• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

My year with Tarzan

I can’t remember, does Barker’s Tarzan wear slippers in this one too???
I wasn't looking too closely throughout, but there were definitely shots of bare feet that I noticed this time after you mentioned the slippers. :)

JUNE 2nd... the birthdate of TWO TARZANS!!

Both Johnny Weismuller and Ron Ely were born on this jungle swinging date!!

😁

BONUS: 'The Lost Volcano' [1950]

An explorer and his sidekicks are searching for a lost city, thought to be centered around an undiscovered volcano, and containing incredible treasures. When a young boy is kidnapped to help them find it, Bomba (previously considered his imaginary friend) is on hand to rescue him.

'The Lost Volcano' is the most Tarzan-like of all the Bomba films so far. To begin with, Johnny Sheffield has a lot of vine-swinging duties here (always landing in the same tree, it seems, but no matter), gets to smack a gun to bits on a tree, and, most telling of all, has a wrestling match with a crocodile. (One of the characters pooh-poohs the myths of "babies raised by monkeys" and Bomba is referred to as the Apeman on several occasions.) The film also features some double-crossing villains, an elderly character who has a very bad outcome trying to defend others and, naturally, another lost city filled with gold and jewels. In fact, it's not far removed from 'Tarzan's Secret Treasure', thinking about it.

Footage of actual volcanic eruptions are put to good use here, and overall 'The Lost Volcano' can hold its own against any of the better Tarzan films. The main sticking point for me is little Tommy Ivo as the kidnapped boy, whose Gee Whizz routine (yes, he actually says that at one point) I found grating. It is of its time, I suppose, as the whole family look like they have been accidentally transplanted from a 1950s TV sitcom - the mother even sitting down for a meal in their jungle home wearing two strings of pearls.

I missed Charles Irwin as his canny Scot character from the previous two films, and if you can't figure out what will happen to the villains in a film titled 'The Lost Volcano', then you are beyond help. Still, a solid Bomba entry all in all.

BONUS: 'Cannibal Attack' [1954]

A Jungle Jim film without Jungle Jim? Sort of. Here Johnny Weissmuller plays... Johnny, still gainfully unemployed in the jungle with his trusty chimp, while the Jungle Jim license lapses, yet there's still 3 films left on his contract. New name, same old plotline.

Is it really too much to ask for a film titled 'Cannibal Attack' to feature an attacking cannibal? Apparently so. Instead, we are served up ex-cannibals which, let's face it, is not anywhere near as exciting. A tribe that used to eat people but don't do that anymore is just a tribe. So what do they do instead? Why, they dress up as crocodiles and beat people over the head with small paddles. Not quite the same, is it?

Tamba the chimp, not to be outdone, also has a new name - Kimba - and seems better behaved, or at least doesn't actively try to get Johnny killed in this one. For those keeping score, Johnny has 3 dips in the water (6 minutes in, 40 minutes later, and then 2 minutes before the end) but the most interesting occasion is when he could have swum but didn't. One of the good guys is being attacked by, yes, a crocodile. Johnny is about to dive in to save him, but trips over his own feet., apparently knocking himself out for a few minutes while he's about it. The good guy then has to wrestle and kill the crocodile on his own, which is actually footage of Johnny and his stunt double from an earlier film. It's just all so meta.

Speaking of reused footage, there's also the giant eagle attack, apparently, although I dozed through that segment and couldn't be bothered to rewind. This is another dull Jungle "Jim" film. With no real cannibals to speak of, we are left with a story about cobalt smuggling, brought to you by those fine people at the Cobalt Trading Company: For all your Cobalt Needs! OK, so I don't know whether there was any cobalt sponsorship going on, but we get a good bit of cobalt advertising early on, stating all the wonderful uses of cobalt, from dental bridge work to radiation. "It's more useful than uranium!" someone says, as if that's a selling point. Don't forget to pick up some cobalt from the concession stand, kids.

