• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

My ebook sampler collection is free today

Mark Moore

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I don't know if I've ever mentioned it on here before or not, but I self-publish my own original fiction.

Right now, I've got a sampler for free on Amazon (just 'til the end of today) that includes the first story in the four different series that I've started. All except the last are fantasy/sci-fi dealing with heroes of one kind or another.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AAJ4AWU#_

You don't need a Kindle to read it. There's a free Kindle for PC program.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Awesome dude! I've seen your Amazon page before and I purchased the first Blackjack Jill story, I should read it.

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Good luck to you! I've considered adapting a couple of my scripts to novels and self publishing through Amazon. How has it worked for you so far?

Mark Moore

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Q2 said:
Good luck to you!

Thanks! :) I managed to get up to #91 in one of the free categories earlier this afternoon (making it onto a top-100 list), but I can't seem to find it now.

Q2 said:
How has it worked for you so far?

Mixed. I started by pricing my stories higher, based on word count (following a suggestion from Dean Wesley Smith in one of his blog posts). I later reduced the short stories to 99 cents, and the collections were priced at $2.99. I have since raised the prices again, but I'll probably lower some of them again.

I'm torn between reducing the shorts to 99 cents to boost sales and leaving them at where they are (so I can make more than 35 cents on each sale).

I've intentionally priced the "Blackjack Jill" stories higher - not just so they'll qualify for the 70% royalty rate, but because, starting with the second story, it gets a lot more adult in content, so I figured $2.99 might dissuade kids from buying them.

It's a balancing act, and I'm likely being hurt by not having eye-catching covers. I can't draw, so I've relied on doing bare plain-text covers. It's probably costing me sales, but I can't see myself spending money on a cover for a story that will net me less than a dollar per sale.

I did receive my first royalty payment from Amazon a short while ago. It's not much, but I might consider springing for a drawn cover for "Becoming a Hero: The Complete Collection".

Top Bottom