• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

New Shows

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
With their latest price jump, I am pretty I will be dropping Netflix in favour of Disney Plus.

Yeah this is where I'm at too. Especially with a young child, but also for myself, I think my house will get more value from the Disney service (and we'll probably keep Amazon Prime since we use Amazon for a lot of other things and their platform now seems closer to what I previously enjoyed from Netflix).

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I have no idea when Disney+ will drop in Germany. But I still consistently find good stuff to watch on Netflix. I recently finished the second season of Mindhunter and started the next (is it 2 or 3!?) season of Casa de Papel (I refuse to call it by its idiotic English title).

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
^^ Their decision to call the show "I-Land" should have been warning enough :D .

bionicbob said:
I am pretty I will be dropping Netflix in favour of Disney Plus.

I get it, Disney+ is only for the beautiful people.
Bwah ha ha ha!
My typing fingers fail me again!! Lol

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Anybody seen Undone? Rosa Salazar (Alita) in another motion capture performance, though this one is more akin to A Scanner Darkly. I've watched two episodes, it's intriguing so far.

Here's the trailer:

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Moe_Syzlak said:
I have no idea when Disney+ will drop in Germany. But I still consistently find good stuff to watch on Netflix. I recently finished the second season of Mindhunter and started the next (is it 2 or 3!?) season of Casa de Papel (I refuse to call it by its idiotic English title).
And Peaky Blinders is back in a few weeks.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Moe_Syzlak said:
Casa de Papel (I refuse to call it by its idiotic English title).

"Pope in da House"?

ChainsawAsh

Reaction score
Trophy Points
addiesin said:
Anybody seen Undone? Rosa Salazar (Alita) in another motion capture performance, though this one is more akin to A Scanner Darkly. I've watched two episodes, it's intriguing so far.

Here's the trailer:

I got the first two episodes in before I had to let my Amazon Prime subscription lapse temporarily, but I really liked what I've seen so far. Had no idea it was Rosa Salazar, I enjoyed her performance in Alita and I really liked what I've seen from her in Undone so far. And, as always, Bob Odenkirk is great.

Looking forward to watching the rest when I reup Prime in a couple weeks.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Watched several new show pilots this week....

PRODIGAL SON.... another super genius police consultant procedural... sigh...  This time they try to give it a sexy fresh spin with the consultant being the son of a serial killer and maybe slightly sociopathic himself.  It was okay.  You see elements/tropes of various other similar shows, so it plays familiar and comfortable, but not very exciting.  C+.

EMERGENCE.... I loved Allison Tolman on FARGO, so she was the main draw for me.  And as expected she was excellent.  The mystery child goes from helpless sweet to disturbingly spooky with ease.  In fact, the whole cast is very good.  The sci-fi tropes feel a bit familiar, but the production was entertaining enough that I will check out a few more to see where things go.  B-.

EVIL... Better than I expected.  Not just another X-Files.  Some nice network level horror.  The concept is intriguing.  The characters are well fleshed out for a pilot.  Mike Colter oozes charisma.  Solid first episode.  B+.

STUMPTOWN...  Colbie Smuthers rocks it as the PSD suffering, alcoholic and gambler, never back down Dex Parious.  Great show!  Smart writing.  Complex characters.  Fun editing.  It's been a long time since there has been a great Private Eye show on tv, but I think it may have finally arrived.  Best show of the week for me.  A .

Also watched the season premiere of THE GOLDBERGS.... sigh... I remember when this show used to make be howl with laughter.  But the formula has become predictable and stale.  A few smile and giggles but the show has seen better, funnier days.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
WATCHMEN (HBO)

Anyone watched?

My wife and I did, and we were both underwhelmed.

My bride who has never read the comic or seen the movie, gave it 6 out of 10.
Me?  I gave it a 7.

Really not sure what to make of it.  And maybe it is too soon to fully judge.

It appears to be a sequel to the comic, not the movie.  There are lots of little easter eggs and nods to the comic story.

The subject matter has intriguing moments, but it never fully gripped me.

Lindelof seems to be using race relations and police power in the same way the original used the Cold War.  Not sure if it works fully though... but again, it is too early to tell.

The main thing for me though, the comic, despite all it's political trappings, was still at its core a deconstructive piece about Super Heroes and comic book tropes.   This show, so far, is not....

So mixed feelings.  Interesting but not exciting.  This might be one of those shows where you will have to watch the whole season to see if it all clicks and you go, "....OH! Now I get it!!!"

Or not.  :p

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
HBO MAX announced two DC Comic Book based series --- GREEN LANTERN and ADAM STRANGE.

