• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

NEW BIONIC WOMAN

beckmen

Reaction score
Trophy Points
No clue, but I am using Firefox, the God of all browsers...

DoctorM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I use firefox as well... it doesn't wrap.

Btw, just checked out the end of BW ep 1. Yup they show him trekking through snowy mountains or something at the end.
Still not sure how he actually got out of extremely secure triple secret prison.

mangas

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I was a fan of the original (still am) series with Lindsay Wagner and was really excited when I heard NBC were doing a new version. Overall I was happy about the premiere, though I kind of missed the bionic effect but then we dont really need it I guess, and its been kind of daggy to do the effects in slow motion.

Anyway, the second episode where Will dies (some suggest he isnt really dead, as we never saw the body - he was just wheeled away in the ambulance) was very mixed and uneven. Pacing issues have continued to plague the new series but the cast is solid, with Ryan and the other blonde actress playing the worlds first Bionic Woman particularly good.

In the third episode though - WOW! Loved it. Michelle Ryan really gets to shine in this episode and isnt outshone by her bionic co-star (like she was in the premiere) and the pacing and dialogue was much better. Overall I'm hopeful for the series but ratings have slipped by a few million down from the premiere so whether it will survive in its current timeslot on one of the main networks is a big question?

DoctorM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
From TVGuide.com
Bionic Woman, Chuck Get NBC's Thumbs-up

NBC has issued a vote of confidence to all four of its freshman series by ordering three more scripts for the buzzworthy Chuck and Bionic Woman as well as the less-warmly received Life and Journeyman, Variety reports.

Typically, though never guaranteed, additional-script requests are seen as a precursor to a full-season nod. But realistically, who could say no to Yvonne Strahovski?!

beckmen

Reaction score
Trophy Points
DoctorM said:
I use firefox as well... it doesn't wrap.

Btw, just checked out the end of BW ep 1. Yup they show him trekking through snowy mountains or something at the end.
Still not sure how he actually got out of extremely secure triple secret prison.

Well, thanks to whoever who fixed it.

I think it was implied that that dude bribed Chief Tyrol to get him out. Obviously I am not paying close enough attention to know anybody's names, though...so I could be wrong.

Good news about the re-orders. Bionic Woman, Chuck and Life are all shows I am currently a fan of. BW is actually the least of those three, actually. Really enjoying Chuck and Life more. I watched the Journeyman pilot and was not impressed.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
"YAWN....."

....................boring........................ :p

joebshmoe

Reaction score
Trophy Points
you know i watched the first 3 episodes and there are so many plot holes it is ridiculous.

are they just compiling episodes using random scenes or what?

i'm done with this show... waited so long for it to be good

ARGH

DoctorM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This weeks episode seemed a bit better... but still either they are cutting and pasting episodes together or their plots are too ambition for the time slot and they're forced to chop out segements for time.

DoctorM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
As reported by TVGuide.com:

Bionic Woman Undergoes Another Tune-up

The production staff of Bionic Woman now officially has more Jasons than the entire Friday the 13th franchise. Jason Cahill, who won a Writers Guild award for his work on The Sopranos, has grabbed a wrench, pliers and duct tape and come on board the waning NBC series as show-runner, sources tell the Reporter. His mission: to make the show stronger and faster, or at least teach Jaime how to make a savory puttanesca sauce.

Cahill joins executive producers Jason Smilovic and David Eick, while Jason Katims ? who has been pulling double duty while "on loan" from Friday Night Lights ? has been pitching in for the past month as a consultant.

ohmss

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I have yet to watch any episodes although I have DLed them all so far along with the "pre-air" that was released. Going by this thread I probably wont bother at all.

It will be interesting to see where Michelle Ryan turns up this time next year, Eastenders again? And, no doubt, getting paid a small fortune at the licence payers expense. I'll save this rant for another day!

beckmen

Reaction score
Trophy Points
This week's episode was just silly. Michelle doing a British accent. I balked at that one.

Pretty much a boring episode. I don't like the new guy. Something cool needs to happen soon, or Sarah needs to come back or something.

ohmss

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Michelle Ryan is British!!
Or did she do an over the top Hollywood British accent?

Would this series fit into the "so bad it's good" catagory? I'll maybe start transferring it to DVD to see just how bad it/she is.

beckmen

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I don't know, her accent sounded fake to me. I know that she is British, that's why I balked. Seemed kind of cheap to me. Not sure if she did her native accent, or a Hollywood/Bad accent. I am not good at detecting those things.

AvP

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
yes she is,she was in a soap called eastenders

DoctorM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Transcribed from TVGuide's Ausiello VodCast:

NBC is rebooting their Bionic Woman reboot.

The Peacock's sickly remake which has lost nearly 50% of its audience since debuting last month, will be staging a big two part episode in December or January that will serve as the show's unofficial relaunch.

I hear NBC will give the episodes a HUGE promotional push in the hopes of luring back some of those lapsed viewers and maybe even recruiting some new ones.

