• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Music Use for YouTube

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I hope this is the right place to ask this as it’s not for a fan edit. My kids do a YouTube channel (pretty much for family and friends) about our travels while in Europe. Earlier this month we went to the Dolemites in Italy and it so much reminded me of Mordor that I wanted to use some of the Shore soundtrack. Now I see soundtrack stuff posted all over YouTube so I assume I could use it without the video being blocked, but I’m just not sure. The channel is not monetized so I’m not concerned about that. Does anyone know about the policies and/or what if need to do?

Here’s a shot I took of the Dolomites for reference:

73-C49930-66-C8-4913-91-B5-24-E7-E23-F3-C29.jpg

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I think it depends on how much of something you use. I've never had any videos blocked. You'll most likely get flagged for copyright and won't be able to monetize the particular video, but it shouldn't be blocked.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
DigModiFicaTion said:
I think it depends on how much of something you use. I've never had any videos blocked. You'll most likely get flagged for copyright and won't be able to monetize the particular video, but it shouldn't be blocked.

Yeah I’ve used some very obscure classical and had it receive a copyright claim. But I recently used just eight seconds of the Sound of Music theme and it went unchecked. But with that I could’ve easily removed the eight seconds if blocked. With this I’d have to redo the whole video.

I mean people use a lot of soundtrack music on YouTube. They all have copyright claims but I have no idea if some get blocked and/or what to do to be on the happy side of that. Again I don’t care about claims, I just don’t want it blocked.

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
If you don't want to go through the work of making the video only to have it blocked, you could always upload a test video. Just upload the audio on its own and see what happens. You can keep it unlisted so it won't be visible to others.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Scribbling Man said:
If you don't want to go through the work of making the video only to have it blocked, you could always upload a test video. Just upload the audio on its own and see what happens. You can keep it unlisted so it won't be visible to others.

Not a bad idea. Thanks. The YouTube music library is actually pretty good. But what I just discovered today is that if you search YouTube for composers you like in that library, you’ll find tons of additional music that isn’t listed in the library for some reason. So I’m currently searching for something suitably Mordor that I can just use without worry.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Correct me if I'm wrong... but I don't think your YT account gets a strike anymore for using copyrighted material. It's just either allowed up, blocked in some areas, blocked worldwide, or monetized by the owner, depending on the algorithm and attitude of the copyright holder. It's only if you manually dispute the block (when the block was correct) that you can be penalized. So try uploading it with the shore music you wanted, if it's blocked, delete the video and replace it with one with different music. If it's not blocked and monetised, great your video is the way you want it and some ad revenue for Shore.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
Correct me if I'm wrong... but I don't think your YT account gets a strike anymore for using copyrighted material. It's just either allowed up, blocked in some areas, blocked worldwide, or monetized by the owner, depending on the algorithm and attitude of the copyright holder. It's only if you manually dispute the block (when the block was correct) that you can be penalized. So try uploading it with the shore music you wanted, if it's blocked, delete the video and replace it with one with different music. If it's not blocked and monetised, great your video is the way you want it and some ad revenue for Shore.

You’re right of course. But I just ended up using music from the YouTube Library. It’s not Mordor, but I think it’s suitably dramatic.

Starts at 3:50:

Their videos usually get only around 100 views* and we make them in about an hour or so in iMovie. I just decided to go simple.

*it’s really just family and friends even though the kids aspire to be just like their favorite Minecraft YouTubers complete with merch store. :p

M4_

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:

Yes, for 95% of situations. But if you upload a leaked song or some type of media that you shouldn’t have access to, they can and sometimes will instantly strike you. Might have had this happen to me.. Nothing to worry about for you all who are uploading official material. But it should be known youtube still does occasionally strike for simply uploading something. Very uncommon though.

Top Bottom