• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Newbie Sample Rate Problems in VDub

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
i am trying to reinsert the Virginia Madsen shooting scene at the end of Highlander 2: the Quickening into the Renegade Edition in VirtualDub 1.6.

only problem is when i try to insert the clip i get an error message saying that the video streams do not share a common sample rate.

First Stream (main movie) 00005dc0/000003e9 23.97602

Second Stream (clip) 00989680 / 00065d3b 23.97604

both streams have been reencoded with DivX Mpeg-4 at 1305 bitrate and the audio downmixed to stereo mp3 (movie was 5.1 AC3) clip was AC3 but wasn't 5.1

but i still get the same error message. im very new to this editing stuff so am i doing something really dumb or just missing a vital part of the procedure.

thanks for your help!

nOmArch

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
you can't mix streams with different framerates, even if it is just .002

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
aahhhhhhhhhh thanks man!

i changed the fps for the clip from 25 to 23.976 (in VDub) is there a way to make sure it hits a specific rate ie the same as the main movie?

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
well, actually it should have created an exact framerate. Why woudl you want to change the framerate like this anyway?

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
so VDub will allow me to insert the clip into the movie.

main movie avi is 23.976 fps

clip is sourced from my quickening dvd and runs at 29.970 fps

i converted the vob to avi with winavi7.7 then loaded that into VDub and changed the fps to 23.976 to match the movie.

then tried to add the clip at the relevent point and thats when i ran into the mismatched video stream error.

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
whew...winavi is fast, but it sucks qualitywise.
I think you shouldn't convert the vob to avi at all, work with mpeg-2 files. True, vdub cannot combine these, but other programs can and the quality will be much better.

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
i think i know what i was doing wrong, if its what i think it is you guys all have permission to point and laugh at my foolish mistake. :)

EDIT: ok the problem was i was only selecting the frame rate in the top part of the window (if that makes sense) what i should of done was use the middle part with the 'convert to' and then a textbox to input the desired fps. doh!!

the audiop is giving me grief now but i know how to sort that i think, i'll repost tomorrow when i've recharged my batteries and tried my fix :)

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yippee!! sorted it. once the fps thing got sorted out it was fairly simple from then on.

chanegd the audio to 2 channel stereo mp3 and ouila i now have the renegade special edition with the missing scene.

thanks for all your help boon!!

Top Bottom