• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Natural Born Killers: The Tarantino Cut by thecuddlyninja

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Neglify said:
Personally I'd say...

Directed by Alan Smithee

Written by Quentin Tarantino

That's perfect. Great call. Now I need to match that font!

jswert123456

Reaction score
Trophy Points
the song is Smith- Baby It's You.
The Smiths were an alternative rock band.

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Neglify said:
If you're talking about this, then classic Arial Bold will suffice.

Or if you're talking about his "Written & Directed by" title card at the very end, that font is Aachen.

Aachen worked like a charm. Thanks, Neglify (and also for the good idea).

jswert123456 said:
the song is Smith- Baby It's You.
The Smiths were an alternative rock band.

You are right. That song is not nearly sad enough to be the Smiths! It's corrected now.

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Cool cover art thanks to JJE-187:

Thank you!

ac8k6.jpg

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Alternate cover for bluray:

Natural%20Born%20Killers%20custom_1.jpg

based on art by deviantart user Hartter

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Finished previewing this edit and it was a blast.

It's like a crazy channel hop through a particulaly violent MTV channel. The hyperactive editing and constant dial-flipping music may not be to everyone's tastes but if you liked the original movie and like Tarantino soundtracks, that seems unlikely. Most of the choices for when and where the Tarantino music is used is very well executed for pacing and mood. Considering more than half the material was removed it's impressive that the narrative is perhaps clearer and more focused in this edit. It mostly centers on Robert Downey Jr's TV braodcast which was a wise move. Oh and kudos on taking time to recreate the credits in a Tarantino style.

This is approved :).

14514010924_d2f40d31b9_o.jpg

The render I watched was 1.6GB/1080p. I think a higher bitrate and lower resolution would produce better results (e.g. 1.6GB/720p).

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DLC has been submitted to info, PM me if you can't find it.

TM2YC,
Thank you for the kind words! I did a 720p render at 5000 and it is an improvement so that's the mp4 version now. Good call. I particularly think

TM2YC said:
It's like a crazy channel hop through a particulaly violent MTV channel.

is the best description for this, perfectly put.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Review posted on IFDB:

I am a huge Tarantino fan. I could say a lot about his movies, but we don’t need that. What I’ll say is I decided to read the script as I watched the edit, and not just a PDF I got off a popular site, the Faber & Faber book I bought (and read) years ago.

General Critiques:

A/V Quality – 10.
Great work. No complaints, I know what working with deleted scenes is like, and the lower quality fits the style.

Visual Editing – 7.
No big complaints, just nitpicks. Amazing how many shots you were able to remove without it looking like a hacked up mess (Stone already did that).

Audio Editing – 7.
A few rough volume shifts here and there for new songs, some bad audio cuts, but pretty solid overall. (See scene specific notes)

Narrative – 10.
Except for some criticisms I give below, this was incredibly well executed in terms of following the narrative Tarantino wrote. Of course nobody would ever be able to make a 1:1 faithful line-for-line re-edit of the script, and that’s not the point. This is a fabulous look at a “Could Have Been” movie.

The most fascinating thing about this version of the story is how loud & clear Tarantino’s original concept was, a psychotic satire about the media frenzy caused by a pair of spree killers. While I’m not going to bother arguing who’s vision was better, Oliver Stone or Quentin Tarantino, it’s unquestionable this is a different beast. It’s not the “Hyper-Edited Badlands on Acid” movie anymore.

Narratively speaking, the plot is paper thing (and I’m talking about the script) and there’s little character development. That is something I think Stone did well in his rewrites, but I can see where QT was trying to go with it.

Enjoyment – 8.
Overall this was a great rewatch and a decent fanedit! With some more technical polish this could be a real gem.

My main negative view… There was too much reliance on songs already used in Tarantino films. I had the same criticism for njvc’s “Pulp Empire” and I may have been in the minority for that one. But personally speaking, I would have remixed it with the intention, “If QT really did direct this, what music might have he chosen?” There are a million and one great pop/rock songs from the same genres he loves that he hasn’t used, and it could have made this even more unique if it had an “original” soundtrack. Again, this is an opinion and YMMV.

I will say though, the songs you selected were badass and the majority fit perfectly. And this makes a nice double-feature companion to “True Romance – The Tarantino Cut”.

Scene Specific Criticisms. [SPOILERS!]

The opening Wayne Gale montage and Mickey & Mallory capture sequence was nicely edited, but it should have taken place after the opening scene in the diner, where the script indicates “Credit Sequence.” Putting the credits before the diner scene is incorrect, if the intention is to follow the script.

(Nitpick.) I understand why you did it, but personally I didn’t care for the “Miramax Films Presents… A Band Apart… by Quentin Tarantino” credits. Those companies didn’t produce this film and it’s a lie to say this is “by QT”.

