• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Morrigan Presents Batman Forever

Another day, another version of this scene. Some work with After Effects has gotten this scene (or more specifically, the monitor in the Batmobile) much closer to where I want it. Although, I am probably at least one more revision away from including this in the final cut. So here's the current version - I am probably going to desaturate the colours in the map a little, I think it's still a little too bright, but I could use some fresh eyes on it.

(password: fanedit.org)

Definitely getting there. The map screen is very bright and the background is very dark so the two are really fighting in that shot but the new text looks good. Perhaps try reducing the luminance on the map and increasing the gamma of the background footage. 1.2 is my go to gamma increase to lighten up pictures "naturally".

Malthus said:
Definitely getting there. The map screen is very bright and the background is very dark so the two are really fighting in that shot but the new text looks good. Perhaps try reducing the luminance on the map and increasing the gamma of the background footage. 1.2 is my go to gamma increase to lighten up pictures "naturally".

I just dived in to tweak the levels, and accidentally made this when I adjusted the wrong levels, which is might actually work best of all.

batmonitor.png

What a happy accident. I would still try and lighten the background as it is very dark but yeah this works

Okay! The Beauty and the Bat scene is about where I want it to be, and I am currently rendering out my first version of the final assembled cut for previews, which I should hopefully be able to send out before the weekend. I am wholly anticipating another round of revisions before this becomes a ready-to-submit edit, but I am feeling good about where it's at for now.

EDIT: On a sidenote, I'm starting to question whether 'Schumacher Extended Edition' is the most representative title for this particular edit. I chose the name as a reference to the restored sequence of events and the fact that I wasn't trying to 'Burton-ise' the movie, and it made sense at the time. But now there's some discussion about the mythical 'Schumacher cut' of Batman Forever, and I certainly don't intend to pass this off as something it's not. I'm also not sure if this counts as an Extended Edition, by the definition used by IFDB, because I haven't simply extended the film, but edited the chronology some as well.

All this to say, if you like the subtitle as is, let me know. If you have any suggestions on a better one, or just don't think it's descriptive enough, let me know that as well. I'll be mulling it over while I wait for my various renders, encodes, and uploads.

morrigan said:
All this to say, if you like the subtitle as is, let me know. If you have any suggestions on a better one, or just don't think it's descriptive enough, let me know that as well. I'll be mulling it over while I wait for my various renders, encodes, and uploads.

I think you're reasoning behind possibly changing the edit's subtitle is sound, here are some suggested alternatives:

Batman Forever?
Batman Forever - Unseen
Batman Forever - Enigma
Batman Forever - A different Puzzle
Batman Forever - A New Solution
Morrigan Presents - Batman Forever

Schumacher +
Beauty And The Bat

Preview render is ready to go, and sent out to my previewers (big thanks to all of you!) I have just finished watching it myself, and I already have revisions in mind, but I will work with my preview audience to make sure the edit is the best it can be before I call it finished. I am keen to get some feedback before I dive back in for revisions, and it's nice to just have it in front of other people after working on it for a while.

Malthus said:
I think you're reasoning behind possibly changing the edit's subtitle is sound, here are some suggested alternatives:

Batman Forever?
Batman Forever - Unseen
Batman Forever - Enigma
Batman Forever - A different Puzzle
Batman Forever - A New Solution
Morrigan Presents - Batman Forever

Zarius said:
Schumacher +
Beauty And The Bat

Thanks for the suggestions! I am leaning toward Morrigan Presents - Batman Forever, so thanks for that suggestion especially. I like the simplicity, and it feels more accurate to call this my personal interpretation of the original idea, rather than anything else.

WhatTheActualMark said:
I'm wondering if you are planning to credit Bill Finger's name in the edit.

If I end up doing my own end credits sequence, I will certainly be correcting this particular oversight - but my own credits sequence is going to be one of the last things I do, and may be a little beyond my abilities for now.

Okay! Previews are out and I already have some feedback to work with. I won't pull the trigger on the 'final cut' before I have taken into account feedback from all my previewers, but there are two big things I felt like I could address right off the bat.

