• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Need to transfer 6 gigs

5acrifice

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I need to transfer a six gig video file from my PC in one room to my Mac in the other. I have one external hard drive that will not for the love of me connect. I just does not appear in the my computer folder. Tried getting drivers etc. and nothing worked. I already have video files on it however that I can't afford to lose by reformatting the drive. I am attempting to send it through aim ( 4 hours left and my internet connection kicks out sometimes). Is there a way I can torrent this or something and try to download it from the other computer?

Can't you create rar files that will par it into smaller chunks or something? Not sure how that kind of thing works, but it seems to work for releasing fanedits on RS. Than just use DVD-RWs or a flashdrive or whatever...

ofc ourse oyu can split files with winrar or even hjsplit.
It is very easy. If you click "add to archive" in winrar, there is an option:
"split to volumes, bytes:" Just enter your number there to set the filesize.

there is a million and one different ways to transfer the files back and forth. The easiest way i would suggest is just network them directly to one another using an ethernet cable. You'd prolly transfer 6 gig in about 3 minutes using this method. As for the hard drive not being seen. Is the hard drive formatted for fat32 file system? This is how you would be able to get your mac and pc to both see the external drive. or if you wanna go the long drawn out way you can rar them upload them to rapidshare and then download them on the other machine. Or you could burn the files to blank cd's or dvd. This is just a couple of things you can try.

Back
Top Bottom