• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Need advice - creating a fanedit with various PAL&NTSC vids

T-HOPE

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I have gathered a lot of footage for my possible Terminator Salvation edit.

All my sources are PAL. I want to use these sources for snippets of footage to insert throughout the movie, plus a whole new intro.
However, I want to use the director's cut of Terminator Salvation as base for this movie and it has only been release in NTSC format on DVD. :-(

Normally, I would have a PAL base and with using other footage, I just create custom black bars in the same format as the base movie and then overlay these bars on top of the new footage. But now I have 2 different formats with each its own format (720x576 vs 720x480).

I'd like to use gpulldown as less as possible because I don't trust those invisible frames completely. I remember some possible audio synch problems. I don't feel like having to convert every PAL to NTSC first because I use a lot of different sources for my opening.

My problem.
I was thinking of editing the PAL footage for the opening first in PAL, then convert it to NTSC and then insert this footage into the movie. Howver, both formats have different formats: 720x576 vs 720x480. When I will create the black bars it will be when I will insert the converted footage in to the base movie (dir. cut). I fear that when I will place the black bars, I will miss some footage bcause the bars overlap it.

If the base movie was PAL, I could immediately do the black bars and then edit the intro, thus immediately seeing what footage gets chopped off (like heads etc), and when necessary I could change the footage so that heads etc will be visible.

When editing the intro first and then convert it, then put it in the movie and then do the black bars I fear I might lose heads etc. Things that get chopped off by the black bars because I couldn't test those black bars while creating the intro.

Again, I don't feel like converting all files first to NTSC as I have about 15 movies that need to be converted and I'm not sure what to think of the invisible frames combined with the audio.

I hope my problem is a bit clear.

yes. edit your PAL stuff in PAL, convert it to NTSC and use it for your final edit.
Or: transfer all your sources to NTSC first and then edit full yin NTSC (which is the way I would do it).

boon23 said:
yes. edit your PAL stuff in PAL, convert it to NTSC and use it for your final edit.
Or: transfer all your sources to NTSC first and then edit full yin NTSC (which is the way I would do it).
I think solution 2 is the best way to go, but it's also a bitch. I'm using a lot of souces, converting them all to NTSC is a lot of work.

I agree that solution 2 is best. It's what I would do. I would edit in the footage, ignore the small differences in borders during editing, and just add new black borders at the end.

The only other option is to use the blu-ray as your source. Both versions of Salvation are available on the blu-ray, the running time would be right, and the black bars would match.

Captain Khajiit said:
I agree that solution 2 is best. It's what I would do. I would edit in the footage, ignore the small differences in borders during editing, and just add new black borders at the end.

The only other option is to use the blu-ray as your source. Both versions of Salvation are available on the blu-ray, the running time would be right, and the black bars would match.
I do own the PAL bluray version of Terminator Salvation. However I don't own a bluray player and cannot rip the files. I wouldn't know what to do with these files if I had them, because I don't know how to rip the audio and split it.

You mean split HD audio into individual WAVs, do you? I think you can use eac3to.

Back
Top Bottom