• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

NASA, their new rockets, and going to the moon

lewis886

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ok, yeah... this is a really random thread for her... but that's why it's in off topic hehe

So.. NASA has this whole mandate to retire the shuttle, design a new ship to launch crew, and to implement the "Vision for Space Exploration".... which includes landing back on the moon by 2020, and establishing a moon base after that, and planning towards and eventual manned Mars mission.

so... what is NASA currently doing to this end? well, they are planning on retiring the shuttle in 2010... and they have plans for a couple of new launchers.... which the first launcher won't be ready until march 2016.... that's 6 years without the ability to launch people into space.... interesting huh? well... so what is this delay all about? what are they designing that we will be waiting 6 years for? well... that's complicated....

one of the mandates in the "vision for space exploration" is that they must utilize the shuttle infrastructure, workforce, hardware, etc... keep that in mind....

the first ship is called Ares I... the idea was just to have a smaller launcher that will only launch crew.... so basically they start with a solid rocket booster (the white things on the sides of the space shuttle stack), and they throw a small upper stage on it, and it's supposed to be a quick easy way to space..... welllllll...... first of all they have to basically start from scratch with this ship... because this type of thing has never been done.... on top of that... all of the performance milestones haven't been met by the design.... so they had to raise the solid rocket booster from 4 segments to 5 (which requires an almost complete redesign of the whole thing.... meaning you're not really utilizing what you've got from the shuttle).... so even after doing that, it's still not able to lift as much as they would hope.... and there are other issues, such as thrust oscillation (kind of like what happens when you blow on a flute) that might just shake the crew to pieces.... all in all it's going to cost billions upon billions to develop... and even then, it won't be ready until 2016.... doesn't seem like we're saving either time or money there..... and on top of that... it won't be able to life really any cargo.... it's WAY less capable than even the shuttle.... but more expensive....

so what's after that? well... they have this huge behemoth of a rocket, that is mainly going to be for cargo... it's called Ares V... this is a ship which is going to cost something like $16 BILLION to develop... and billions to operate on top of that... this ship is a huge rocket... that will be able to lift more than the Saturn V moon rocket.... well... once again, it is not meeting design specs.... and is so underpowered they had to add another engine.... and make the SRB's on the side even LONGER... which means a separate set of SRB's will have to be developed for this rocket... making development even more expensive... the total development and operating cost of this new system over the next 20 years will be about $35 BILLION dollars....

is this the best way to do things? well, right now we actually have a fairly good heavy launch system that is actually pretty good.... the shuttle stack.... and i know you're thinking "but we've already had 2 shuttles and crews lost"... well, that was due in large part to the actual "shuttle"... having the shuttle on the side is a bad idea.... but what if you took the engines out of the shuttle, and put them on the bottom of the fuel tank (big orange tank that the shuttle sits on), and then put a cargo section and apollo type capsule on the top? you've got a heavy launch system that NASA already builds... is already familiar with, and is actually fairly cheap (the only expensive part is the shuttle itself... 3 decades of budget cuts have trimmed it down to a very efficient system).... this thing can launch the 12-story building that is the space shuttle into orbit... and we are just going to throw the whole system away... and spend billions upon billions of dollars developing a new system that is less capable and far more expensive... and takes far longer.....

this idea, of putting the engines on the bottom of the fuel tank, and the crew and cargo on the top is a rocket design and launch system called "Direct 2.0" or... the Jupiter 120 rocket....

http://www.directlauncher.com/

cheaper, safer, and sooner than nasa's current plans.... not only that... but if you add an upper stage... you can send missions to the moon.... launch 2 of the rockets with upper stages (Jupiter 232), and you can send more weight to the moon than NASA's new behemoth Ares V.... and with far less cost... and far sooner.... and $35 billion cheaper over the next 20 years....

their plans say NASA could be launching crews to the ISS on the Jupiter 120 by 2012... less than 2 years after retiring the space shuttle... if they start now.... and they could save tons of money.... money they could put to more science missions.... and yet, NASA keeps plodding along on this plan that needs Apollo era funding in an era when NASA will never get it.... in the apollo days nasa was getting 4 percent of the us budget.... today nasa gets 0.6 percent of the budget... and this in a time of looming depression... and a time when space exploration is far less popular than in the 60's .... and there's no space race to fuel it.... and NASA's new administrator Michael Griffen... wants to throw away nasa's current cheap tested heavy launch system in favor of a huge system that likely won't even get funded... and which is far more expensive and far less capable.... what the hell is going on? seems very strange to me....

