• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Movies That Should Have A Sequel (inspired by SonofSinbad's thread)

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Duragizer said:
But there was a sequel.

clwcStS.gif

No! Damn you Duragizer, I'm powerless to resist your facts.

Heavisyde

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
  • Mulholland Drive. Might've had a "sequel" had it been a TV series.
  • Braveheart. Following Robert the Bruce.
  • Apocalypto. Covering the Spanish invasions.
  • Snowpiercer. This got a TV series sequel I think.
  • Cast Away. Tom Hanks returns to the island to retrieve Wilson.
  • Leon The Professional. Following a grown up Mathilde.
  • War for the Planet of the Apes. This was released recently (2017), so hopefully they follow it up rather than rebooting it. I'd like to seem them eventually link up with Planet of the Apes (1968).
  • Alien: Covenant. Again, released in 2017, so it's too soon to say, but hopefully Ridley Scott logically connects Covenant to the original Alien. Might take more than 1 film though.
  • Troy. It's a massive shame they didn't do an Odyssey film with Sean Bean.
  • The Godfather: Part II. Had they done Part III within a few years of II it might've been a lot more interesting.
  • The Witch. This one worked well as a standalone, although I wouldn't mind seeing what's going on in the coven.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
  • Cast Away. Tom Hanks returns to the island to retrieve Wilson.
I believe he's actually lost at sea.

I'd love to see a continuation......prequel.......temporal pincer....sequal to Tenet.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Paul W. S. Anderson's recent Monster Hunter film needs a sequel. Unfortunately the movie has bad reviews and I don't believe it made much money, which is a real shame. It's no masterpiece, but it's a lot of fun, and the cgi is phenomenal. My only real gripe is the editing, the same constant quick cuts that his Alien vs Predator suffered from, as well as plenty of other modern action movies. I'm not a fan of the games, so maybe it sucks in that regard, but on its own I highly recommend it.
Anyways, it ends with strong sequel bait, pretty similar to his Mortal Kombat really. Unlike Mortal Kombat though, I don't realistically see this getting a sequel. I mean, I hear bad things about his Resident Evil movies yet they keep getting sequels, but those have their fans such as my mother. This doesn't have the same casual moviegoer appeal, because it wasn't advertised well enough and I'm sure it's not on anyone's radar.

DroopyMcCool

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I believe Travis Knight should continue his transformers universe.

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Paul W. S. Anderson's .... I mean, I hear bad things about his Resident Evil movies yet they keep getting sequels
He was on a real run up until Alien vs Predator. He was great at making wacky budget films that were far better than they should have been. The first Resident Evil is really a different movie than the others, and fits with that. I'd recommend it highly, and you never need to watch the others.

• Braveheart. Following Robert the Bruce.
This happened. Angus Macfadyen campaigned hard for it for yeaaaars, and he finally got it made in 2019. It landed with a thud.

• Snowpiercer. This got a TV series sequel I think.
This also happened. I'm a big fan of the first one, but early trailers convinced me this Netflix series was not going to tap into what I liked about it. At all.

• Leon The Professional. Following a grown up Mathilde.
This also also happened. It's called Colombiana. Luc Besson wrote it and handed it off to his protege Olivier Megaton to direct. Besson tried for a year or two to get Natalie Portman on board, but the Time's Up movement hit very differently in France and the US. In the US, a lot of men who even suggested that there were different levels of guilt and not every offender should be automatically canceled were immediately facing calls to be canceled. (Matt Damon, Alec Baldwin, etc.)
In France, over 100 actresses wrote an open letter to the media saying to chill the fuck out with the #MeToo accusations. As one of the lead speakers of the movement, Portman felt reprising a role that she had grown uncomfortable with was a bad move at the time. So Besson changed the names of everyone in the script and recast the actors. But if you watch Leon and Colombiana back-to-back, it's obvious which characters are which. It's a direct sequel. Unfortunately, Megaton isn't a very good director, so the movie is just okay, despite Zoe Saldana being excellent in it.

I'd love to see a continuation......prequel.......temporal pincer....sequal to Tenet.
Me too! I wrote about this a lot in my recent review on Letterboxd.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
He was on a real run up until Alien vs Predator. He was great at making wacky budget films that were far better than they should have been. The first Resident Evil is really a different movie than the others, and fits with that. I'd recommend it highly, and you never need to watch the others.
I actually love Alien vs Predator to be honest. Chances are that I'd enjoy all of the Resident Evil movies. Been meaning to check them out.

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^Wow, where did you see that!? I've been looking for it for years, but all I found was some movie about humans that had a few aliens and predators in it a little bit. ;)

lapis molari

Better edits through feedback.
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
+1 for @bionicbob 's suggestion for The Shadow. A Shadow cinematic universe could have been awesome, with Doc Savage joining the party.

The Rocketeer. Imagine a sequel where Cliff grows in confidence to do justice to a deliberate superhero rather than merely an accidental one. Peevy, reinvigorated from working with Howard Hughes, snaps out of the morose funk he's been in since his 1932 date with Flora. Jenny does a photo-shoot in New York (nudge nudge, wink wink, know what I mean?). And The Rocketeer can have a cross-over into the Shadow universe!

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^This pulp hero crossover universe sounds like a comic Alan Moore would write. (Although Warren Ellis did kind of write this into an arc of Planetary already...)
Edit: I attached a panel of the assembled pulp heroes from that Planetary story, if anyone's curious:
tumblr_mkci0zlAgn1qffqjqo1_500.jpg

For anyone who is familiar with pulp heroes: these guys are based on Fu Manchu, Tarzan, The Shadow, G-8, Operator No. 5 and Tom Swift. Axel Brass himself is based on Doc Clark Savage, Jr.

Last edited:

Racerx1969

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Rocketeer, Doc Savage, The Shadow. I'm up for sequels to any of those.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sorry but none of you have explained how the plots of these proposed sequels would be "inspired by SonofSinbad's thread". Stay on topic.

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
@TM2YC I think @Junglist Paja was just trying to give credit since Son of Sinbad has a thread called "Movies That Should Never Have Had a Sequel". This thread is meant to be the counterpoint to that, unless I'm wrong?

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Man, I stared at that for the longest time thinking "Is this sarcasm? Is it? Is it?! Tell me brother, because I don't know!"

Ryantology

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I would love a sequel to Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon. Just thought it was super fun and Nathan Baesel was pretty brilliant. I know they were trying to crowdfund for a while and did a comic instead but I’d love to see it actually play out on screen.

Top Bottom