• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Musicians, what are you working on?

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
If it’s not readily apparent, I’m also using this thread as motivation/accountability. I’m up to 170bpm. I can get through it at 180 but not cleanly. I always push through a few times at 10 bpm past my comfort level at the end of each practice session. There are parts that I can do at full speed (200 bpm) pretty easily. There’s just a few parts that are hanging me up.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The danger of doing your own transcription is that as you get up to speed, you sometimes find that the fingerings you chose are just simply too hard at speed. That’s what’s going on with me right now. I’ve got the whole thing pretty well wired but there’s three spots where I think I need to adjust the fingerings. The jumps are just too big at 200 bpm. The problem is that requires relearning the muscle memory. I was being stubborn and trying to work through it but today I finally threw in the towel and am going to adjust my transcription tomorrow. 🙄

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I posted here about some expensive plugins that are now available for free temporarily. Generally useful for audio editing in some cases, but if you're a musician, among these are amp sims, a synth VST and some mastering and EQ plugins that can make polishing things very easy. I've already downloaded and started using some for a masters module and it's a really great package.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Does anyone here use Logic Pro X? I’m thinking of making the upgrade from GarageBand. My music room MacBook is a little long in the tooth, but it does seem to handle the most current OS and GB version. Will it be sufficient to handle LPX as well or is it a much more resource intensive program? Thanks!

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
No Logic Pro users here? Not only do I want to be sure my system can handle it, my practice time is also precious to me so I’d rather not spend it learning a new DAW if the benefits won’t be significant.

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
A lot of faneditors are PC users. Logic is a popular musician's tool though, so I'd be surprised if there wasn't someone. I don't use it but I work with people who do and I can tell you that the learning curve will be pretty simple compared to other DAWs and it will definitely be a significant upgrade from garage band. I don't know enough about macs to tell you about performance though.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
No Logic Pro users here? Not only do I want to be sure my system can handle it, my practice time is also precious to me so I’d rather not spend it learning a new DAW if the benefits won’t be significant.

I have used Logic Pro before, and my band used it to record our last album. I liked it, but I'm a PC user. At the suggestion of a friend a few years ago I tried out Reaper. I absolutely love it. The nice thing about Reaper is that it is completely customizable, in terms of appearance, layout, and functionality, and there are lots of community scripts and add ons. At first I used a Logic Pro X theme to ease my transition (I think there are even Garage Band themes), but ditched that for something that was a little more flexible (and attractive looking) that I customized even further.

I honestly don't see a reason to jump into Logic over Reaper when the latter is a fraction of the costs, runs on all platforms, and is completely customizable.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I just got myself a new keyboard today that I found on sale at walmart. I used to take piano lessons throughout my childhood and early teens, but never got very good and I haven't played in years now. I'm excited to get back into it. I was messing around earlier, I'm still pretty decent at playing the basic melodies of songs by ear, but anything more complicated like using multiple fingers at once is hard, and I'll have to completely relearn how to read sheet music. I'm by all means a beginner, but I'm determined to get better.

Top Bottom