• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Movies that don't quite live up to their amazing Soundtracks

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just like the title says, this thread is for sharing movies that don't quite live up to their great soundtracks. We aren't going to agree, and that's good. Please do not inundate this thread with defending movies that you like that others don't. It's not the point. Just share what you think are terrible movies with great soundtracks.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Alice in Wonderland
I don't think I ever really was able to make it through this movie, but I've listened to the soundtrack, particularly Alice's Theme countless times.

Attack of the Clones
I stopped going to the cinema for years after seeing this movie. I've never stopped listening to Across the Stars though :)

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Dracula 2000, I haven't watched it, but I've heard it's awful. However, I have a desire to see it because of some of the songs on its soundtrack that I like.

Apparently my mother used to absolutely love the Crow City of Angels soundtrack. I own a copy that I bought at a flea market, I haven't listened to it yet or watched the movie.

I'm not a fan of The Lion King, but I Just Can't Wait to be King is catchy.

One of the Dragon Ball Z movies, Lord Slug, features Stupify by Disturbed, but I've I've heard that the movie itself isn't great.

Lastly, I love Beginning is the End is the Beginning from the Batman and Robin Robin soundtrack, but I'm not a fan of the movie.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Great soundtracks are often what makes movies good, so it's difficult to think of examples, however...

The swashbuckling score for the flawed 'Waterworld' is great. The long zoom out shots at 01.23 in this clip are awesome with the Mariner's hero theme (not sure if it has a name):

Arguably the score works against the film because the Mariner is not the good Errol Flynn hero the music implies but kind of an insular asshole loner.

John Barry's excellent score fails for similar reasons in the very bad 'Howard the Duck', he ain't James bond:

The Stallone Judge Dredd film is a crime against humanity with a terrific militaristic score:

Even the music composed for the trailer is awesome (and re-used in many other trailers for other 90s movies):

That ^ trailer music would sell you on any movie :D .

lapis molari

Better edits through feedback.
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
@"TM2YC" , thanks for sharing. I like Silvestri's score for Judge Dredd. I didn't know Goldsmith was initially on the project but left, with only his trailer score being used.

lapis molari

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
1492: Conquest of Paradise.
Columbus goes to America. Solid actors and gorgeous cinematography do not save this story from being a stinker. In part disappointing because such a cast raises my expectations.
The music by Vangelis is mesmerizing. Alternately beautiful, haunting, stirring. After his groundbreaking work in the 80s, he still manages to raise his game.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
A few more I thought of...

'Days of Thunder' isn't terrible but it's often a silly, cliched and cheesy film that I personally love because it's elevated by maybe the greatest ever driving-movie score by Hans Zimmer. Listening to 'The Last Race' on your car stereo makes sticking to the speed limit difficult :D :

'Masters of the Universe' is of course one the best films ever made but since nobody else seems prepared to admit that I guess it qualifies as terrible. The shameless Superman ripoff score is a treat:

'Heaven's Gate' has a score I probably listen to more often than any other. Bluegrass folk guitar gypsy gorgeousness:

lapis molari

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Coccoon: The Return
A very weak sequel to a fantastic movie.
James Horner improves on the already excellent score from Part 1.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
'Masters of the Universe' is of course one the best films ever made but since nobody else seems prepared to admit that I guess it qualifies as terrible. The shameless Superman ripoff score is a treat:

Okay, I'm glad I'm not the only one to realize the similarities to the Superman score. It is pretty enjoyable, and I guess having a passable ripoff is better than an outright bad original sound.
And I agree that it's one of the best films ever made.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The phrase...

"James Horner did an amazing score for > insert name of terrible film <"

...is probably going to appear a lot in this thread :D .

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Stargate isn't a terrible movie by any means, but its not nearly so good that it deserves David Arnold's truly epic score. And epic it truly is.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Changed up the title and intention of the thread based on the great posts. Now it's simply about sharing movies that don't quite live up to their soundtracks.

Flubly

Reaction score
Trophy Points

Used to watch this religiously as a kid, had a pretty big gap, popped in the dvd back in college and...woof. Nostalgia did not help this one out. Soundtrack is great, though.

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
lapis molari said:
1492: Conquest of Paradise.

You beat me to it. :)

Alexander (2004) has another great Vangelis score, one that's not matched by the film in which it features.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Watchmen is one of my favorite movies, but a lot of people dislike it. It's soundtrack is great though, and full of great songs. I have a custom playlist made with all the songs featured as well as songs from the trailers, and I think there were a few other related songs. Once again, I love Beginning is the End is the Beginning, which is featured in one of the trailers.

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I think the Elliot Goldenthal Batman theme is pretty cool. Nowhere near Zimmer or Elfman, but still good.

Dinosaur - James Newton Howard (The entirety of this phenomenal intro scene doesn't live up to the rest of the movie)

Fantastic Four - John Ottman

Batman v Superman

Pirates of the Caribbean (last three films)

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Masirimso17 said:
I think the Elliot Goldenthal Batman theme is pretty cool. Nowhere near Zimmer or Elfman, but still good.

Nowhere near Elfman, certainly.

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Duragizer said:
Masirimso17 said:

Nowhere near Elfman, certainly.

Yeah. Zimmer's Dark Knight theme is my favorite though.

And this movie totally lives up to its soundtrack.

EDIT: Spider-Man 3's soundtrack is amazing. The movie's okay at best though.

Notice that the Venom theme here is the opposite of Spider-Man's theme:

And talk about a movie not living up to one scene!

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
"Under The Cherry Moon" is garbage cinema.

"Parade" is superbly sublime.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Lost in Space
The movie had a pretty good asthetic, but was marred by technological cgi issues, pacing and so so line delivery. Bruce Broughton's score is pretty fabulous.

Top Bottom