• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

My year with Tarzan

Garp

Reaction score
Trophy Points
BONUS: 'Killer Leopard'

Bomba half-heartedly tracks a potentially lethal leopard, while getting entangled in a married woman's affairs.

This is another of those mix of plots, but one that works rather well. A leopard mauls a native and now has a taste for human blood. Bomba is assigned to kill it, but really this is a subplot for the larger and frankly more interesting story. An American is in Africa, looking for a guide who doesn't ask too many questions. Later, his wife turns up, looking to bring the man home. The mystery is set up well early on, and the story is teased out organically.

As such, this isn't really a Bomba film. Sheffield, looking even more like a man than a boy, is sidelined for much of the story as we catch up with a host of character actors. The story has a number of interesting twists, but still a fair amount of stock footage and recycled scenes from previous films to remind you that it is actually a Bomba film. Compared to other Bomba films, and seeing how late in the series this was, 'Killer Leopard' was a pleasant surprise.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points

With TARZAN'S GREATEST ADVENTURE, you have entered my favourite era of Apeman adventures.

While it is still not quite ERB's Jungle Lord, it is significantly closer. There is no Jane in this era. No Greystoke history. But the character of Tarzan himself is much closer in tone to the books. It is helped by edgier, grittier stories and on location exotic locals. As the movies go on, Tarzan sort of becomes a global troubleshooter... going from one jungle to another to help a friend or solve a mystery; something he did often in the later books.

As for TGA specifically, it is essentially a Western manhunt story. And it does it brilliantly. It is an incredible, exciting and refreshing reboot for the franchise. It is the movie I always suggest to anyone who has never seen a Tarzan adventure for their first experience with the King of the Jungle.

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points

With TARZAN'S GREATEST ADVENTURE, you have entered my favourite era of Apeman adventures.

While it is still not quite ERB's Jungle Lord, it is significantly closer. There is no Jane in this era. No Greystoke history. But the character of Tarzan himself is much closer in tone to the books. It is helped by edgier, grittier stories and on location exotic locals. As the movies go on, Tarzan sort of becomes a global troubleshooter... going from one jungle to another to help a friend or solve a mystery; something he did often in the later books.

As for TGA specifically, it is essentially a Western manhunt story. And it does it brilliantly. It is an incredible, exciting and refreshing reboot for the franchise. It is the movie I always suggest to anyone who has never seen a Tarzan adventure for their first experience with the King of the Jungle.
I've been lurking around this thread without posting as there are so many of these movies I have seen MANY years ago, and so many I have never seen... but when we get to this, I must definitely chime in, as I consider it the best Tarzan movie I have ever seen. However, it must be said that its greatness comes more from the villains than from Tarzan himself. The baddies, headlined by Quayle and Connery, just steal the show completely, and Tarzan almost feels like more of a plot device than a character. I tend to think that if it was all about the bad guys and the Lord of the Jungle didn't even show up, it would have been almost as interesting a film. In that sense, would it really be a good introduction to the character for a newbie? Hmmm...

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've been lurking around this thread without posting as there are so many of these movies I have seen MANY years ago, and so many I have never seen... but when we get to this, I must definitely chime in, as I consider it the best Tarzan movie I have ever seen. However, it must be said that its greatness comes more from the villains than from Tarzan himself. The baddies, headlined by Quayle and Connery, just steal the show completely, and Tarzan almost feels like more of a plot device than a character. I tend to think that if it was all about the bad guys and the Lord of the Jungle didn't even show up, it would have been almost as interesting a film. In that sense, would it really be a good introduction to the character for a newbie? Hmmm...

I think it works mostly well as an intro. Granted it is not an origin story, but I think you get a good sense of Tarzan as a character. His sense of honor. His savagery.

Is he mostly reactive? Yes. But so was Tarzan in many of the novels. A hero is defined by his villains, and I whole heartedly agree, this movie has some of the best ones ever. (y) 😁

Garp

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Week 31: 'Tarzan the Magnificent' [1960]

In trying to bring a killer to justice, Tarzan is pursued by the killer's bloodthirsty family.