Judy Walsh plays the sultry Luora who tries to snare Johnny with her feminine wiles, but he's having none of it, especially after she throws a rock at Kimba/Tamba. "I'm sorry, I'm a native, I have no sense of humor," she deadpans. The film finally lumbers to a close with Tamba/Kimba wearing glasses, reading a newspaper and then hitting a crocodile disguise with a paddle while everyone laughs. But I am with Luora on this one.

...some nice commentary by the ever reliable Tim Deforest about TARZAN AND THE SLAVE GIRL...

Last edited:
Week 23: 'Tarzan's Peril' [1951]

Tarzan is pitted against gun runners and actual African locations in this middling adventure.

Lex Barker is back again, shacked up with yet another Jane. Virginia Huston slides into the Betty Rubble outfit this time, with short hair and even shorter screentime. She is absent for most of the film and incidental to the plot when she does show up, not allowing us an opportunity to assess whether she would have made a good permanent mate for our apeman. Instead, we have a very thin plot which is only somewhat enhanced by new on-location filming.

The film looks good and more epic due to the new African scenes, and the non-location ones are integrated well. Director Byron Haskin has a good eye for interesting framing of shots, but his work is undercut (no pun intended) by obscure editing choices. For example, the climax between Tarzan and our villain Radijeck (George Macready) could have been suspenseful, but is interspersed with unnecessary shots of Cheeta eating a pocket watch. There's no payoff here, except the forced requirement to end on an animal gag.

Dorothy Dandridge turns up as an African Queen in another role that could have been expanded, and Alan Napier (later TV's Alfred Pennyworth) is splendid albeit condescending as the retiring commissioner of the region. There are a couple of set pieces that pass for action, but the two main ones are laughable - a very fake-looking snake that's after Cheeta, and another of those man-eating plants that Tarzan seems to have undue difficulty escaping.

Disappointing, overall. With what must have been a bigger budget and a decent director, this should have been a better film, alas.

BONUS: 'The Hidden City' [1950]

Bomba comes to the rescue of a young girl about to be sold to an evil Emir.

Sources state that this was the first Bomba film to feature extensive outdoor locations, rather than using a soundstage. I admit I didn't notice this that much while I was halfheartedly watching 'The Hidden City' last night. After the relative high of 'The Lost Volcano', this next film in the long-running franchise can only be viewed as comedown. The story involves an Emir (of a hidden city that seems remarkably easy for everyone to locate) on the lookout for a new 'maiden'. A wonderfully obsequious and slimy local (Leon Belasco) offers his daughter, much against her wishes. Things get complicated, evoking shades of one of the storylines from ERB's 'Son of Tarzan', and the Emir puts a hit out on Bomba, to prevent him from spilling certain beans. If this had been handled well, it could have been exciting. But as it stands, it's a bit of a mess.

Still, there is some entertainment to be had here. Sheffield as Bomba still has great fun ignoring girls, repeatedly telling Sue England to "go home" or letting her fend for herself in the harsh jungle environment. As mentioned, Leon Belasco is terrific, as is Paul Guilfoyle, hamming it up with gusto as the evil Emir. But there isn't enough "there" there, neither in action or plot. Disappointing.

BONUS: 'Jungle Moon Men' [1955]

By this stage of the Jungle Jim films, two things have become evident: that Johnny Weissmuller is counting the days until his contract expires, and that the filmmakers will slap on any title to prise a nickel from a young filmgoer's hand. If you were expecting a Jungle Jim vs the Aliens type of film, you would be sorely disappointed. Instead, we have Johnny Weissmuller (the fact that he uses his full name throughout this film is so bizarre) up against a tribe of pale pygmies who worship the moon.

Four minutes in, and Johnny is going for a dip. But it's another cheap ploy, as we've seen this scene before (he's tugging on his pet chimp's line who happens to be fishing). However, because on that occasion his chimp went by the Jungle Jim name of Tamba, there's some awkward overdubbing to include his new name of Kimba.

There's another pretty scientist who is looking for a lost tribe, confident that they hold some secret that could benefit all mankind. Yes, it's the Moon Men, who are weirdly dressed, possibly in the native costume of the people of Malta. There's a couple of double-crossing villains, naturally, and a whole load of jewels to pinch. So far, so typical.

