• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

.mkv (h264) to DVD

exactly. I have not counted how many video and audio tools I have on my PC just in case. I am a regular visitor on doom9.org and videohelp.com and whenever something interesting (especially freeware) pops up, I give it a try sooner or later.

boon23 said:
exactly. I have not counted how many video and audio tools I have on my PC just in case. I am a regular visitor on doom9.org and videohelp.com and whenever something interesting (especially freeware) pops up, I give it a try sooner or later.

You and me both LOL.

dark jedi said:
boon23 said:

You and me both LOL.

i dont think you guys are alone ;)

OK, I tried again to use the avisynth script with CCE, and got the same weird problem. Video is weird fast, then stuttery, and audio is out of sync.

I did not attempt the ffmpeg and mencoder method yet, becuase it encodes to AVI, and I would like to avoid encoding these things twice for a straight to DVD conversion. If I have something that needs a bunch of editing I may attempt this

I tried convertXtoDVD and am fairly happy. The video looks pretty nice, and as a bonus it is super fast. I am probably just going to go with this method for now

with the script your framerate might have been wrong. Did you check what framerate the original movie has? Did you change the setting for CCE?
And I agree for convertXtoDVD. It's a good program.

throw - check out avidemux. it does a great job of keeping a/v in sync (i use it specifically for x264 re-encodes to xvid, among many other things :) )

Tried a few more things. I am still happy with the quality of convertx2dvd, but i noticed a couple things. A few files I recently converted were out of sync (but most files stayed in sync), and after demuxing the files and bringing back into Ulead DVD Workshop to custom author a DVD, I always got an error while compiling. So, it mostly works great if you just want to go straight to DVD. But when I tried to do something else, no go.

DVDflick -> the quality sucked ass, so I quickly uninstalled that program

I was able to convert this using TMPGEnc 2 Plus, I just had to make sure I had all the aspect ratio settings correctly. I did a two pass convert and it came out beautifully, however it does take forever. An hour video took well over 3 hours to convert. But the quality is pretty awesome, and I can work with the files. so I think I will use this.

For some reason, the files load fine in TMPGEnc 2 Plus, but when I try TMPGEnc 4 XPress, it freezes up. A shame, because 4 is way faster, and much more user friendly.

did you give ConvertXtoDVD version 3 a shot,it is suppose to be a BIG improvement.

is that out yet? according to the site 2.2.3g is the latest version.

v3 is out,just trust me dude.

convertxtodvdv3mx6.jpg

hmmm, I dont think i am using v3. I will have to look into that.

Can't we burn mkv onto dvd and read it on a HD-DVD player ?

I'm sure you can read it on an HD player... Thing is, will it read as HD?

stamper said:
Can't we burn mkv onto dvd and read it on a HD-DVD player ?

once you burn it to DVD its DVD format not HD.

You can take a mkv, put it into mkv2vob, and output a (HD) VOB, which can be burned to a DVDR and played on a PS3 or a video program like VLC or MPC. I imagine that the VOB could be converted to a standard DVD format as well, but it would not be HD anymore.

I don't think I've ever squeezed that many acronyms into two sentences. :grin:

mmm i've got a trump card in my pocket: a custom script to convert mkv{h264+ac3} into a PS3-compatible m2ts stream losslessly (i.e. WITHOUT re-encoding):

it's a script frontend for tsMuxer (there should be both linux and windows binaries)

Code:
#!/bin/bash
level="level=4.1, "
if [ -z "$1" ]; then echo "Syntax: mkv2ps3 <file> <AC3/DTS/AAC> <audiotrack ID> <3-letter languagecode> <anything=don't fix level>"; 
exit 1; fi
if [ -z "$2" ]; then tsMuxeR "$1"; exit 1; fi
if [ ! -z "$5" ]; then echo "!!! Level unchanged !!!"; level=""; fi

moviename=`basename "$1" .mkv`

echo -e "MUXOPT --no-pcr-on-video-pid --new-audio-pes --vbr --vbv-len=500\nV_MPEG4/ISO/AVC, \""$1"\", "$level"insertSEI, contSPS, track=1, lang=und" > "$moviename".meta
echo -e "A_"$2", \""$1"\", track="$3", lang="$4 >> "$moviename".meta

tsMuxeR "$moviename".meta "$moviename".m2ts
# rm "$moviename".meta

Sounds good. mkv2vob, doesn't re-encode an mkv though, it just repacks it.

Fantastic, Joe!! m2ts can also be edited in Sony Vegas verbatim I think, so this should make it quite easier for me to do more HD edits.

Back
Top Bottom