'Tarzan the Magnificent' carries on the cat-and-mouse games so successfully seen in 'Tarzan's Greatest Adventure'. This time, it's the apeman himself who is the prey. Killer Coy Banton (Jock Mahoney) is captured, but no one in town wants to take charge of him until the boat arrives to take him to meet his fate at the gallows. They fear the wrath of his murderous family (headed by John Carradine). Mirroring 'High Noon', Tarzan has to deal with the family by himself. However, he is lumbered with a disparate group who have become stranded - including a pompous official (Lionel Jeffries) and an ex-doctor (Charles Tingwell), making his journey more arduous.

After the high bar set by 'Tarzan's Greatest Adventure', anything else afterwards is going to seem a disappointment. 'Tarzan the Magnificent' is a good film and had it preceded 'TGA' I would have praised it more highly. But there is a sense of sameness here - trying to capture lightning in a bottle a second time. The villains are not so fleshed out, and some of the supporting characters are dead weight. The action scenes are well done - especially the climax atop a waterfall - and Tarzan has one of the better introductions on screen; we don't see him for several minutes, just his arrows as they thwack into people and/or trees.

The film proudly states in the opening credits that it was filmed entirely in Africa, and it looks good. Local tribes are used, adding to the sense of authenticity. This was Scott's last film as the Lord of the Jungle, and his successor, very aptly, was Jock Mahoney, his antagonist here. Mahoney gets to show his action chops in 'Tarzan the Magnificent', but he is otherwise quiet and brooding, not giving us much of an idea of how his apeman will be played. Still, I'm sorry to see Scott go. He was a breath of fresh air after a lacklustre Lex Barker, and he showed in these final two films that he wasn't just an abnormally well-built lunk.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gordon Scott born on this day, August 3, 1926.

Again, really enjoy this flick! Not as good as TGA, but none are.
But as a follow up, perfectly solid and entertaining.
I like the slow burn tension building and the final climax on the waterfall is a worthy pay-off.
With these last two outings, Scott was able to bring a real grittiness and edge to the role that was previously lacking. And while other good Tarzans would follow, none of them every quite re-captured that quiet savagery.

Garp

Reaction score
Trophy Points
BONUS: 'Lord of the Jungle' [1955]

A herd of elephants is rampaging through villages. The government send a group of hunters to kill them all, but Bomba believes that only one rogue elephant is to blame.

This is the last of the Bomba films, and the franchise goes out on neither a bang nor a whimper (but perhaps closer to the latter than the former). The Bomba films never had the strongest of plots, but 'Lord of the Jungle' has a thin story stretched so much to reach 69 minutes that it's a wonder the filmstock didn't snap. Bomba spends much of the time trying to persuade the hunters, the returning Commissioner Barnes (Leonard Mudie) and the radioed-in voice of the government to allow him to seek and destroy the troublesome pachyderm. Most of the action happens off-screen, with characters relaying scenes of devastation the budget didn't allow to film. We do get recycled footage, of course, of elephants getting into mischief, and perhaps a nod to Sheffield's former role with some underwater scenes of him swimming with this week's leading lady. Nancy Hale plays Barnes' feisty niece Mona, and for a moment there it looked as though Bomba would end his years of stringing girls along and settle down. But no, he's just there to confuse the poor maiden before she comes to her senses and returns to her unseen beau Lewis.

Despite its many flaws, 'Lord of the Jungle' is another cosy inoffensive offering, doing just enough to send Bomba off again into the jungle with his trusty spear and familiar wave to the camera. Johnny Sheffield had one last try on screen (the small one this time), which I'll be reviewing next week, before retiring at the ripe old age of 24. Wikipedia has a short section on his post-Hollywood careers (including importing lobsters); he died from a heart attack following a fall from a ladder whilst pruning a palm tree in 2010. Farewell, Boy and Bomba.

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This was Scott's last film as the Lord of the Jungle, and his successor, very aptly, was Jock Mahoney, his antagonist here.
Famously, Sean Connery was invited back after TGA for the next film, and he replied that he would be unavailable because he had been cast in "some spy movie". "But", he said, "I'll be in your next". Which makes one think: Had Dr. No bombed, would Connery have ended up playing the Lord of the Apesh eventually?

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The name is Clayton. John Clayton.

or would it be,
Tarzan. Me Tarzan.
😂

Hard for me to imagine Connery as the Apeman, though he certainly had the physique for it, but maybe not the hair lol.

