• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Mulholland Drive: The Pilot

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
As most David Lynch fans know, Mulholland Drive started off as television pilot for ABC that was ultimately rejected. Because of this no official version has ever seen the light of day. Lynch has even stated if there were a way to destroy all the VHS copies out there he would.

From a historical standpoint, I felt the pilot of Mulholland Drive was important to preserve to see the genesis of, in my opinion, one of the best and most important films of all time. Because of that I am working to reconstruct it utilizing the material available on the Blu-Ray version. There are a few scenes in the pilot not available on any officially released version of the film. Because of that I will not be including them in the fanedit. Alternate shots will be used instead.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Awesome, very much looking forward to this. Although you will be in the FE Hall of Shame for cutting out great nudity.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm looking forward to this. I am a huge Lynch fan but recognize his work is not consistent. I thought MD was great right up until the moment you can plainly tell is the change from series to film. I did not think the film version worked and have often wondered how great the series might have been.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Edit released and thread Moved.

This project sounds great.

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
the kiss is awesome. one of the best things in the history of film.

theslime

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Which pilot are you trying to preserve? The leaked 90 minutes pilot is IMHO pretty bad, a butchered version of the original 125 minute pilot. We know it was butchered not just because Lynch says so, but because most of the scenes got restored after he turned it into a movie, and the scenes were glorious. The main draw with the leaked pilot is the ending with the bum (without the blue box and the old couple), but without the previous Winkie's scene, it's completely pointless. Most of the other intriguing moments from the script are also missing (like the neighbours and the boy with the metal crutches). And most glaringly, it omits the scripted character payoff/conclusion of the pilot for Rita and Betty (in the roof garden).

Not knocking the effort here, it'd be really nice to see a better-looking version of a pilot-like chain of events that stops before the Silencio segments. Do you intend to do some trickery to the other Bum scene to recreate the original ending in bluray quality?

Btw, the main missing piece of the Mulholland dr. production for me is what the Silencio segment looked like while it was still a closed ending. Was it ever finished and edited? Are the scenes used in the movie all there is? We know it was shot months after shooting for the pilot ended, but months before Lynch wrote the Diane/Camilla parts and shot more scenes. Is there a complete closed ending in an ABC vault somewhere? The mind boggles.

Gatos

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Neglify said:
Although you will be in the FE Hall of Shame for cutting out great nudity.

I hold the top spot. *takes a bow*

Declan1974

Reaction score
Trophy Points
theslime said:
Which pilot are you trying to preserve? The leaked 90 minutes pilot is IMHO pretty bad, a butchered version of the original 125 minute pilot. We know it was butchered not just because Lynch says so, but because most of the scenes got restored after he turned it into a movie, and the scenes were glorious. The main draw with the leaked pilot is the ending with the bum (without the blue box and the old couple), but without the previous Winkie's scene, it's completely pointless. Most of the other intriguing moments from the script are also missing (like the neighbours and the boy with the metal crutches). And most glaringly, it omits the scripted character payoff/conclusion of the pilot for Rita and Betty (in the roof garden).

Not knocking the effort here, it'd be really nice to see a better-looking version of a pilot-like chain of events that stops before the Silencio segments. Do you intend to do some trickery to the other Bum scene to recreate the original ending in bluray quality?

Btw, the main missing piece of the Mulholland dr. production for me is what the Silencio segment looked like while it was still a closed ending. Was it ever finished and edited? Are the scenes used in the movie all there is? We know it was shot months after shooting for the pilot ended, but months before Lynch wrote the Diane/Camilla parts and shot more scenes. Is there a complete closed ending in an ABC vault somewhere? The mind boggles.
Did the 125 minute pilot never leak?

Top Bottom