• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Mythbusters HD preservation

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
another Mythbusters idea ;D

...anyone, Mythbusters is filmed in HD. It airs on the Discovery Network in HD, but they only have released official DVDs (some season sets, some random sets). There is no plan at all for an official high definition release. ...which is a real shame, because a lot of the stunts and effects look great in HD.

What I'm wondering is did they all air in HD? I am pretty sure every episode was filmed in HD, but I'm not sure if they made it to HD channels. I have been able to collect everything from season 6 to present (at the end of season 8) in HDTV caps. I also have a handful of season 5 episodes, and one season 3 episode (likely a repeat which was capped in HD at a later date). Does anyone know if HD versions of seasons 1-4 ever made the rounds?

What would be sweet is if someone put together a massive AVCHD set of all the episodes.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
joe, do you know if seasons 1-4 made it to HDTV?

AvP

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I looked on NG, and only find a few episodes on series 5 and the rest were rips.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thats what I have found through my searching. I'm pretty sure that all episodes were filmed in HD. But it looks like they didn't actually start airing them in HD until season 6, with some repeats from season 5 being aired. I'm guessing this is about the time that HD cable streams started to be more common.

With luck older episodes will air as repeats in HD. I recently found an episode from season 3 (a holiday special) that reaired in HD. Does anyone have Discovery HD, and know if they air older episodes as repeats anytime?

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Mythbusters is airing in a full day marathon today on the Discovery Channel. If anyone has this channel in HD, today might be a good opportunity to get episodes from seasons 1-4 (if they air any).

Ziz

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just because it's being broadcast with an HD signal doesn't mean it was filmed in HD in the first place. Older stuff suddenly re-appearing in HD could just be the same content upconverted and possibly re-cropped to 16x9.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I agree with you. But I have read from multiple sources that Mythbusters was shot completely in HD. Thats why this thread started...

Top Bottom