Garp

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Week 32: 'Tarzan goes to India' [1962]

Disclaimer: In my late 20s, I spent many months in India, probably totaling over a year. It's not an exaggeration to say that the experience changed my life, and I have a heartfelt fondness for all things Indian as a result. Therefore, I may be more favorable towards this film than it actually deserves.

After playing the villain in the previous 'Tarzan the Magnificent', Jock Mahoney takes over the lead here in 'Tarzan goes to India' and has a pretty good introduction. Bare-chested, flying over an Indian lake in a bi-plane, he dives in and swims ashore - a James Bond move several months before the release of 'Dr. No'. The plot of the film is not unlike that of the last Bomba film 'Lord of the Jungle' [1955]: a rogue elephant has riled up a herd of rampaging elephants. Tarzan believes he can kill the troublemaker and save the rest. Mixed in with this is a dam that is nearing completion, which will flood the surrounding area and drown the elephants unless Tarzan can rescue them. The ticking clock is set.

Mahoney portrays an older, leaner and more thoughtful Tarzan, which is unusual but not uninteresting. His Tarzan also climbs a tree to avoid a cobra, gets captured (twice!) and needs saving from a leopard attack even while wielding a chain. Not quite the heroics we're used to. Still, it felt like Tarzan wasn't the star of the film, but that the wonderful locations, hundreds of extras and dozens of elephants were. India looks terrific here - you can almost smell it - and sets (which were mostly all destroyed at one point or another by the dozens of elephants) were impressive.

Another draw is the villain Bryce, played by Leo Gordon. Tarzan has come across many ruthless explorers, poachers, guides and businessmen before, but Bryce is a special kind of bastard. The film is better with him in it, and it's a shame the writers decided to shuffle him offscreen two-thirds of the way through. Also worth mentioning is Jai the Elephant Boy as the chirpy orphan and a pseudo-Boy, if you like.

Overall, 'Tarzan goes to India' gave me a whiff of nostalgia, and that was enough for me.

Garp

Reaction score
Trophy Points
BONUS: 'Bantu the Zebra Boy' [TV] [1956]

Johnny Sheffield couldn't quite let go of the jungle after his string of films as Tarzan's Boy and later Bomba the Jungle Boy. Thus his father created and directed him in a TV pilot called 'Bantu the Zebra Boy', who is Bomba in all but name. The main differences are that Bantu wears a zebra-skin loincloth, rides a zebra instead of an elephant, and doesn't string any young maidens along - at least, not in this solo episode. (In fact, there are no women to be seen at all.)

The plot of this 25 minute episode is an amalgam of many Bomba and Jungle Jim stories, featuring evil witch doctors, a secret diamond mine, a tribal prince who would be king, and a double-crossing explorer. This is not a Bantu origin story - we aren't given any reason as to why Bantu is in Africa nor why he has befriended zebras (even Bomba was given a backstory in his opening films) - but maybe that was a mystery that would have been explored if 'Bantu' had ever been picked up by a TV company. As such, it's a one-off and, despite some relatively high production values (the sets and costumes look good, and I'm sure it's not cheap to keep a trained zebra), it's not hard to see why we never saw Bantu on the small screen. Unfortunately, like his previous co-star Johnny Weissmuller, Johnny Sheffield had charisma and screen presence, but was not great at delivering lines.

The more interesting aspect of this episode is the hard sell at the end to potential sponsors. The actor who plays the Commissioner (yes, like Bomba, there is an English Commissioner here) highlights Bantu's special bracelet, which Bantu flips over a couple of times in the show. Apparently it's a visual affirmation of him beginning to do a good deed, and then again when it is completed. (The unspoken nudge is that this bracelet could become prized kiddie merchandise.) Sheffield then addresses the camera himself, introducing his zebra and hoping that he will be working with the sponsors real soon. Alas, it was not to be.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points

For me, this is a weaker entry in the Weintraub era. It is still very entertaining, but after the previous two TGA and TTM, this feels a bit more like a throw back to earlier times. But as @Garp wonderfully expounded, the location work is gorgeous and really elevates the material.

And Jock Mahoney as Tarzan? He is fine in this first outing. Easily, the most seasoned and experienced actor to assume the role thus far in the franchise. Though his performance is more American Cowboy than African Lord, which reflects his long career playing such western roles.

Garp

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Week 33: 'Tarzan's Three Challenges' [1963]

Tarzan must overcome a series of challenges in his quest to bring a young king safely to his throne.

