• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

My Filmora Wondershare story

lantern51

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
As I was looking into new software to upgrade my edits with, I picked this up. It seemed to have what I was looking for on the audio side of the editing. It had a 30 day money back guarantee, so I thought I would try it so I didn't have to deal with free limitations.

As some of you may know, I will do audio replacement in many of my edits. To do that it is imperative that I have a clean readable audio waveform to be able to line up the ripped vocals with the original and be able to distinguish it from the wave with both vocals and music mixed in the proper version.

It turns out that the pattern they use is completely worthless (at least it was to me) so I requested a refund. I have been embattled with them for almost 2 weeks now over this. They are saying it is a technical issue that they need to resolve before they will refund me. I keep telling them it's not a technical issue, it's a design issue. So in short they are refusing to honor their own refund guarantee!

I write this because new and inspiring fan editors come here looking for guidance when they are trying to see what software they should use. I feel like this is important enough to warrant a post for at least a caution when trying new software.

WilliamRedRobin

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I use filmora for no particular reason other than that's what I ended up using.
I can say its pretty easily to use if you just want to make cuts and drag things around on a timeline, but it is noticeably limited in a few places.
It seems like it's aimed at people who want to edit YouTube videos with it. I couldn't event make a Star Wars text scroll even though I found tutorials for that in earlier versions but most of the text editing options seem to have been removed for some reason.
Having said that, it's not that expensive. If I did end up perminently switching to a different software down the line (which I might) I wouldn't call it a waste of money.

It's pretty messed up that they don't want to refund during refund period, though.

lantern51

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I use filmora for no particular reason other than that's what I ended up using.
I can say its pretty easily to use if you just want to make cuts and drag things around on a timeline, but it is noticeably limited in a few places.
It seems like it's aimed at people who want to edit YouTube videos with it. I couldn't event make a Star Wars text scroll even though I found tutorials for that in earlier versions but most of the text editing options seem to have been removed for some reason.
Having said that, it's not that expensive. If I did end up perminently switching to a different software down the line (which I might) I wouldn't call it a waste of money.

It's pretty messed up that they don't want to refund during refund period, though.
I have been playing with DaVinci Resolve V18. This seems like pretty darn good software now and a ton of YouTube videos that really help with any questions. Plus it's free!

lantern51

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I didn't know there were any good free editing programs.
I'll try this one for my next edit and see how it feels.
It's a little advance, so there are a lot of different tabs. I would personally suggest to start with the basic editing tab. But you can look up a video on each tab individually and see how you want to start out. But I have mine set up in a way most familiar to me and my current (soon to be old) software because it's how I'm used to my work flow.
But that's how versatile the software is.... You can customize it for you.

lantern51

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Got some good news today. Finally they said they would "make an exception" and offer me a refund. So the story has a happy ending. Would I still ever recommend this software, no. I have made some pretty nice edits from what I hear LOL with another software that is free over the years.

ArtisDead

Banned
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I know I didn't recommend that program. I'm pretty sure that I recommended Avid since I couldn't get you to take the leap to Premiere.

lantern51

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I know I didn't recommend that program. I'm pretty sure that I recommended Avid since I couldn't get you to take the leap to Premiere.
I'm actually kind of digging Davinci Resolve right now.

Tober27

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I am inexperienced and have used Filmora a little, very hatchet cut and paste stuff.
I don't quite know how to ask with "correct" terms, but is there a way to save the edit in the "original file quality"?
I look at the stats of the original, and match them as close as possible when saving the edit, but the resulting file is often clearly lower quality. If that makes sense. So I can trial and error until I don't see the difference, but am not confident I haven't lost quality in the process.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about and can comment? Thanks.

WilliamRedRobin

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
If you're matching the resolution correctly, it might be the bitrate that's off. There's a "settings" button next to the preset drop down where you can change the bitrate.
You should be able to find the original bitrate in the properties of the original file, but the standard for HD is 8000kbps.

Other than that, I'm not sure.

Tober27

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks.
I was trying to match the bitrate as much as possible too. It was actually an SD video that I noticed it with, so maybe the quality was too low to be matched or something... The only way I could get it to look as good, to my eye, resulted in the files being larger than the originals, even though the running time was lower.
Maybe it was just the crappy videos I was working with, but it took my confidence for doing anything bigger.

WilliamRedRobin

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Filmora always makes rediculously large files. I'm not sure why, but you can use a program like Handbrake to compress them without losing too much quality.

Tober27

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I don't mind going with big size for quality, but I don't know enough to know when it's overkill.
I was only trimming those files, so only one source. I just wondered if it could be saved "raw" the exact quality/settings it started with without having to try and match them manually.

But putting together a movie, adding deleted scenes, for example, matching the original bitrate, resolution, framerate, should match the quality it started with?
Is there anything else I should look at?

Top Bottom