• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Movies That Never Should Have Had A Sequel

GeekFanedits

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
The Terminator

yoTXJy1.gif

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ That still makes me laugh :D

TVs Frink said:
TM2YC said:
The Terminator

You shut your mouth.

It'] [quote="TM2YC said:
The Terminator

Can you still ban members of staff ? ;)
[/quote]

...but I was only half joking.  @"TMBTM" explained it succinctly later in the thread:

TM2YC said:
TMBTM said:
The Terminator is a perfect loop story where the goal is not to change the future but to make it happen the way it should be (the whole story itself implies that nothing can be changed) . So as soon as you start to play with different timelines, you're fucked, because it is supposed to be a serious movie, not a a BTTF where you can do anything just for the fun of it.

Exactly. The problem is that Terminator 2 is so damn good that we all just happily ignore that it ruins the whole concept.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Apparently Warriors of Virtue has a sequel....

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I remembered loving Warriors of Virtue as a kid in the '90s. I gave it a rewatch a year or two ago. Bad idea. Nostalgia was not enough to save this movie. I can't even imagine how bad the sequel is.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
asterixsmeagol said:
I remembered loving Warriors of Virtue as a kid in the '90s. I gave it a rewatch a year or two ago. Bad idea. Nostalgia was not enough to save this movie. I can't even imagine how bad the sequel is.

I showed some clips to the genetic one-offs and noticed that Elysia is Marley Shelton, the one and only Wendy Peffercorn. I'm surprised I never noticed that as a kid. I guess I didn't squint enough at the tv ;)

gortat

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I remember the Nostalgia Critic's review. It was like some tmnt ripoff. The villain was totally looney-tuney XD

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Like, they shouldn't have made Cars 3? Or they should never have made a sequel to Cars in the first place?

It'sOnRandom

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Some corkers in that list but i'd switch a few up....Happy Mondays Bummed instead of Pills n Thrills, Spiritualized - Lazer Guided Melodies instead of Ladies & Gentleman, PJ Harvey Dry instead of Stories in the city. I'm excited for you - to go back and listen to some of these albums again for the first time would be so cool. I have a lot of memories piled up in a lot of these albums in that list. Great to see albums like John Grant Queen of Denmark and Fever Ray in the 1047

Like, they shouldn't have made Cars 3? Or they should never have made a sequel to Cars in the first place?

Cars shouldn't exit.

Murikamir

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gettysburg. God's and Generals may not be an official sequel, but is has to do with the same events, some same actors, and it's just awful (see Atun Shei's video if you want proof)

Possessed

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Independence Day. I mean hell even the original was only barely okay.

Jurassic Park.

George of the Jungle.

The Woman in Black.

Can good sequels with bad 3rd installments count? Spider-Man 2.
Batman Returns.

If only my parents were movies I'd have more to add...

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Matrix

While the second was (sort of) watchable, the sheer amount of pretentious codswallop the sequels indulged in sully the original somewhat for me. If they had been made by different directors I could look at them as more separate entities but the Wachowski's completely blew it with the sequels, I don't think any amount of fan editing could ever make them into worthy sequels.
This post has aged well.

MusicEd921

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Guns of Navarone. Saw it recently and really liked it (and may be tinkering with it as a fan edit later), but I could barely get through the first 20 minutes of Force 10. If you can’t get the same actors, maybe change the characters then? The new actors brought something COMPLETELY different and bordering on hokey to the sequel.

Possessed

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ooh how about a couple of westerns.

The John Wayne version of True Grit. It wasn't perfection but it was pretty good and based on a book. Then they just made a sequel called Rooster Cogburn (the name of the main character) and while it wasn't awful it wasn't good either and had no purpose other than to be full of John Wayne.

Lonesome Dove. Technically a mini series but these days it's basically regarded as a long multi part movie. I get that this was just the first adaptation of a series of books... so maybe this falls more into the category of "films that could have had sequels but were bad"... but the adaptations of the other books were not good and were clearly just made to ape the success of the first one.

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I guess for me there's an important distinction between "should never have HAD a sequel" and "had a bad sequel". Like, I think the world of TRON is a rich one and a good sequel could be made for it. So even though it had a bad sequel, I wouldn't suggest it for this list.

OTOH, I can see an argument for The Terminator. Even though we got a good sequel, it opens up a can of worms for how the time travel of this world works. The first film is a complete story, a closed loop with a poetic resolution. You could maybe argue that the sequel defied the odds, because we never should have had one, but it worked.

Possessed

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah there is a difference between a movie that could have had sequels but they turned out poorly and movies that shouldn't have had them. I think it's already been discussed in this thread actually

Top Bottom