects. Although there are several layers, the effect is a simple keyframed pan. Ultimately I would have done the same thing in After Effects (which may have actually taken me longer because I don't like the GUI as much).

I agree though - use the best tool for the particular job. But also know what your tools are capable of.  :)

Premiere all the way baby. Especially if you can get the creative suite. Nothing better than dynamic linking with After Effects, Illustrator, Speed Grade, Audition, etc.

I'm out of my depth when it comes to the detailed aspects of Premiere Pro vs Vegas Pro, but one thing I've found very tempting as an idea is Speed Grade - I find colour correction hard, tedious work at the best of times and frankly if Speed Grade can do what it appears to of removing that pain (e.g. for getting a good colour balance between a deleted scene and a matching shot from the main feature) it would absolutely be an advantage over Vegas. I've tried the free version of Resolve but still find it quite difficult so it may be just that I need to learn more about the tools overall. Those of you with the experience of the relevant tools - is this an area where Adobe are significantly beyond other tool vendors? Or is it more about knowing how to use whatever tool you have available?

I had not heard of Catalyst until I read your article (great job btw).   Not that I'd be buying it anyway, but they want a monthly or annual fee for it instead of a straight buy cost.  Child, please.

TVs Frink said:
Not that I'd be buying it anyway, but they want a monthly or annual fee for it instead of a straight buy cost.  Child, please.

^ So much this. I have a feeling we are going to see a lot more of a subscription-based license for software in the future. I hate it.  Everything about Catalyst seems to be a direct (but failed) response to the Adobe CC suite.  I really hope that MAGIX continues to develop the Vegas properly.

I've been using Premiere Pro since film school. I actually learned how to edit on Final Cut Pro 7 since my school had Macs but I'm a Windows user and Premiere Pro has been my go-to.

Back
Top Bottom