And yet, it's not until the last minutes of the film do you realise that you have in fact been watching a bizarre retelling of 'The Wizard of Oz', with Johnny as Dorothy, the Queen of the Moon Men as the Wicked Witch, and the Moon Men as her enslaved Goons. There are even lions, although they didn't seem particularly cowardly, to be fair. Anyway, does this realisation boost 'Jungle Moon Men' higher up the franchise ladder? No. But it's a curiosity nonetheless.

One more to go...

Week 24: 'Tarzan's Savage Fury' [1952]

A man claiming to be Tarzan's cousin has sought him out in order to find uncut diamonds. Tarzan is skeptical, but Jane (Dorothy Hart) and their newly-adopted son Joey (Tommy Carlton) persuade him to lead an expedition into Waziri country...

'Tarzan's Savage Fury' doesn't do anything particularly new, but still manages to make something interesting out of a worn-out storyline. This is due in no small part to Hart as the new Jane, who in beauty, rapport and personality rivals Brenda Joyce in the role, if not Maureen O'Sullivan. Added to the cast is Carlton as a 'Boy' substitute - another orphan raising himself in the jungle. Carlton is a pretty good actor, but doesn't return in any future films.

Another bonus is the use of the Greystoke name, with Barker's Tarzan even returning to his childhood home. There's a feeling that despite a formulaic plot, the screenwriters were trying for something higher. The second act sags a little as the group are wandering in search of the location of the gems, and the climax dispatches all the villains in ways you would expect. Cheeta fans might feel - ahem - cheated, as she has few of the cutesy cutaways we're used to, but is utilized somewhat in the plot.

Barker is not the most exciting of actors to watch - his signature move seems to be diving at people then throwing them - and his films tend to be retellings of earlier Weissmuller-O'Sullivan movies. But 'Tarzan's Savage Fury' - his penultimate Tarzan film - is worth a look.

BONUS: 'The Lion Hunters' [1951]

It appears that there are only a handful of stories to choose from when it comes to writing jungle films. In 'The Lion Hunters', we get the one in which Americans come to Africa to trap lions, to sell to zoos starved of new wild animals since WW2. Bomba, of course, is against this idea...

'The Lion Hunters' isn't a very interesting film. A good half of the runtime involves hunters capturing lions, and Bomba then secretly releasing them. There is a new young and pretty love interest in the shape of Ann E Todd, whom Bomba enjoys stringing along as usual. There's a side plot about the Masai warriors (who are treated somewhat respectfully here, at least in 1950s terms) and some action set pieces: Bomba wrestles both a crocodile and a lion, although not at the same time.

Johnny Sheffield looks a little like Leonardo DiCaprio from certain angles here, and his acting is a notch better. The stilted dialogue he's given sounds more natural, and there's genuine emotion shown when he is forced to kill a wounded lion early on to put it out of its misery. Still, it's a lesser Bomba movie all round.

BONUS: 'Devil Goddess' [1955]

Johnny Weissmuller hangs up his swimming trunks, in movies at any rate, in this last of the pseudo-Jungle Jim films. Here we have Johnny, helping yet another pretty non-love interest find a missing scientist, thought to be hanging out with fire worshippers. Throw in some greedy explorers out to loot some treasures, and a whole lot of recycled footage, and you got yerself a whimper, not a bang.

So, no, Johnny does not swim in his swansong, alas. We do get one of the more outlandish action sequences, though, featuring a killer ape. Whilst en route to find the aforementioned missing scientist, Johnny is given the news that a killer ape is on the loose. And, within minutes, there he is. Johnny battles him on a rope bridge, the ape is killed, and we're on our way again. It's all from a previous film, of course, but the chutzpah in just throwing it in there without any attempt at logic or continuity is impressive.

