• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

music fanedits

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've recently done an edit of Peter Gabriel's "Not One of Us" - partly to make it fit the credits on my "The Hidden" edit, partly to make it slightly less trippy and just tighten up the structure. 

Being a listener of progressive rock, it's not uncommon to come across a 30 minute epic that's a little too indulgent. I've often thought of editing some down, but not gotten around to it yet. 

I know that there are a few fan-edits of Yes' Topographic Oceans on YouTube, though none really did it for me. Steven Wilson of Porcupine Tree, who remixes a lot of classic albums, did his own cut of that album as well.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
As far as I know, there isn’t a version of the Beatles song Let It Be that does away with the Phil Spector wall of sound production like on the Naked album, but still retains the grittier guitar solo featured on the Let It Be album.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I’d like to see a trimmed version of Pink Floyd’s Echoes. I love the song but there is too much of the out there stuff in there for me to put it on on the regular at 23:31.

e65.gif

I’d like to see a version that runs, say 7-8 minutes. There definitely seems to be attempts that I’ll check. Not sure if there was ever anything official.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've done some for incubus songs years ago. It's mostly to remove some content, but others are to shorten up songs or remove some musical bits that I didn't care for. Some songs I've messed with:
Make Yourself
Nowhere Fast
The Warmth
While All the Vultures Feed
A Midnight Swim
Pendulous Threads
Light Grenades
Megalomaniac
Also did some Third Eye Blind songs to shorten them up and remove portions of songs that I didn't care for. Red Summer Son is one of my favorite by then, but the screaming portion just sounds terrible vocally and musically so I removed it. I'll try to upload some examples if anyone is interested.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I’d like to see a trimmed version of Pink Floyd’s Echoes. I love the song but there is too much of the out there stuff in there for me to put it on on the regular at 23:31.

e65.gif

I’d like to see a version that runs, say 7-8 minutes. There definitely seems to be attempts that I’ll check. Not sure if there was ever anything official.
The two attempts at this I’ve heard so far cut too much (one cuts directly to the last verse leaving out the entirety of the long middle section) and the cuts are not done well. It might require getting a hold of the stems to do it properly.

Edit: the third one I listened to is the best but it’s still 14 minutes. I’d still like to get it under 10 minutes. Maybe I’ll take a crack at it myself.

Last edited:

henzINNIT

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
There's a Muse song that I've tinkered with many, many times. I fell in love with a live demo, only for it to appear on the next album stripped of a lot of its charm. Thanks to a guitar hero game, there are stems of a sort: seperate guitar, bass, and a drums/synth/vocal track. I've make a few different versions, but never quite been satisfied. Proper stems would have been great of course, and I'd need to conjure some extra guitar noodling to get more of the live version in there. One day perhaps.

The two attempts at this I’ve heard so far cut too much (one cuts directly to the last verse leaving out the entirety of the long middle section) and the cuts are not done well. It might require getting a hold of the stems to do it properly.

Edit: the third one I listened to is the best but it’s still 14 minutes. I’d still like to get it under 10 minutes. Maybe I’ll take a crack at it myself.

I had a quick look out of curiosity. It's 23 mins on Meddle, but the version on the 'best of' album is 16. You could get it down further I'm sure, but even cutting all of the middle section would make it over 10.

VarsityEditor

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Speaking of Pink Floyd, during lockdown in 2020 I made a 3 hour long mix of PF instrumentals, with the songs fading/merging into one another. I'm very proud of it and am happy to share the link with Floyd fans who might be interested (it's actually hosted publicly on a tube site). The two halves of Echoes feature at different times.

Red41804

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've recently done a "what if" album, if the progressive rock band Yes made another album with their Relayer keyboarder, Patrick Moraz in 1975-76, inspired by this edit on youtube below and expanding on the songs and changing up some things here are there.

Top Bottom