• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

MKV to MP4 Conversion (automatic subtitle encoding)

Hakista

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Good Day!

I have been converting Anime MKV into MP4 format using Xvid4psp
but every time I that open the mkv file, i would still extract the subtitle file (.ass) via mkv extract and add it to the video before encode it hard subbed
before i would just open the video file and encode and the subs are there.
There is a setting in xvid4psp or the filters that I use but i forgot it (my friend used to install and configure that setting for me, but now he's too busy and I want to learn it myself)
Can someone help me with this? Thanks

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
are you actually converting to a different video codec? Because MKV and MP4 are both containers that can hold the same type of video streams.

Hakista

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yes I convert mkv files into mp4 format using Xvid4psp, I convert them because mp4 format is compact in size and suitable to smartphones, my problem is the subs because i do always manually "extract and add" from the mkv file before converting, unlike before i just load the mkv file and the subs are also included

I just want to find the settings to skip the manual adding of subs before converting

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
you apparently didn't understand my comment. MKV and MP4 aren't the actual video streams, they are containers. They can both hold AVC streams (commonly encoded using the h264 and x264 codecs) or xvid codec. So, my question is are you actually converting the video stream to a different format or just changing the container? The container has absolutely nothing to do with the filesize.

Hakista

Reaction score
Trophy Points
hmm I think Im just changing the container from mkv to mp4

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Not sure about that program but for hardcoding subs you can use VidCoder. https://vidcoder.codeplex.com/

Its settings are very similar to Handbrake but it allows subtitles to burn into mp4 files easily, which is not easy in Handbrake.

Hakista

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ill try your suggestion, but before xvid4psp works fine, except that i want to eliminate the "manual" adding of subs file every time i want to convert mkv to mp4 i think its just the settings, im just bad at configurations though

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hakista said:
Ill try your suggestion, but before xvid4psp works fine, except that i want to eliminate the "manual" adding of subs file every time i want to convert mkv to mp4 i think its just the settings, im just bad at configurations though

Again, I'm not familiar with that program at all, so I can't offer any specific instructions.

I'd suggest testing some conversions with a really short video and a bunch of different config settings, make several files and compare your end results, see which works best for what you want, and then try to do a longer video after you've figured out what settings you like. That way at least time is on your side.

hasmak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I am not completely sure of what you are trying to do.
My understanding of your problem is:
1- you have a .mkv file with subtitles in .ass format
2- you want to convert the .mkv to .mp4 and have the subtitles hard coded (not soft coded or embedded switchable) in one operation.
To do that you will have to re-encode the file, not re-mux, there are several tools that can do that including handbrake, VidCoder, XMediaRecode and many others.
I have not used Xvid4psp, however, there are several guides for using Xvid4psp on videohelp.com, see: http://www.videohelp.com/software/XviD4PSP#guides
there is a specific guide on hard coding subs: http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/...to-AVI-or-MP4-or-MKV-with-burned-in-subtitles
There is not much information on the developer site, but you might find something useful there:
http://winnydows.com/en/howto/

mikedrew87

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ripbotx264 is another program that is excellent for hard coding subs with MP4 format. Unlike MKV you can't have soft coded subs with an MP4. So with MP4's you can only hard code them.

Sphinctone1

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I think,if your already headed to VideoHelp,you'll want to have a hard look at MKVToolnix,it's extremely fast at changing containers,and should easily have the tools you need within the "toolbox" to handle your particular needs.
(It also contains "MKVInfo" which will tell you a LOT about what exactly is in your container,audio/video codec used,settings,etc.etc.)
http://www.videohelp.com/software/MKVtoolnix

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ohai 6-month nekropost. But, yeah, MKVtooknix is great for this.

Top Bottom