• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Mystery Science Theater 3000 Returns!

50-story high pelvic thrust!

One reason I'm really pumped about this latest news is that I already pay for Netflix.  I don't pay for Vimeo (for good reason) so this was pretty annoying in comparison:

EDIT: Con Man was on vimeo for a price but now it's no longer there (the Buy Now link is dead).  Instead it seems to be on something called Comic-Con HQ.

http://conmantheseries.com/season-1/

No thanks.

Now, the phrasing of Netflix's release leaves some room for ambiguity, but...

...Bill Corbett (“Crow T. Robot”) and Kevin Murphy (“Tom Servo”) from the original cast will reprise their roles in the new series.

They're confirmed to be returning as Bobo and Observer - but the way this is phrased suggests they may also be voicing the 'bots at some point as well?  It'd be neat if they started the first episode with their previous voices, only to be damaged/upgraded/regenerated to the new cast partway through.

I also heard - can't find a clip/excerpt for confirmation - that Gypsy's getting more screentime this season.  Good times!  Still no word as to who will be voicing her, though.

matrixgrindhouse said:
...Bill Corbett (“Crow T. Robot”) and Kevin Murphy (“Tom Servo”) from the original cast will reprise their roles in the new series.

They're confirmed to be returning as Bobo and Observer - but the way this is phrased suggests they may also be voicing the 'bots at some point as well?  It'd be neat if they started the first episode with their previous voices, only to be damaged/upgraded/regenerated to the new cast partway through.

It does sound like they would be voicing the bots. You idea could work. I'm going to miss those bots though.

Update from Joel:

The new season of Mystery Science Theater 3000 will premiere on Netflix on April 14, 2017.

Update from Joel:

The new season of Mystery Science Theater 3000 will premiere on Netflix on April 14, 2017.

BwJtFEBCcAA4tuj.jpg

1385313948000-MYSTERY-SCIENCE-THEATERG1206.jpg

latest

mst3k_twitter_announce_small.png

The more things change, the more they feel the same.  I think.  Gypsy snakes down from the ceiling now?! Crow has big beefy arms - do they work?  Servo seems a bit mightier as well!

Do we know who is voicing Tom and Crow?

And Gypsy, I guess...

^ +1

I was worried there for a fair bit, there wasn't any news on this for the longest time.

TVs Frink said:
Do we know who is voicing Tom and Crow?

And Gypsy, I guess...

Hampton Yount (second human from the left) is Crow.  Baron Vaughn (third human from the right) is Servo.  Netflix's press release ambiguously hinted that maybe, possibly, Bill and Kevin might also reprise their roles?  Don't count on it, but I wouldn't rule out them doing a voice change early in the first episode.  I don't believe Gypsy's voice actress's name has been revealed yet.  And yes, they're breaking with tradition and having her voiced by a woman this time around.  Early reports from the premier screenings describe her as sounding more articulate and less raspy - comparisons were made to female radio DJs.  While there are NDAs in place, initial reaction to the first episode has been very positive, with more than a few of the comments I've read describing it as one of the best episodes of the series.  My hype is huge.

Gypsy is being voiced by Rebecca Hanson.  Because of new puppetry innovations, Gypsy will be appearing more often, both in host segments as well as in the theater.  Gypsy's slow demeanor in the past was attributed to her devoting all her processing power to running the Satellite.  However, thanks to cloud computing (and other science facts), she can now dedicate more of herself to conversation and riffing.  Hasnson will also be one of Kinga Forrester's minions.  

Also:

75fb1a406728456b5f775fc6257938e3_original.jpg

Cambot?  Rocket Number Nine?  A new bot altogether?

It looks like the bastard child of a Tom Servo / Crow / Gypsy threesome. I have no problem with this :D

Yes... hands, shoulder and general proportions are Servo-ish.  Paint is Crow-like, as are the beak and arms.  The eye is Gypsy-esque.  Maybe they can combine, Voltron/Megazord/Constructicon-style?

ThrowgnCpr said:
It looks like the bastard child of a Tom Servo / Crow / Gypsy threesome. I have no problem with this :D

robot sex. the future has arrived.

It looks and feels exactly like I was hoping.  It's got the heart and soul of MST3K, just with a tad more scope and scale thanks to modern technology.  Look at the 34 second mark.  Crow is standing up!  Servo is hovering!  And Crow sounds spot on at the end!

The trailer definitely had me feeling super excited. I can't wait!

Just finished the first episode.  Good stuff!  I wouldn't go so far as to say it's one of the best episodes, but it's certainly a solid outing.  I can't see myself revisiting this one in the same way I do Space Mutiny or The Final Sacrifice, but I had plenty of good laughs.  The new cast endear themselves from the get-go.  Still adjusting to the new voices, but their enthusiasm is wonderful.  Though, perhaps a bit too enthusiastic in places - there were a few riffs that started just before whatever it was in the film they're meant to be reacting to.  I'm sure that'll get ironed out in time, of course.  Without going too far into detail, I'll say that above all else, this is MST3K.  It's got the heart, soul, and comedic style of the original.

Back
Top Bottom