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/

ok... that's enough of my soapbox rambling lol

hmmm. seems like a wasteful direction. I think space exploration is very interesting, BUT I think we have too much going on here on Earth that needs our attention and dollars. There are still many places on our own planet that have never been explored, and we are continually finding new species hidden on our planet.

Aside from that, billions of dollars on this..... how many people could we feed on the planet with that money. I think we need to look at our priorities sometimes. Why are we so quick to look towards the stars? is it because we know we are fucking up our own planet, and we need to find the next spot? maybe.

Dont get me wrong, I love space exploration, and I find the science and the possibilities fascinating, but I think there is sooo much here on our world that NEEDS our attention first.

well... i know what you are saying.... but then again... there will ALWAYS be a huge number of things that need doing here on our planet... that will never change... not in our lifetimes... not in our great great great great great grandchildren's lifetimes.... so does that mean we just never should ever bother with space exploration? no.. i don't think so... i think we do need to do a better job of dealing with the problems we do have... but that is always going to be the case... and that's another discussion anyway.... nasa gets $16 billion a year (0.6% of the budget)... and the Iraq war gets $500 billion.... ... should we be taking money away from exploring the universe we live in? or take it away from invading other countries? lol

anyway... the point of what i wrote isn't really about whether nasa should be funded or not... it was about what nasa is doing with what they have.... i agree... there are many better things that could be done with $35 billion than throwing it away on a less capable launch system than what we've already got.....

for a moon shot they will still have to launch 2 rockets... (Ares 1 with crew, and Ares 5 with cargo), and yet will have far less lifting power than 2 Jupiter 232 rockets... it's all about efficiency.... and not only that... but for each kind of rocket.. you have to have a whole infrastructure built around it to build and sustain that launch vehicle.... with nasa's new architecture they have 2 different kinds of vehicles.... which means they will be launching each kind less than if they only had one launch vehicle type... but they still have to have all the infrastructure associated with 2 different kinds of rockets.... with Direct you only have one basic kind of rocket... and so therefore one basic infrastructure... so besides any other costs, your infrastructure costs are cut in half.... just seems so wasteful.... is crazy

yes, efficiency is crucial. ...and still the priorities... we need to spend a few dollars less invading other countries. .....but that is yet another topic which we should probably stray from. lol

...and by a few less than 500 billion, I mean 500 billion less

well... i don't know if any of you have noticed... but there has been a LOT in the news in the past few months about this.... quite a few news places have ran stories about this "other" architecture (Direct) that was designed by these guys in their spare time and claims to be better than NASA's current plan (because it is).

NASA's current development for the ARES 1 has hit many snags, and they have had to keep shrinking the Orion capsule more and more just to try and make it so the Ares 1 can lift it (because the Ares 1 is so underpowered for it's job).... and yet, in response to questions about Direct... they claim that the Direct concept just doesn't meet their minimum requirements.... which is really funny, because it's way more powerful than the Ares 1, which is their design, and it's not meeting their requirements haha wtf? the Jupiter 120 could launch the original larger Orion ship. plus an ISS module if they wanted to... and currently, the Ares 1 can't even launch the orion... and on top of that, they will need a large INCREASE in nasa's budget to even get to make the bigger rocket (Ares V) at all.... yes... they are actually banking on an increase in their budget at a time when we are facing a depression.... real bright.... many NASA workers and others seem to be fully expecting that the current nasa chief administrator (Mike Griffin, the one who got us into all this mess) will be out as soon as the new president comes in... and they think that the Ares program will be ousted along with him....

i personally am seriously hoping that they get someone with a little common sense in there... who will scrap the whole Ares program and switch over to Direct/Jupiter. it's WAY cheaper, way more capable, available way sooner, and way safer (we have 30 years experience with the shuttle stack). the sad part is that they've already spent like 7 billion on this stupid ares program, and it would STILL be FAR cheaper to switch over to Direct even now.... heck, the Ares program is so incredibly expensive that they could switch over 3 or 4 years from now, and it would STILL be cheaper to switch over to Direct at that point.... which is really sad... and really says a lot about the wastefulness and stupidity of the current plan....

Back
Top Bottom