Other DC properties are also in development.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
WATCHMEN (HBO)

Anyone watched?

My wife and I did, and we were both underwhelmed.

My bride who has never read the comic or seen the movie, gave it 6 out of 10.
Me?  I gave it a 7.

Really not sure what to make of it.  And maybe it is too soon to fully judge.

It appears to be a sequel to the comic, not the movie.  There are lots of little easter eggs and nods to the comic story.

The subject matter has intriguing moments, but it never fully gripped me.

Lindelof seems to be using race relations and police power in the same way the original used the Cold War.  Not sure if it works fully though... but again, it is too early to tell.

The main thing for me though, the comic, despite all it's political trappings, was still at its core a deconstructive piece about Super Heroes and comic book tropes.   This show, so far, is not....

So mixed feelings.  Interesting but not exciting.  This might be one of those shows where you will have to watch the whole season to see if it all clicks and you go, "....OH! Now I get it!!!"

Or not.  :p

...and with the third episode the show has finally "clicked" for me.

I am all in now.   :D

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I watched season two of Amazon’s Jack Ryan. I was really hoping this would be the smart political/military thriller I was wanted, but it’s really very dumb. It plays much more like a Michael Bay (an executive producer of the show) movie than something smart that uses its long format to effectively. I don’t think I’ll be in for a season three.

Siliconmaster

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Anyone else watching His Dark Materials? I loved the books growing up, and was appalled at the 2007 movie adaptation. Two episodes in, and I am very happy with the BBC/HBO series. One or two minor casting quibbles, but otherwise I'm fully on board.

The intro is also fantastic:

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ I will most assuredly be watching it during the holiday/semester break. I'll have to subscribe to at least a month's HBO to do so, and am sure I can knock out the eight episodes then.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
An odd looking sci-fi comedy from writer/creator/producer/director Armando Iannucci coming to HBO:

Everything Iannucci has ever done before in his long career has been genius, so I assume this will be no different.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
My wife wanted to watch the new Apple show Morning Show. It didn’t all drop at once so I’ve only seen half the season. But so far, it’s ... okay. I was hoping for a Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip but with something central to really sink its teeth into (the MeToo movement). The movement is handled at times well and at times ridiculously clumsily. The show itself doesn’t come close to Studio 60 in terms of quality. I’m sure we’ll end up watching the remainder of the season, but I can’t say I would recommend it so far.

wilhelm scream

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The End of the F***ing World

I watched both series of this show in 1 day and I can say without a doubt, it is one of my favourite TV shows of all time. Series 1 is like a modern day version of Bonnie and Clyde, while series 2 presents an interesting scenario (and despite what the name may suggest, it has nothing to do with the apocalypse). While series 2 is not as good as series 1, the ending makes it all worth it. It's a shame it hasn't been released on home media yet, as I would love to do a fanedit of it.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
THE WITCHER (Netflix 2019)

***Spoiler FREE Review***

I have never read the novels.
I have never played the video games.
I have limited to no familiarity with Polish folklore or myth.

And yet, I really enjoyed this series. But I almost gave up on it early on.

The first two episodes were a real slog to get through. Too much verbal exposition delivered by multiple characters all with very different thick accents, making it difficult to follow the plot; while at the same time dumping the viewer into the deep end of the Dark Fantasy pool without any sort of education about the rules of this sword and axe world; three seemingly unconnected storylines that fill you with more questions than answers.... there is a lot to process in those first two hours, and it is not helped by some awkward pacing and editing.

But then hour three happens. And everything clicks. The bigger picture emerges and the rollercoaster ride begins!

Henry Cavill is excellent. He thoroughly embraces the role and rules the screen.

This a hard "R" rated series for violence and sex.  But it has more of Conan mixed with Lord of the Rings vibe than Game of Thrones.

The sword fight choerography is well done.  I have read many fans say it is very much in the spirit of the video games.

The budget is decent, with the CGI ranging from fantastic to serviceable. The cinematography is suitably dim and dark, with splashes of vibrance.

There is surprisedly a lot of dark humour in the series, which is needed, as the story can get quite heavy and melodramatic at times.

The series is only 8 episodes long and much is left unanswered.... the rules of this dark universe are still not clear to me and the villains of the epic are sorely underdeveloped.

But it is very entertaining. My wife LOVED it and gave it a perfect score on Netflix of 5/5.

Myself, after I got over the first 2 hour hump, I was fully engaged and had a fun watch but at the same time felt many narrative beats were rushed through and not fleshed out enough.

Luckily, Netflix has already renewed the series for season two, and I eagerly look forward to learning more about the Witcher and his world of monsters and magic.

3.5 out of 5 for me.

Top Bottom