Script has Mallory singing “Long Time Woman” while she’s in her cell at the beginning. Stone didn’t do this, but it would have been a nice touch to put that song somewhere. Yes QT used it in Jackie Brown and you could say I’m contradicting myself, but that’s one he specifically wrote down.

Technically, the Hun Brothers interview comes before the Reinghold interview and the montage of foreigners. But, that whole portion of the script is very sloppy and it no doubt would have been re-ordered in the editing room, even if he shot everything word-for-word, and I think you placed it nicely. (But nitpick, I would have cut the fade to black, I hate how deleted scenes do that shit.)

There’s some pretty bad audio editing in the court-room deleted scene. Everything is too quiet, music should have swelled louder when he stabbed her, etc.

Oops, flash frame around 27:39, a color frame in between B&W shots. Oof, some bad audio cuts immediately after that as well.

Bullwinkle Pt 2 was put on a loop for way too long.

I’m undecided on if I like that you kept McClusky’s severed head. It’s not in the script, in fact he writes the opposite of the grisly violence that was filmed. “Freeze frame: As Mickey and Mallory start firing, a la Butch and Sundance. We hear the gunfire and screams of a small war. FADE TO BLACK. EXT. WOODS – DAY…”

But… in QT’s script McClusky disappears early on and the Deputy Warden Wurlitzer has a beefier role. McClusky in the final movie is essentially those two guys combined, so since it’s already uncontrollably different it makes sense to end with that climatic moment.

Some awkward edits in the final confrontation with Wayne.

Nice use of Alan Smithee!!

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Neglify said:
Overall this was a great rewatch and a decent fanedit! With some more technical polish this could be a real gem.[/SPOILER]

Thank you so much for the detailed feedback! It is very helpful. The music thing was a big choice. I originally thought it would be cool to do the way you suggested but it just comes down to my lack of music knowledge. I love QT's soundtracks but don't listen to that type of music at all. So I'm a terrible person to choose stuff in the stylistic vein without being from his other movies. Other folks probably have a bunch of music off the top of their heads that could work, I just really don't. I'm glad it still works as is, though.

Two things you pointed out that I really took to heart: the title card and the intro. You're absolutely right about the credits and where the script calls for them. I created them after the fact and put them in the beginning but that was not correct.

The other is my idea to use the title cards. I get why you're not a fan of the Miramax ones but I like them there as an alternate reality type thing. However, the "by Quentin Tarantino" card IS misrepresenting the man himself in a way.

I did not intend to alter the edit after release but you raised some great points that should have been heeded given the intention. I have reordered the credits and changed the title card to say "written by Quentin Tarantino." I know he refused writing credit on the theatrical but since I'm going off of what he DID write, I am philosophically okay with that.

Since it still hasn't been published on the other site, I will reupload and get them updated links. (Of course I fixed the flash frame and reworked the courtroom audio which was pretty rough. It was my first audio rebuild from scratch and it showed). Thank you for watching and giving great ideas in the spirit of the edit's intention.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
You're welcome, sounds like a good plan. :)

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This is now updated and available on the other site. Enjoy!

Adabisi

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Review posted at ifdb:

This is a great edit. I liked the original well enough, but haven't seen it in years. This was the perfect way to rewatch it and easily replaces the original for me. I love the concept and the execution. Sure, the audio is a little wonky in spots but the movie is supposed to be a bit of a frenetic mess. No issues with the reuse of Tarantino music - it drives home the point of the edit. This is an excellent edit and I'd recommend it to all Tarantino fans.

Oh, and my favourite part? No more Rodney Dangerfield.

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Adabisi said:
This is an excellent edit and I'd recommend it to all Tarantino fans.

I'm really glad it worked for you - very good praise to get from someone who has consistently produced great stuff!

Adabisi said:
Oh, and my favourite part? No more Rodney Dangerfield.

Seeing them get killed for about five seconds seemed like the right amount of Mallory's parents to me. :) In the script it was just quick cuts to their deaths, not an awful old-timey incestuous sitcom because MEDIA MAKES MURDERERS.

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
I was working on an edit of 'Inglorious Basterds' a while back and collected a big folder of Tarantino-esque music. I'll suggest some tracks.

Could you please suggest some? I am seriously considering making an alternate audio track with QT-esque music instead of actual QT tracks. I had considered it in the beginning but really none of it is my kind of music normally so my knowledge is pretty weak. A lot of people have mentioned how cool it would be to not have iconic musical cues and I think it could be fun to do.

Any ideas from the rest of the community are also welcome, of course. :)

Vultural

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
How much music do you want?
mp3 OK? Flac? Wav?
Will send you a packet.
Advise.

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Neglify said:
Own The Source still applies by the way...

As with all my rescores, I buy the tracks on google music (or elsewhere if I have to) and use those. I work in project management; I'm all about that legal CYA. But I would love as many ideas as anyone has so I can check out the music. I'd rather parse through tons and tons of stuff to get the vibe just right.

Top Bottom