• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

mkv as release format - 5.1 audio

seciors

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've never released anything in MKV, so bear with my beginner's questions.

When releasing an edit using the MKV container, how do people handle audio? I'd like to provide 5.1 surround sound. What is the best way to do this? Specifically, do I include an ac3 file? Or does it need to be in another format?

Do I also need to include a stereo file, or do MKV players usually know how to decode AC3?

If I need to include two audio tracks (5.1 and stereo) does the order matter, and do I need to enable/disable one or the other?

I guess I just need a few pointers on how to properly structure the mkv file so that I can make a good release using this format!

Thanks for any help anyone can provide!

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
MKV is a rather flexible container that can hold just about anything. As for audio, you can include as many tracks as you want, and they can be a variety of formats (DTS, AC3, AAC, etc.). I suggest AC3 for simplicity. It is quite easy to mux files into the container on a PC using MKVmerge (part of mkvtoolnix). You can choose which audio or subtitle file is default and whether it plays automatically or has to be turned on (in the case of subtitles). I'm not sure what programs are available/best for muxing into MKV on a Mac.

players vary but they should all be able to decode AC3 properly. For my TV media player, I prefer AC3 because it decodes it properly into the correct surround streams. For some reason DTS files get output as stereo no matter how many channels.

seciors

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks for that info!

One last question -- I'm concerned about people who want to play the file on their computer. Do you still recommend only including the AC3 file, or should I also include a stereo downmix? Or do most modern PC-based media players handle it fine?

I'm looking to use the MKV file as my sole delivery method for HD files, so that's why I'm asking. (I am trying to kill two birds with one stone, so to speak). So at the risk of asking the same question twice, if I am only releasing the MKV file and nothing disc-based (in HD), should I play it safe and include a stereo track as a disabled track?

As for tools on the mac, apparently mkvtoolnix is available on the mac, so I should be all set. Also, Handbrake can create mkv files. Since I use handbrake to do my h264 encode (and it also supports chapters, and creation of AC3 files, plus extra audio tracks), I'll probably try that first, and look at mkvtoolnix if I need to.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
seciors said:
One last question -- I'm concerned about people who want to play the file on their computer. Do you still recommend only including the AC3 file, or should I also include a stereo downmix? Or do most modern PC-based media players handle it fine?

I see absolutely no reason to include a stereo downmix. PC-based media players will have no problem with the 5.1 AC3 file. It's a common and widespread format.

Vultural

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
A couple friends of mine have difficulty with MKV.
All seem to be locked to Playstation.
BluRay plays MKV fine, as does VLC or PotPlayer on computer.
All my friends who use Playstation and gripe, also have computers.
I don't get it. As a container, MKV will be fine.

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Vultural said:
A couple friends of mine have difficulty with MKV.
All seem to be locked to Playstation.
BluRay plays MKV fine, as does VLC or PotPlayer on computer.
All my friends who use Playstation and gripe, also have computers.
I don't get it. As a container, MKV will be fine.

PotPlayer? Is that a video player for stoners? :lol:

Vultural

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Korea based Daum builds PotPlayer.
Free and has a smaller filesize then VLC.

Code:
http://download.cnet.com/Daum-Potplayer/3000-13632_4-75587055.html

Top Bottom