• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

New Shows

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Season two of Dark recently dropped on Netflix. Season one was excellent and I’d think it would be right up the collective alley of this forum. Only problem is it’s so complex that I’m having trouble remembering everything from season one so I’m kind of confused two episodes in to season two. If you watch, make sure you use subtitles and not the dubbed version.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Moe_Syzlak said:
Season two of Dark recently dropped on Netflix. Season one was excellent and I’d think it would be right up the collective alley of this forum. Only problem is it’s so complex that I’m having trouble remembering everything from season one so I’m kind of confused two episodes in to season two. If you watch, make sure you use subtitles and not the dubbed version.

Season one was awesome! (and yeah, watching in German goes without saying). I'm really looking forward to diving into season two, but I probably should do a refresher on what all happened first.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
ThrowgnCpr said:
Moe_Syzlak said:

Season one was awesome! (and yeah, watching in German goes without saying). I'm really looking forward to diving into season two, but I probably should do a refresher on what all happened first.

I read a refresher and I think I probably should just rewatch s1. There’s just too much happening in (what I think is) four different timelines. I just don’t have time to rewatch the whole thing.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
yeah, I don't have time to rewatch. That would be ideal, but yeah, no.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
ThrowgnCpr said:
yeah, I don't have time to rewatch. That would be ideal, but yeah, no.

If you find a good refresher (particularly with pictures of the characters at their different ages), let me know.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Moe_Syzlak said:
If you watch, make sure you use subtitles and not the dubbed version.

Netflix voice dubbing is so bad, it's ridiculous.

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've tried watching a few Netflix dubs (Babylon Berlin, 3%, Dark, and Rain) and they're all so flat and dull.

Zamros

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Tried watching 'Trinkets' the new netflix show about shoplifting teenagers. It's not bad, but it ain't good either. The writers clearly do not understand the culture they're attempting to portray and it feels at times like netflix greenlit the first draft without asking for a rewrite.

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I finished season 2 of Dark last night. It definitely raises the bar and exceeded my expectations. I think it's even better than season 1.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Q2 said:
I finished season 2 of Dark last night. It definitely raises the bar and exceeded my expectations. I think it's even better than season 1.

I’m halfway through. My wife bailed because she wasn’t following it and kept falling asleep. I admit I had to do some serious catching up, reading about what happened in season one and reminding myself who everyone is. I like it quite a bit though. My wife goes out of town tomorrow for a few days so I should be able to finish it up.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The best, most epic television sci-fi series since Babylon 5 soon returns....

Seriously people, if you still have not watched this series yet, you are depriving yourself of an incredible science fiction experience.

wilhelm scream

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
The best, most epic television sci-fi series since Babylon 5 soon returns....

Seriously people, if you still have not watched this series yet, you are depriving yourself of an incredible science fiction experience.

I agree, it's become one of my favourite TV shows of all time. 

Speaking of Amazon Prime, Good Omens was recently released on it and it was pretty good. 

Another Neil Gaiman adaptation on Prime is American Gods. Season 1 is amazing, season 2... not so much. While it's not terrible, it's definitely a stet-down from season 1.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ANOTHER LIFE (2019 on Netflix)
Pure crap.   The biggest, most important moment in human civilization and THIS is the crew you assemble for first contact?  Whiney, self involved, unheroic pretty 20 somethings.  Not even the always charismatic Sackoff can save this sinking ship.   Don't waste your time.  Painfully terrible.

PANDORA (2019 on the CW)
Cheap, teeny bopper, formulaic....  this one might improve with time...?  The cast is likeable, though the writing is very awkward and unoriginal.  The show is loaded with CGI and green screen but it still looks incredibly low budget.  Two episodes and I am done.  Meh.

When you watch two such poorly made shows in a row, it makes you appreciated the few good, fun, gems that are out there even more.   Back to watching KILLJOYS and 5 months til the return of THE EXPANSE!!!!