Firstly, the placement of the newscast deleted scene was way too jarring after its previous scene, and putting it right next to the rest of the post-subway Batcave scene really made the difference in quality quite obvious - it also cut out quite abruptly, and the audio balance was off. In the interests of addressing those issues, I've rearranged the surrounding scenes thusly as well as revising the audio mix. I like the way it sits now, but I am open to feedback as always.

Secondly, the Red Book scene cut in really abruptly in the preview cut, so I massaged that transition a bit. Whilst doing so, it occurred to me that the whole sequence could benefit from further rearranging the surrounding scenes to place the Red Book scene after we cut away from Bruce's head injury, with two options for the placement of the question mark Batsignal scene. The previews below show the three versions I've worked out - I'd love some feedback on what works best.

Red Book 1: Original placement, smoother transition.

Red Book 2: New placement, option A.

Red Book 3: New placement, option B.

Minor differences in each, but I want to get the placement right to use this scene to its full potential.

@"morrigan" , as far as option B on the red book goes, I think it's interesting how it's the villain that reassures the audience that Bruce will be back on his feet and be able to walk into his trap, when the very next scene is meant to make us feel uncertain as to whether or not Bruce can recover in time. I mean, sure, as audiences we're expecting him to do that, but it's fun in knowing just how he will. Riddler's boast works in the theatrical cut, because Bruce IS on his feet by then without any trauma to show for it,  but here with the red book scene added it kind of cuts out the tension and undermines potential audience apprehension

Zarius said:
@"morrigan" , as far as option B on the red book goes, I think it's interesting how it's the villain that reassures the audience that Bruce will be back on his feet and be able to walk into his trap, when the very next scene is meant to make us feel uncertain as to whether or not Bruce can recover in time. I mean, sure, as audiences we're expecting him to do that, but it's fun in knowing just how he will. Riddler's boast works in the theatrical cut, because Bruce IS on his feet by then without any trauma to show for it,  but here with the red book scene added it kind of cuts out the tension and undermines potential audience apprehension

I appreciate that feedback, you're totally right about the narrative tension there. I have prepared one final option to split up Bruce waking up and the Red Book scene, but I'll revert to the original placement if this just isn't working.

In other news, I have prepared a concept for a credits sequence. Nothing about this video is final, the different elements definitely need to be re-edited and re-ordered before it's ready, but the concept of it is something I'd like to pursue if it works as a credits sequence.

I really like the flying bats towards the end of that, it flowed really well. Less so for the more static imagery you were using, some of it blended too much into the video footage due to having a dark outline.

Zarius said:
I really like the flying bats towards the end of that, it flowed really well. Less so for the more static imagery you were using, some of it blended too much into the video footage due to having a dark outline.

I'm still not sure if I'll do my own credits sequence, but if I do I'll be sure to avoid those dark outlines, maybe cut those illustrations entirely and focus on the flying bats.

I'm still waiting on a few previewers to get back to me before I consider calling any cut of this final, but in the meantime I am tinkering with various aesthetic elements - potentially new credits, and looking at something for a poster/cover art.

I am previewing what is hopefully my final cut tonight for some friends, and if I am happy with it then I am hoping to submit this edit this week. If anyone would like early access to this cut while I wait for the review process, feel free to shoot me an email. I will be looking at first releasing a 720p MKV, and then working on a Blu-Ray at some point soon after, and I'm looking forward to approaching a final release.

Just a small update, this has been submitted to the academy. While I practice my patience anyone who wants to see the final submitted version is welcome to hit me up!

I sure hope this quadruple post isn't too egregious.

I took a break after this went to the academy, and whilst I am waiting patiently I'm starting to think about my final presentation for this edit. There's a blu-ray release in my future, which I'll certainly put some time and effort into. But first I thought I'd sort out a poster (which I can later use as the basis for disc/cover art.) I'm torn between two posters to base it off, so I'd love any input if anyone likes one or the other, or has another idea.

Option A:
5p4A3ruYim3HZynRNcIbvY0ICh9.jpg

Option B:
5Dt7YWiWHOetjCZn91aZeVGJadG.jpg

Back
Top Bottom