• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

"Netflix for your phone"

Garp

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Quibi

Have you heard of Quibi? The upcoming streaming service will offer “quick bites of captivating entertainment, created for mobile by the best talent, designed to fit perfectly into any moment of your day.” In other words, short-form content (we’re talking like 10 minute runtimes here, max) that you can watch on your phone. The idea comes from Jeffrey Katzenberg and Meg Whitman, who are selling Quibi as “Netflix for your phone.”

Even with Spielberg attached to it, this is something that I just can't imagine I would ever want.

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It sounds like a pretty pointless concept. People already fill that slot with youtube (which is free). Plus, if they're limiting themselves to the short movie format, then they're going to struggle to create enough content to keep up with the demand that anyone who's paying for a subscription would have, let alone that that content should be quality.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I understand what this is going for, but saying "Netflix for phones" is like marketing Masters of the Universe as "Star Wars of the 80s". It's not, it's its own thing, and what you're marketing it as already exists. I use the Netflix mobile app frequently, and if I don't have time for something, I'll pause and continue it later.
Say this new service has a series, with a single narrative told in 10 minute chunks. Essentially, it'd be the same as watching 10 minutes of a movie at a time.

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
More evidence that Spielberg is out of touch with how people consume media.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Spielberg can do no wrong.

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I would never in a million years...until I heard Spielberg was writing something. He hasn't written anything in twenty years, I'm interested for that alone.

Although, given his railing against Netflix very recently this is also pretty funny.

theryaney

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
jrWHAG42 said:

Because of the Internet I read that as "Thanos".

Also, my first reaction to the title/post: "Don't I already have Netflix on my phone?"

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
jrWHAG42 said:

Even apart from Crystal Skull, he produced four Bayformers movies.

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Duragizer said:
And there's also The Adventures of Tintin.

giphy.gif

Garp

Reaction score
Trophy Points
More info on Quibi

Quibi will be initially licensing content from these creators, but after two years of exclusivity, the service will allow them to re-edit those stories into full features and sell the rights elsewhere, giving them the potential for a huge payoff down the line...

Knowing about this two-year-and-then-a-movie dynamic, the question now becomes: will consumers be interested enough in these bite-sized chunks of storytelling that they’ll be willing to pay to watch them through Quibi, or will they just hold off, knowing that if the content is good enough, it will eventually make its way to a theater or a different streaming service altogether?

The service will cost $4.99 a month with advertising and $7.99 without.

Garp

Reaction score
Trophy Points
It's an interesting concept. I just don't think it's interesting enough to charge a monthly fee for.

Top Bottom