• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

Most Transformative Edits?

That depends on where you draw the line between "seriously transformed" and "slimmed down" I guess. I've done somewhere around 100 edits and about half of them are "4" on my 1-4 scale of significant changes from the original, which would generally be classed here as fanmix. I think "The Batman" is the only one I'd describe as seriously transformed - I took the movie and trimmed it down and then mixed it with a trimmed version of Batman Begins to get rid of gaunt-loner-Bruce. Basically I used the stadium roof as a jumping-off point for Bruce to go on a journey of reflection and self-discovery, dropping the jail part at the start of Batman Begins and going straight from the stadium to the monastery climb.

I have others I'd class as transformative, but only to the level of changing the ending and plot somewhat, not completely diverging into an entirely different film. Here are a handful of descriptions of some of the other fanmix type edits:

James Bond
This heavily cuts the Daniel Craig films together into a single movie with a Spectre-focused plot arc. It throws most of No Time To Die in the trash, there's a separate edit that uses the good parts of that film. It also disposes of all the Bond girls except for Vesper Lynd, Severine, and Madeleine to streamline the film for the shorter time and fit the plot arc. Action sequences were pared down as well, disposing of the airport terrorist, almost all of QOS, Moneypenny sniper scene and the following bond injury drama, Mexico city, Hoffler Klinik chase, and the C intelligence network drama.

This keeps a decent balance of action and drama without feeling like there's a quota of action sequences, and without bloating the runtime with drama that doesn't fit the Spectre arc. Vesper, Mr White, and Blofeld storylines are more coherent since they're no longer fragmented across multiple films with hours of unrelated filler in between.

Lord of the Rings
This turns the LOTR film series into a 5 episode mini-series, using parts of the Hobbit series as backstory. It's heavily cut, removing Gollum, the mad kings, and some other side plots, focusing on the parallel journeys of the party trying to defeat Sauron.

It maintains the epic pace of the adventure, while trimming enough content that the slower than normal speed of the narrative doesn't seem to drag, especially when repackaged into more digestible hour segments at natural stopping points in story.

Resident Evil
Cleaned up filler material in earlier movies and cut large chunks in the later ones to make a coherent overarching story that doesn't seem ludicrous. The clone aspect was cut along with any other superpowers, taming the series into a more believable action-scifi romp that doesn't go off the rails half way through. (This essentially makes RE a trilogy again, with the first movie unedited, and two 2-hour fan-edit films created from the rest of the franchise, ending with a satisfying and non-open ending)

Severance (2022 TV series)
Removed most of the scenes spent out of the office that interrupted the pace and tone of the work segments. This also made the tone more suspenseful and less depressing overall, the "real life" segments have a tendency to be a bit morose. Also streamlined the office to keep the focus on Mark and Helly, and reduce the presence of Irving and many of the management staff characters. The new plot arc requires a lot less suspension of disbelief since many of the "mysterious" crazy side plots are removed in favor of a mysterious tone rather than manufactured mysteries.

Westworld
Adjusts the opening to give a truer sense of the show, rather than starting out as a western for most of the first episode. Makes the storylines, especially in the second season, less fragmented. Reduces the emphasis on Dolores and puts her on equal footing with Maeve and other main characters. Removes most of the third season with the GTA plot and uses select scenes with Maeve and Dolores to wrap up the story, changing the ending substantially.

You're the Worst
This edit strips out most of the side character scenes, along with their silly comedy, making a dark comedy even darker. It keeps a bit of the sarcastic and absurd humor, and has some lighthearted moments as well, but is ultimately much less of a comedy and more of a dark drama with comedic moments at times. It takes the essence of what makes the original great and condenses it into a real gut punch without the hollywood sugar.

The Mentalist and Revenge edits were also substantial rewrites to the way the series' ended, but the edits themselves stayed relatively true to the original tone, although substantially cut down and rearranged from the originals. Typically I find I end up with a series that's about half the length of the original show, without specifically aiming for a particular length.

And a couple other "obvious" transformations:

The Grinch
Removed the "realistic" extra plots (Grinch as teased orphan, Cindy Lou's single mother) inserted in this remake, bringing it back in line with the original animation.

Paper Man
This removes the imaginary friend completely
Wow! Sounds like a lot of good stuff. Yet none are listed on IFDB?

Wow! Sounds like a lot of good stuff. Yet none are listed on IFDB?
I just signed up to chat mostly, there aren't too many places to talk about fanediting. Plus I'd been lurking for a while and seen people complaining how much time it took to subtitle stuff or make foreign subs, and I made a tool that does that for you, so I figured I'd post it in case anyone wanted it.

If you do want one of my edits though they're all freely available in project form on bestedit.net but I only release the projects so it's a bit of assembly required. If you try rendering one out I recommend Premiere Pro but they load into Davinci Resolve reasonably well too, there are just a couple features it doesn't support.

Well IFDB is just a list, not a release method. I just prefer to be able to publicly release them without having to worry about takedown notices and copyright issues. I'm not opposed to them being listed on IFDB, that just wasn't my reason for making them, and I doubt many people here are interested in them unless I distribute the movie or show in video form.

Back
Top Bottom