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
JETT (Cinemax)

Part Tarantino, part Soderbergh, part Leonard... a stylized, pulpy, smart crime action drama with lots of wonderful snappy dialogue.  Carla Gugino steals every moment she is on screen.  She drives this caper and any time she is off screen the show drags.  Being a Cinemax show, there is lots of unnecessary graphic nudity and sex.  But otherwise, a great 70s style gangster show.  Recommended!!!  :D

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
After two brief seasons, KRYPTON has been cancelled by Syfy.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/krypton-canceled-at-syfy-1232498

Things this show did amazingly right -- the Villains.  Zod.  Doomsday.  Brainiac.  Best onscreen portrayals EVER.

But in the end, the show was pointless.  It is all Time Travel/Alternate Reality.   The stakes are empty because you know it will resolved.  And if they aren't, then it is not truly a show about Superman's birth world.  So it is show you have to ask, why even bother investing yourself?  And it sounds like season three was going to be more of the same.  Such a wasted opportunity. :(

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Watched PENNYWORTH...

The story of future Batman butler, Alfred Pennyworth.  Created by Bruno Heller.
A Batman prequel in the same sense that creator Bruno Heller's bonkers GOTHAM was a prequel.

It is stylish and slick, set in an unspecified 1960s alternate history with some smart editing and good performances.
Jack Bannon is engaging as Alfred.  He has the comic book physicality (tall and slender) with the voice of Michael Caine.

If you are a long time Batman fan, this show will give you the same frustrations that Gotham did... the reinterpretation of some characters (especially Thomas and Martha Wayne) may annoy you.

If the characters all had different names with no connection to the Batman myths, this would be a crackerjack fun conspiracy spy thriller with shades of the old Avengers tv series.   But as a Batman prequel....?
I guess if you enjoyed Gotham, you will love this too.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TH-New-Web.jpg
Anderson Entertainment and Tiny Giants to redevelop British children’s sci-fi series.

The 1983 series, Terrahawks – originally co-created by Gerry Anderson, the man behind Thunderbirds, Captain Scarlet and Space:1999 – is to be reimagined for a 21st century audience, more than 30 years after its original run ended.

The original series revolved around the adventures of a task force responsible for protecting Earth against an invasion by a group of extraterrestrial androids and aliens led by Zelda.

The new show – which is being developed by Anderson Entertainment and Tiny Giants – centres around Kate Kestrel as she rises through the ranks of the Terrahawks organisation and defends the Earth from alien invasion, while uncovering secrets about her family’s dark past.

“Terrahawks has always been one of my favourite Gerry Anderson series, and has an obsessive and dedicated cult following, with Zelda being one of the most regularly mentioned 80s kids TV characters online,” said Jamie Anderson, md of Anderson Entertainment. “I’m thrilled to be working with Tiny Giants on reimagining the series to entertain, inspire and excite a whole new generation, as the original series did over three decades ago.”

Stu Gamble, ceo and founder of Tiny Giants, added: “When I was a kid, Zelda scared the living daylights out of me.

“We can’t wait to work with the legacy and heritage of the world co-created by Gerry Anderson in bringing Terrahawks to a brand new audience with deep, rich characters and world building that can pull you in and not let you go.”

The classic Terrahawks series was recently remastered in high definition by Network Distributing which manages worldwide distribution. Classic series licensing is managed by Larkshead Media.

https://www.licensingsource.net/terrahawks-heading-back-to-tv/

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
THE I-LAND (Netflix 2019)

Terrible.  Another Netflix Original complete mess.  Basically a rip-off of LOST, but filled with unbelievably unrealistic characters.  This is just soooo bad!  Watched one and half episodes.... but then I realized torture is illegal.

Like so many of Netflix Original shows, it plays a like a good concept that is rushed into production without script rewrites or polishing and then filtered through a lowest common dominator committee to try to reach the broadest audience.   This shotgun approach may be Netflix's eventual undoing as more and more streaming services launch.  They need to focus more on quality instead of quantity.  With their latest price jump, I am pretty I will be dropping Netflix in favour of Disney Plus.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^^ Their decision to call the show "I-Land" should have been warning enough :D .

bionicbob said:
I am pretty I will be dropping Netflix in favour of Disney Plus.

I get it, Disney+ is only for the beautiful people.

Top Bottom