• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

mp4 files on a USB TV

gugliemo

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Evening all, I'm trying to run video files on a second hand USB TV, a Grundig GU19WDVDT. Avi files play but are too big to be feasible, virtually no mp4 files do despite the TV saying both mp4 and avi should play. I figure it's a codec issue, after playing around for hours I've found that changing for codec from .264 (which plays audio but not video) to .xvid shows the video but doesn't play sound. Googling hasn't helped, has anybody solved this before? Thanks

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I believe others have said the files need to be less than 4gb in size to play on a tv from a usb stick.TV's might not support drives that are more than that. It also sounds like you have incompatible formats. It might be that you can't play 5.1 on the tv, or a certain file type ac3 vs acc vs pcm vs mp3, etc.

I did a search and found this in the manual Page 36 and it looks like after starting there and going a few pages forward that the files should be in MPEG-4.

Not sure if any of that is anything beyond what you've stated or have found.

gugliemo

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah some mp4 files will play but the vast majority won't, none of them are over 4gb. Avi files play but that's not a pleasant format to use, way too large and slow to render. Just wondered if there was a way of finding out what it is that makes the like 1% of mp4 files which play actually do so. Like what's the most universal codec or something?

Belatriss

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I don't think there is a universal codec, rather a statistical error.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I believe each tv has it's own unique compatiblities

Top Bottom