• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Mystery Science Theater 3000 The Movie - Extended Cut

thebutcher

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
**THIS EDIT IS COMPLETED AND AVAILABLE ONLINE NOW** 
Ow89vQ4.jpg

Every year, Hollywood makes hundreds of movies. This is one of them...all of it!

SOME BACKGROUND…
In 1996, the creative team behind MYSTERY SCIENCE THEATER 3000 brought their small puppet show to the big screen!

But after test screenings garnered mixed reviews, Universal Pictures imposed trims, cuts and re-shoots. The result was a theatrical feature that was actually shorter than a standard episode of the TV series. Notably, a complete host segment was cut and the ending was re-shot drastically.

In 2013, Shout! Factory released a Blu-ray with deleted scenes available as a bonus feature. Sadly, the footage was in bad shape, but I knew there was a way around it….

OVERVIEW OF THE EDIT
Although little could be done to improve the host segments, the deleted scenes where Mike, Tom and Crow riff THIS ISLAND EARTH could be enhanced by keeping their jokes but replacing the picture with the original un-riffed film.

I then added the silhouettes back, taken from when Mike and the bots riff their own closing credits.

To help make the transitions with my reconstructed scenes seamless, I color-corrected the footage of THIS ISLAND EARTH to make it match its surroundings better. A friend of mine also rotoscoped the theater door for scenes where M&TB enter or leave the theater.

Since the deleted scenes included alternate versions of riffs, I included 2 audio tracks:

AUDIO 1 original riffs from the deleted scenes

AUDIO 2 re-dubbed riffs from the theatrical release

Finally, I re-ordered some scenes to accommodate the 3rd added host segment, based on their original placement.

SCREENCAPS
3NUzVGx.jpg

CHANGES

00:00 – Replaced the modern Universal Pictures ident with the accurate 96 version
17:00 – “Fries are up!” / “Sorry Joe…Been working long on that?”
17:50 to 20:00 – RESTORED SCENE
40:37 – “Can we still go out sometime?” / “Can I still use my courtesy fridge?”
40:47 to 47:46 RESTORED SCENES & MOVED “SERVO’S ROOM” SEGMENT
47:49 – “Oh hairball!” / “Hey get off my mousie! You’re on my mousie!”
48:49 – “Uh, pudding?” / “Uh, jelly?”
49:20 to 49:52 – RESTORED SCENE
50:29 – “Now it’s time for the Brak Show!” / “Now it’s time for the Brak Show!”
50:51 – “Eat my photons, small heads!” / “Eat my forehead!”
50:58 to 51:30 – RESTORED SCENE
52:00 – “Ooooh! Ahhh!” / “And his coffin will be made entirely out of coconuts!”
52:06 – “I got tubes in my ear!” / “Saw a big old perch down there!”
52:11 to 52:31 – RESTORED SCENE
1:03:10 to 1:07:52 - RESTORED SCENES & RESTORED “STORM SHELTER” SEGMENT
1:08:18 to 1:09:08 – RESTORED SCENE
1:20:44 to 1:23:35 – RESTORED “MUT-ANT” ENDING

CONCLUSION
My goal was to make this the definitive version of MST3K THE MOVIE for fans of the series who wish to see the complete cut in the best quality possible. I hope you enjoy it!

WE’VE GOT MOVIE SIGN!!!!

I'm determined to see this. I love this movie (which one am I referring to though? ROFL)

First off... Awesome! Thanks for doing this! 

Second... Did the Bootsy Collins riff make it in? (I feel like one of them says it in the making of - which might be an audio source for it - but not sure there's an actual deleted scene of it.)

Anyway, will definitely watch this.

Bootsy Collins is also a riff in #913 "Quest of The Delta Knights", but I can't recall who says it at the moment.

Dr. Chim Richalds said:
First off... Awesome! Thanks for doing this! 

Second... Did the Bootsy Collins riff make it in? (I feel like one of them says it in the making of - which might be an audio source for it - but not sure there's an actual deleted scene of it.)

Anyway, will definitely watch this.

Unfortunately, no. I didn't think of adding the one from the making-of until someone else on a MST3k forum pointed it out... 
I might do another version, or just upload the updated audio track, so people can remux the MKV of my edit themselves.

I just finished a revised version of the "Original Riffs" audio track, which now includes the famous Bootsy Collins riff.

I may re-upload my edit, or upload the audio file only. Those who want it for completion's sake can then remux it with the MKV of my edit!

Nice work!  That riff works way better there (they were right to complain about it being nixed).

The new and final updated version with the Bootsy Collins riff added back in is available!

PM me for details!

Just an idea for another MST3K thing. Two of the "lost" KTMA episodes were released as Kickstarter exclusives a few months back, but the closing credits were inexplicably omitted. How hard would it be to recreate the credits, using the existing fan copies of other episodes as a guide?

I managed to get this. Will post thoughts later.

Awesome!!! Great idea for an edit (or restoration). I didn't even know deleted scenes existed.

It's always terrific when someone takes on an older movie that's never been touched by an editor before  -- especially when it's one of my geeky obsessions. :)

Wow, this looks fantastic! (I also had no idea those deleted scenes existed)

Hey pardon the necrobump, but I wanted to say thank you for making this! As a die-hard MSTie you've done us a great service, I'll need to finally check it out for myself soon.

Also wanted to make a suggestion: With the rise of AI upscaling programs in the last few years, perhaps you could try using them on the deleted host segments so they'll look more on par with the rest of the film? IMO these types of programs have been giving pretty impressive results even for lower quality footage, like I had seen in the recent remastering of the VHS extended cut of the Super Mario Bros movie, for one example. Might be worth looking into if you're willing to revisit this edit.

Hey pardon the necrobump, but I wanted to say thank you for making this! As a die-hard MSTie you've done us a great service, I'll need to finally check it out for myself soon.
As a fellow die hard MSTie thank you for necrobumping! I wouldn't have known about this edit otherwise! I've got to watch this too!

Back
Top Bottom