• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

MPEG Streamclip Dimension Confusion

RustyRaygun

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ok, so I have everything rendering fine, FCP is liking the files I make. So I guess I have the settings right. But then I realized that my edited version wasn't the same dimensions as when I played the original DVD. According to MPEG Streamclip's stream info, the dvd is 720 x 480. But when I have the produced quicktime file open next to a dvd player, the dvd is noticeably wider. I'm suspecting I should really be making 854 x 480 (16:9).

Any thoughts? Should I render into 720 x 480 (DV-NTSC) or 854 x 480 (16:9)?

Here's screenshots to help:

http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/6569/picture10qc.png
http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/6391/picture11vj.png

Thank goodness I had only edited about 20 min when I noticed this.

zeppelinrox

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm not an expert and I'm no mac guy, but it seems that its encoded properly but you need to specify somewhere the Display Aspect Ratio (DAR) or select "Anamorphic" somewhere so that a player will it stretche it out wider on playback.

AvP

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
854 x 480 is true NTSC most players read it as 720 x 480.

RustyRaygun

Reaction score
Trophy Points
So what does that mean? Which dimensions do I need to export the footage in and edit in?

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
if you want it for DVD, it has to be 720x480. you just need to set an anamorphic flag, that way the DVD player will play it at the proper aspect ratio (which would be 854x480)

RustyRaygun

Reaction score
Trophy Points
ThrowgnCpr said:
if you want it for DVD, it has to be 720x480. you just need to set an anamorphic flag, that way the DVD player will play it at the proper aspect ratio (which would be 854x480)

Is this "anamorphic flag" in MPEG Streamclip or in Final Cut Pro?

Remixed by Jorge

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
import your clip into FCP.
right click on clip.
select "'item properties> format".
Confirm "anamorphic" is checked.
If not, click to add the check.
You can also do the same to the sequence and leave the clip untouched.

RustyRaygun

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks, KillBill! If I had known you were around I would've asked you directly. I remember you helping me before the hiatus.

Hopefully this'll solve my technical problems for now.

Top Bottom