The two episode event will be the first major test for Bionic's new show runner Jason Cahill.
And for those keeping track of all the backstage upheavals at home with Cahill factored in the total number of show runners that have passed through the Bionic executive suite since this summer comes to... 645

beckmen

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well, I hope they revamp is good! Some more long-term character and story arcs wouldn't be remiss. Less cheesy action stuff and far less pop music, too. I don't need to see her fighting while some Emo music blares in the soundtrack. Stick to original score, sheesh. But the money you save towards more action and better guest stars and stuff.

DoctorM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Makes you wonder who they have dirt on to give it another chance instead of the ax.

That said, I wonder if Ausiello is misusing the term reboot or if they're really going to do something like recut the pilot to two hours (like we all had hoped it would be) and reair it.

beckmen

Reaction score
Trophy Points
They say 'unofficial relaunch' so I am assuming they will just take the series in another direction at this point instead of actually scrapping the pilot and starting fresh.

ASX

Reaction score
Trophy Points
My review:

A brief history behind this production:

The Bionic Woman 2007 production crew including the no talent writer and producer, David Eick always slammed the original series for having no depth to the characters and/or the stories being to simplistic (or something to that effect) and flat out called the original Six Million Dollar Man and Bionic Woman series crap on numerous of LA Times articles.

Here's a quote from Eick on an New Jersey Star Ledger:

The pilot has a lot more in common, visually and conceptually, with "24" or "CSI: Crime Scene Investigation" than it does with the horrible "Six Million Dollar Man." concept.

"We are not trying to chase nostalgia. We are attempting to pull off an excavation-and-salvage project similar to Sci Fi Channel's "Battlestar Galactica," another dated, awful TV franchise from the 1970s."

These are bold words coming from a man credited for writing creating and producing mindless crap TV series such as Hercules: The Legendary Journeys and Xena: Warrior Princess.

When asked by Greek Mythology buffs on the drastic inaccuracy of his two previous Hercules and Xena series , his offhanded comments (during an interview while promoting his crappy re-imagining of the Sci-Fi Channel?s Battlestar Galactica) was:

?I, very carefully, mostly as a function of my own laziness, chose not to look at anything regarding the original (Battlestar Galactica). I used the same approach on "Hercules" . . . and the upshot was when, at story meetings, everyone would sit around talking about Narcissus and Achilles, and I would go....."I don't know what any of you guys are talking about. You have to make this make sense to me."

Can anyone explain to me how this dipsh*t passed his highschool English classes without knowing anything about basic Greek Mythology?

ASX

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Continued ....

And then the Hollyweird trend continued when Universal promotes David Eick to one of the head studio execs at The Sci-Fi Channel.

His first actions were hijacking and 86ing acclaimed screenwriter, director, Bryan Singer?s (The Usual Suspects, Apt Pupil, X-Men and X2) fan supported Battlestar Galactica production and hire Ron Moore ( a no talent former Treker scriber who has publically stated his disdain towards the original series on numerous ocassions) to rewrite it into a radical re-imagining/remake/reboot which turned out to be one of the most biggest controversial blunders in science fiction history.

Together he and Ron Moore reworked all of Bryan Singer and Tom DeSanto?s Battleestar Galactica scripts into the ratings failure of what it is today ... considering that their Battlestar Galactica Re-Imagined is constantly matched or beaten in ratings by reruns of ?Star Tek Enterprise, WCW Wrestling and every Sci-Fi Channel's original in house B movie production and ? (yes I know it's critically acclaimed by the left sided media such as Time Magazine and New York Times for all the anti Bush and Anti War on Terror metaphors within their stories.) Never the less. the show never captured and maintain a large audience and took a nose dive in ratings since the pilot/mini-series ... but yet ..... as a head studio exec, Eick was able to get this series renewed season after season while other series such as ?Farscape? and Stargate SG1" were cancelled while they were holding way more higher viewers.

Go figure....

So recently, Eick failed to get another one of his pilots sold (gee I wonder why) so he opted to raid the NBC/Universal vault and found something old that he ridiculously called ?The Bionic Woman? and after a few rewrites on his failed pilot, the Bionic Woman re-imagined was green lit to begin production.

For all his constant public Six Million Dollar Man and Bionic Woman bashing, I have to laugh at this piece of crap that I just finished watching because not only does this new Bionic Woman have nothing in common with the original (I mean nothing, not single nod or tribute to the original)... there was also no character depth nor deep story. Even on it's own merits it was terrible.

The Pilot:

The pilot opens up with an arm task force hunting down what looks to be a psychotic, physically enhanced woman played by, Katee Sachoff (Halloween: Resurrection, Battlestar Galactica Re-Imagined).when they finally corner in which looks to be in a pool of blood (which seemed to serve no other purpose but shock value), the head soldier shoots her down.... but is she dead ?

Who knows and who cares ?

Then the viewers are introduced to the massively cleavage exposeing Jaime Sommers, who is a semi sleazy bartender. We learn that?s she is somewhat bright but she pissed away her college scholarship (or something to that effect so she?s now a part time student at the local community college). We?re then introduced to her boyfriend at a university as she drives by to pick him up there.