Jock Mahoney returns for his last gasp as Tarzan - not so far from the truth, as apparently he was gravely ill during shooting and unfortunately looks it throughout 'Tarzan's Three Challenges'. The film - which could also have been titled 'Tarzan Goes to Thailand' - sees our jungle hero parachuting into an unnamed Asian kingdom. He had been tasked with accompanying The Chosen One (yes, he is called that) from his village to take the place of the ailing King.

The actual Three Challenges are a bit of a red herring, as Tarzan dispatches them early on and all within about five minutes. (I've read an opinion that those three challenges are one part of two other challenges Tarzan meets during the film, so take your pick.) Like 'Tarzan Goes to India', the location work is stunning, and parts of this film look like a Cinerama travelogue. The story is unique though still has some familiar jungle touches - the double-crossing guide, for example, and the cute animal sidekick (a baby elephant named Hungry in this case).

Woody Strode plays the villain and is terrific. He snarls and fights, all for the love of an ungrateful yet wiser son. It's an excellent performance and I couldn't help wondering what a great James Bond villain he would have been. In fact, this film reminded me of James Bond quite a bit, with its exotic locale and especially the scene in which Tarzan is nearly run down by a motorboat.

There's plenty of action, with a forest fire and a climax featuring a trial of speed and strength between Mahoney and Strode. Overall, I'd say the parts are better than the sum of this film - it didn't quite come together for me - but I was periodically entertained. As for Mahoney, I enjoyed his brief portrayal as Tarzan - older, nurturing, pensive - but he won't be the actor that immediately springs to mind when I look back on this year-long adventure.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points

Of Mahoney's two Ape Man flicks, this is my favourite. I have often thought, if a different actor (Scott, Henry or Ely) had done this flick, it might be considered a Tarzan classic on par with Greatest Adventure. As this movie has an exciting, formula breaking plot that really feels like it leapt off the pages of an ERB penned adventure. But in the end, it is undone by Mahoney himself. As noted, Mahoney caught dysentery (apparently from swimming in the polluted Thailand waters) and lost over 30 pounds throughout the filming. So by the time the movie reaches it's climatic battle between Strode and Mahoney, he was pale shadow of his former self, and in no way does it believably look like Mahoney could physically defeat Strode's character.

@Garp if you think this one has a James Bond vibe, just wait until the next one, Valley of Gold -- you are in for a real treat!!!! :)

Garp

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Week 34: 'Tarzan the Ape Man' [1959]

While Gordon Scott was finishing up his reign as the Lord of the Jungle, MGM studios decided to remake their 1932 version of 'Tarzan the Ape Man' with Denny Miller taking on the leading role. What we have here is an interesting comparison to Sy Weintraub's Tarzan films, and by interesting I mean not very good.

To deal with the passable parts first, most of the film is a colourful delight. The jungle looks like a vivid paradise, albeit fake and overblown, almost like an African Munchkinland. Interspersed are some stock footage and scenes from other films, as is par for the course, most of which don't look too out of place (more on that later). The zebra stampede is probably the highlight of the film, although I doubt it was filmed especially for this.

And then we have everything else. Miller looks the part, being handsome and chiseled, but comes across as a cheerful idiot. You get the impression he wouldn't last five minutes in a real jungle. Joanna Barnes as Jane is appropriately petrified of this leering loon to start with, but there is zero chemistry here and no indication why she would want to give up her life to stay with the imbecilic man-child. Cesare Danova as their guide in search of the Elephants Graveyard comes out slightly ahead in terms of acting, but for this film it's a low bar.

The worst transgression of this film, however, is the drab and murky night scenes, of which there are many. Why so many, you ask? So that MGM can add footage from the original 1932 black and white film into this 1959 technicolor film. Yes, they try to save a buck by desaturating the colour film to blend better with a slightly tinted black and white film. The result, as you would expect, is awful.

We also get a desaturated Miller wrestling Weissmuller's crocodile, some superimposed (and super-unrealistic) underwater swimming with hippos, and some fake orange flames added to black and white scenes. What on earth were they thinking?