What else is there here? Well, no Devil Goddess, as far as I could tell. The scientist turns out to be exactly whom you'd expect, and Kimba the chimp gets the last laugh, naturally. Honestly, I watched this two nights ago and it has merged with every other JJ/JW film, I'm afraid. (The version I saw on YouTube is terrible, far worse than other earlier films, which didn't help matters.) But anyway, that's it for Johnny for now, except for an episode of his Jungle Jim TV show that I'll review next week.

Week 25: 'Tarzan and the She-Devil [1953]

Tarzan battles ivory poachers in Lex Barker's final turn as the Lord of the Jungle.

'Tarzan and the She-Devil' has a few things going for it right off the bat. Firstly, we have some solid actors here, notably Raymond Burr as a villainous poacher, and his under-used sidekick Michael Grainger. The sets look lavish, and our new Jane, Joyce MacKenzie, is competent in an expanded role for Tarzan's mate. Unfortunately, things start to drop off with a very sagging middle section.

Due to miscomprehension worthy of Shakespeare, Tarzan believes Jane to be dead. Thus, for much of the film he is grief-stricken and inanimate, allowing himself to be captured and chained by bad guys. He is sullen and silent, letting all the air out of this already wilting balloon. The film never really recovers, even with a climax that evokes so many other Tarzan endings.

I'm not sorry that this is the last I'll see of Lex Barker. Despite his looks and physique, he never seemed comfortable to me in the role. The plots were no better or worse than anything that had come before, and Barker is as adequate an actor as Weissmuller ever was. The difference is that Weissmuller imbued a sense of playfulness, a twinkle in the eye, that Barker never managed. Thus, despite some good actors in the role of Jane (Dorothy Hart being a stand-out), there was no rapport or chemistry. Even his action scenes seemed lacking, as if he was afraid to mess up his pretty face. Anyway, next up (after a two year break in Tarzan films) is Gordon Scott in the role. Let's see what he can do...

BONUS: 'Elephant Stampede' [1951]

If I was a 12 year old boy in 1951, I would've been itching to see a film called 'Elephant Stampede'. And I would've been slightly disappointed in it too. Here we have another jungle film about ivory poachers, a local tribe, and a pretty school teacher's assistant smitten with our boy Bomba.

The villains in this piece are dastardly from the start, killing a guide in cold blood then stealing his identity. Meanwhile, Lola (Donna Martell) is teaching Bomba to read - things like "lion" and "elephant" and "I love Lola" (I'm not sure that last one is ethically acceptable). Anyway, as usual, Bomba is completely oblivious to the fact that another girl is throwing herself at him, and prefers to go swimming instead.

With a film called 'Elephant Stampede', it's obvious where this film will end up, but the climax doesn't live up to its title, alas. If you are expecting pachyderm mayhem, temper those expectations; it's more of a leisurely stroll with some huts (and, to be fair, people) getting in the way. I dozed a little through this one, but didn't feel as though I missed much.

Goodbye Lex Barker, your sandal wearing Tarzan we hardly knew you.... lol

As I have said, my memories of the Barker era are vague at best. As the franchise wore on, I really think the producer Sol Lesser forgot what made the earlier films so successful... the relationship between Tarzan and Jane. Certainly, the revolving door of "Janes" during the Barker films is indicative of how little Lesser thought of the character. Though, even ERB struggled with what to do with Jane in later novels, often removing her completely from the narrative. The earlier movies certainly had a more grown up/all ages appeal, but as the movies continued on, with recycle plots (and footage), it became more and more matinee kid fare (not that there is anything wrong with that per say).

Next up is Gordon Scott and I am very curious what you reaction will be to him?

While for me he is a more dynamic Tarzan, his true potential does not become fully apparent until producer Sy Weintraub takes over the franchise with the 1959 classic Tarzan's Greatest Adventure.... a title well deserved!

BONUS: 'Jungle Jim' [TV series] [1955]

Johnny Weissmuller returns as the real Jungle Jim, this time on the small screen. There are a couple of adjustments in this transition: Kimba reverts back to Tamba, and Skipper is resurrected! However, instead of being a small yappy dog, Skipper is now a pre-teen boy, the son of Jungle Jim, no less. There's a twist I wasn't expecting. No mention of a mother in the two episodes I watched, so there's another Jungle Jim mystery to explore at some point.