A couple of side notes:

1) Rumor had it that David Eick wanted to name Jaime?s boyfriend the re-imagined ?Rudy Wells?. It?s a typical poke your finger in the eyes of the original fanbase tactics which David Eick and Ron Moore strived on while doing the current ?Battlestar Galactica re-imagined series. My guess is to avoid any conflicts with Miramax (who now owns the rights to Martin Caiden?s Cyborg novels and all characters connected to it), the boyfriend?s name was changed. Ditto to Jaime?s abusive boss (who originally was named Oscar Goldman) but now changed to Jonas.

2) Shouldn?t the young bright University professor be the person that owns a car instead of relying on a ride from a bartender that doesn?t make much money ?

Wow David Eick, these are some realistic characters and situations we have there. (Rolls eyes).

Then we?re treated to some quick mushy soapy dialogue on why he wants to be with her instead of any bright woman at the university... yadda yadda blah blah blah.and I also think she mentioned that she?s pregnant.

Then out of nowhere comes the auto accident and we get a quick glimpse of the person that intentionally causes it. Yuck !!! It?s Katee Sackhoff again and she?s still alive. It turns out that she?s a jealous ex lover of Rudy ... er.. I forgot his new name.

Wow tell me that?s not a typical soap opera clitch. (Rolls Eyes some more). Oh and get this.It turns out that Katee Sachoff is an evil bionic renegade . This is some deep story telling here [sarcasm mode off] .
We get a quick shot of Jaime in the hospital (at least I think it was a hospital) she?s a mangled up with missing limbs and get this... Rudy (or whatever his name is. Let?s just call him Rudy for the rest of this review because his character was so lame that his name is not even worth remembering).

Back to Rudy.

Rudy escapes the wreak with just a bruise on his head and an arm in a sleeve while Jaime is mangled and limbless.

Even with the strongest safest airbags, there?s no way anyone could have escaped that wreak with just a bruise and a sprained arm.

That is some more great gritty realism from the mind of David Eick.

Immediately after the quick shot of Jaime mangled up, she wakes up and Rudy explains that she needed some enhancements to survive. Jaime pulls back the sheets that were covering her legs and whamo, we see the cheesiest CGI interpretation of bionic legs.

There was no scientific explanation nor do I remember the word ?bionic? being mentioned.

Also and there?s more. She didn?t need any kinds of physical therapy and/or rehabilitation or what not, Right away she got out of bed and knew how to walk and discover her other bionically enhanced abilities.

Then we have a quick scene where Jaime befriends a therapist (which was a wasted opportunity to learn something more about her character and then immediately goes to another scene where the shrink helps her escape. It all happens far to quickly and doesn't really give the viewer to much time to connect with any of the characters on an emotional level whatsoever.

And yet David Eick has the balls to slam the original series for having two dimensional characters ? What a hypocrite.

There?s no bionic sound effects nor anything catchy during the running and jumping sequence. The fighting effects is nothing more than one part Matrix and one part Spiderman.

They even ripped off an entire sequence from Superman The Movie where a little girl in a mini van tells her mom that there's a woman running fast along the vehicle and the mother tells her to stop telling stories.

The special effects is pretty bad through out the pilot and the atmosphere is dark and gloomy through out for no other reason but for the sake of being dark and gloomy.

As always with a David Eick production like GINO (Galactica In Name Only), the characters are very unlikable and very unsympathetic and big time underdeveloped. There?s no complex characters what so ever.

Jaime Sommer's is just sleazy and all around ungrateful for the Bionics which saved her life.

Katte Sack-Off as usual turned in a bad performance. I figured she?d be easier to swallow this time around because she isn?t playing a bad reinterpretation of a beloved character like on Battlestar Galactica but I was wrong. Katee is just an over all bad actress. She stinks.

The Good:

Michelle Ryan, I?ll also give her credit for the physical demands of the role. However, she lacks the charm and charisma of Lindsay Wagner and she's an overall bad actress.

Also, George Clooney?s ugly cousin turns in a pretty good performance as the shady unlikable Jonas (the Oscar Goldman character) but the he suffers the same thing that Michelle Ryan suffers from due to the bad material. Gone is the do gooder OSI branch replaced by some shady government conspiracy organization.

Another thing that wasn?t too bad was Jaime?s rebellious deaf sister. It was the only element in this production that had any heart. However upon seeing the 2nd version of the pilot the deaf sister was replaced by an annoying bratty whiny computer hacker (how original) so I guess this wasn?t even worth mentioning.

IMO if this show needs to succeed, they have to find better writers who knows how to explore the psychological trauma of becoming Bionic and the human condition as apposed to exploring dark government covert mumble jumbo because the conspiracy type thing has been done to death and had been done far better as well like on The X-Files for example.

I doubt any of the current reworks and/or tweaking can save this production because we all know the old saying... No matter how well you polish a turd, it?s still just a turd.

The original series starring Lyndsay Wagner, had more heart and her character had more depth and was more likable. Although the original series is somewhat dated, I find it to be more superior on many levels.

Top Bottom