• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Need to fix audio clipping

HeKS

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hey there,

I'm wondering if anyone can help me figure out how to resolve some audio clipping in a concert recording. It's not a fanedit, but it might come in useful when I finally get around to trying an Indy 4 edit.

The problem I'm having is that the vocals get distorted on a few high notes in the song and I'm trying to figure out how I can smooth out the sound and reduce the distortion so it's not so jarring.

One of the clips I'm trying to do this with can be seen in my youtube upload here:

The first instance of the clipping happens at 1:16 into the video and a few times thereafter in each chorus. I recorded this concert in HD and overall the source video and audio I have is great and I've edited all the clips together in one smooth concert but before I output the final version I want to try to resolve a few of these audio issues.

Thanks in advance,
HeKS

I dled your 720 version from youtube and converted the audio to a wave file. Going by what I saw, technically your audio is not clipping because of your equipment. In fact your audio is pretty much below the audio clipping level (then again this is by youtubes converted mp4, not by your raw).

I do not think there is much you can do about the issue since it seems to have been the actual sound system's error and not your equipment. You could always slightly lower (or normalize) the volume if it really is bothering you but you will still hear that "clip" noise. I am pretty much positive you cannot fix it so it is smooth again

Then again there might be a filter out there but it might end up doing more harm to the audio as a side effect

tranzor said:
I dled your 720 version from youtube and converted the audio to a wave file. Going by what I saw, technically your audio is not clipping because of your equipment. In fact your audio is pretty much below the audio clipping level (then again this is by youtubes converted mp4, not by your raw).

I do not think there is much you can do about the issue since it seems to have been the actual sound system's error and not your equipment. You could always slightly lower (or normalize) the volume if it really is bothering you but you will still hear that "clip" noise. I am pretty much positive you cannot fix it so it is smooth again

Then again there might be a filter out there but it might end up doing more harm to the audio as a side effect

Thanks a lot for your reply. I thought I had email notification turned on for this thread so I haven't checked back until now. Sorry for the delay.

I wish I could remember whether or not the sound was like that at the concert or if it was my recording. I'd probably need to hear a different recording to find out, and I know one exists but I'm waiting for the person to upload the audio. What I did to try to fix it was I grabbed the music that's played under the distorted vocal note from a different spot in the song with no vocals, then removed everything from the original audio at that point except the vocal note (which sounds mostly free of distortion) using a spectral graph analysis, the I ran three layer of audio at that spot: On the bottom layer, the music from a different part of the song; above that the intact original audio, distortion and all, at a low volume with a bass boost; finally, the edited original with just his vocal note remaining at that point. That combination worked surprisingly well, but I only did it for the first instance of clipping/distortion, which seemed like the worst, because it was fairly time-consuming.

If it wasn't my camera that clipped, that makes me happy, because it means the condenser mic is even better than I thought when I posted the question, which was better than I thought when I walked into the stadium to make the recording. I can make the mp2 file available to you to check if the source clipped if you'd be open to that.

Thanks again,
HeKS

Wow! You took channel invertion to an extreme, glad it is working out for you

sure I am very curious if the source clipped or not, would love to check out the mp2

tranzor said:
Wow! You took channel invertion to an extreme, glad it is working out for you

sure I am very curious if the source clipped or not, would love to check out the mp2

How shall I get the file to you?

HeKS

up it somewhere (ex megaupload.com) ,at least a small section of the mp2 around a trouble area and send me the link via PM

tranzor said:
up it somewhere (ex megaupload.com) ,at least a small section of the mp2 around a trouble area and send me the link via PM

Ok, sent you the link by PM.

HeKS

this is much louder than the youtube file. Going by a chart readout this has quite a number of 0 decible clippings that occur. This now means either your mic peak was overloaded causing the clip or the show's equipment itself was the problem. I am still thinking it was the show itself and not the mic

Back
Top Bottom