Also rounding out the cast is Kaseem, said to be a family friend, but appears to be a glorified manservant, being assigned any duties Jim doesn't want to do. Perhaps Kaseem is the pseudo-mother figure, as he seems more nurturing to the small dog-cum-boy than the rather brusque Jim.

The episodes I saw didn't stray too far from the Jungle Jim films I know and will never watch again. The first involved double-crossing explorers seeking out yet another lost city, and was the better of the two; it had a 'Raiders...' vibe and plenty of action. The second was a mix of typical 50s sitcom within a jungle plot: Skipper's grades are slipping, so Jim hires a persnickety tutor. There's another ivory poaching scheme and I'm not sure what else as I couldn't keep awake through this one. Anyway, the Jungle Jim shows appear to be microcosms of the films (Jim battles wild beast; Tamba mugs for the camera; side characters who can't be trusted, etc) and not much else. (Jim didn't swim in the episodes I saw, by the way, though him diving into a lake features in the opening credits.) Apparently 26 episodes were made before Weissmuller's TV and film appearances pretty much came to an end. Not bad for a (charitably) average actor.

Just curious, are you going to check out the SHEENA tv shows/movies too?

Week 26: 'Tarzan's Hidden Jungle' [1955]

A new Tarzan swings into the jungle, again coming to blows with some double-crossing poachers.

Gordon Scott makes his film debut in 'Tarzan's Hidden Jungle' with an impressive introduction, swimming with hippos and crocodiles. We don't get to see his face or physique until he's safely on land, teasing the audience for those few extra seconds. Scott is certainly built for the part, but I admit I had trouble looking past his outdated Tony Curtis hairstyle. No matter. Perhaps unsure what this newcomer would be able to produce, the filmmakers decide to make Tarzan an equal character here, shunting Scott from the screen as much as a Tarzan film can.

Still, when the supporting characters are so solid, it was probably not a bad idea. Jack Elam as one of the poachers is a stand-out, but most of the kudos must go to Vera Miles as the doctor's assistant. Miles is radiant here, an obvious star, and takes over a pseudo Jane role in an otherwise Janeless film. (She is hoodwinked by the poachers, realises her mistake too late and then needs rescuing when she tries to right the wrong.)

The film seemed a little disjointed to me. Without Jane, or apparently a home, Tarzan comes across as aimless, coupled with the fact that he can disappear for several scenes. It's difficult to judge his acting prowess from only one film, especially as cinematic Tarzan's stilted dialogue is still vehemently adhered to, but filmgoers and the producers must have liked him, as I'll be watching him again in 5 more films. Like many a jungle film, there are several plots colliding, taking far too long for them to converge. The film also suffers from a plethora of poor quality stock footage, much more noticeable in this sharp mid-50s print.

Overall, 'Tarzan's Hidden Jungle' is let down by a weak and tired plot, and a timid use of its star, but makes up for it with an excellent supporting cast. Hopefully a new studio and the addition of colour (!) will improve Scott's tenure going forward.

BONUS: 'African Treasure' [1952]

Bomba is called upon to help free the locals forced to work in a diamond mine.

These Bomba films keep spinning their wheels, not getting very far beyond where they started. 'African Treasure' is a good example of the paint-by-numbers formula the filmmakers have adopted. There's another explorer who is not what he appears to be, and another very pretty young girl (Laurette Luez). But, just to change things up a bit, she's not swooning over our Bomba while he strings her along with a cheeky grin. She is instead laser focused on rescuing her father, with no time to linger over Bomba's ever-expanding frame.

There isn't much to distinguish this film. What should have been the climax - a landslide - comes 3/4 of the way through the film, and nothing quite so exciting happens after that. Without his usual playful rapport with his leading lady, Sheffield comes over as a bit bored, and it's unfortunately infectious. Low tier Bomba, I'm afraid.

Back
Top Bottom