• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Newb - Help Please

gracie1979

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hi,

I am completely new to fan editing but I am hooked on the concept and went out and bought some software. I have Movie Studio Platinum 12. Basically I'm just wondering the steps, if any to go about fan editing. I don't know this software yet, so I'm still learning and playing around with it. As far as the editing process, do you guys have steps you follow? Do you guys normally edit the audio separately. For example editing Superman II theatrical and the Richard Donner Cut into one complete film. How do you match the audio up with transitions or the quality of the video from each cut. Stuff like that, and I'm sure I'm missing much much more. Sorry for the complete newb questions but was just looking for a little guidance. The software is still brand new to me, so if you guys have used it and have some tips I would be very grateful!

Thanks

Welcome aboard! Have a look at the sticky'd threads on this particular board, all of the guides to editing and such. Also look at the sticky'd threads in the File Conversions board. There's lots of good information there. I myself edit on Vegas Pro, which I do believe is the step up from Movie Studio Platinum.

As for your questions, they're all very general, so I'd look at the guides around the forum and just give it the old college try. You will, like many of us did, pick it up as you go along.

I have two bits of advice I like to give:
1. Follow the guides exactly while you're starting out. This will ensure you get the highest quality rips and audio tracks to work with. As you go on, you will find (by accident, most of the time) easier ways and shortcuts to get just as good results.

2. Don't overwhelm yourself with more than one project as you're learning. Take your time, this isn't a race.

And finally, don't be shy. We're all a friendly bunch here. Stop by the chat if you ever feel so inclined! There's usually someone there.

Happy editing! :)

I have recently started my very first edit and it can be frustrating, but be patient and ALWAYS save your work!
There are many useful tutorials around, use them! Always make sure your audio and video are in sync(my biggest problem). Also perhaps try a test scene with a few changes just to see what your final outcome will look like. Good luck!

As a "seasoned veteran" :)P), I've found that exporting test scenes is an invaluable part of the process. Dare I say it's almost foolish to do an edit without exporting test scenes? I dare say it is!

Thanks guys! It seems like the audio would be the hardest but I'll figure it out eventually :)

Audio is tricky to work with. On my last few projects I've had to do some sort of music patching, and there've been times in the past I've had to abandon particular changes because I couldn't get the audio right. It gets easier, but it's always a challenge. :p

Back
Top Bottom