Unsurprisingly, this was Miller's only portrayal as Tarzan, but not the last time MGM would try to resurrect 'Tarzan the Ape Man' (next time in 1981. I have that special delight to come). Although I cannot recommend this film, it has a trainwreck quality that means I wouldn't judge you if you sought it out.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
oh @Garp I am so sorry you had to watch 1959's Tarzan The Ape Man.

It is atrocious.

Valley of Gold should wash away the stench lol.

Garp

Reaction score
Trophy Points
BONUS: 'Jungle Girl' [serial] [1941]

'Jungle Girl' is a 15 chapter serial by Republic Pictures, based on the novel of the same name by Edgar Rice Burroughs, which I have not read. Although, that's probably not relevant as apparently this serial bears no resemblance to the book anyway.

'Jungle Girl' takes pretty much every jungle trope imaginably and throws it at the screen, usually more than once. We have a diamond mine, some double-crossers, some crocodile and/or lion wrestling, evil witch doctors and more. (One of the more unique elements is the addition of an evil twin, but that's not exactly groundbreaking.) Frances Gifford plays the jungle girl Nyoka, with barely a backstory to be seen. She is the daughter of a local doctor, but why she has an exotic name or swings on vines through the jungle isn't explained. Gifford (or her stunt double) is the most acrobatic of vine-swingers so far, with some flips as she throws herself from one to the other. She's a fairly modest jungle girl too, eschewing the skimpy outfits of earlier Janes and going for something that Peter Pan might have in his wardrobe instead.

She is abetted by two male sidekicks, one dashing, one the comic relief, and they take it in turns to rescue each other from various traps. The version of this serial that I watched uploaded onto YouTube has edited all the chapters together, so that the cliffhangers and denouements happen immediately after each other, making 'Jungle Girl' a rather breathless three and a half hour movie. I've made it about halfway through so far, and I don't think I'll return to it to see how it ends. (Although the editing is topnotch, it was not meant to be seen this way, and it reduces it to a relentless series of action set pieces with no discernable arc.)

There were two follow-ups to this serial - 'Perils of Nyoka' and 'Panther Girl of the Kongo' - which I'll also watch and review, albeit half-heartedly.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Today, AUGUST 27th, is TARZAN DAY!
On this date in 1912 the Lord of the Jungle made his first appearance.

7WTBtIal.jpg

PDSCWkUl.jpg

Garp

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Week 35: 'Tarzan and the Valley of Gold' [1966]

Tarzan helps defend a city of gold from an international criminal.

Dare I say it? Yes, I dare. This Tarzan is swinging! With the opening credits reminiscent of Maurice Binder to the groovy soundtrack, this film has a very mid-60s feel. The introduction shows our new Tarzan (Mike Henry) stepping off a helicopter in Mexico in a sharp tan suit carrying a briefcase. The image they are portraying is clear - Tarzan is James Bond. Henry even looks like a cross between Sean Connery and George Lazenby, and is possibly the first Tarzan to sport chest hair. Straightaway, Tarzan is caught up in a shoot-out, and dispatches one of his would-be assassins in a very Bondlike manner - flattened by a large Coke bottle!

The story is not unlike 'Tarzan's Three Challenges' in that here again he has to accompany a young boy safely to his home - there's even another shoot-out in a cave. The boy Ramel (Manuel Padilla Jr) has been kidnapped by another Bondlike villain Vinero (David Opatoshu) with a penchant for exploding jewelry. The boy knows the location of the Valley of Gold, and Vinero means to steal all of it. It takes about 20 minutes for Tarzan to slough off his Western attire, don the loincloth and head off into the Mexican jungle with a lion, leopard and chimp for company.

I don't think anyone would argue that Henry doesn't look the part of Tarzan, but his acting is wooden and emotionless. The film is silly and fun, and desperately cries out for an actor that can deliver the lines with a twinkle in his eye. It's not that Henry plays it too straight, it's that he doesn't really play it at all. He fares better with his onscreen chemistry with his animal army, getting up close and personal with the leopard and the lion especially.

The film zips along merrily, losing a bit of fizz around the third act. Perhaps surprising to say, but I think 'Tarzan and the Valley of Gold' could have done with a few more jungle tropes, as there's not a lot that feels like an authentic Tarzan picture, rather than any other suave action hero. That's not to say it's bad - it's entertaining, especially if like me you like early Bond films - and I would recommend it. Just maybe don't stray too far from your lane next time, thanks.

Last edited:
Top Bottom