• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Mission Impossible II - The Spence Edit

spence

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I heard there exists a rare international cut that restores some additional violent shots that were previously excised at the behest of the MPA (formerly the MPAA). If only that was publicly availableā€¦ šŸ˜”
I don't know that that would really improve it much. IMO the problem with the action isn't the violence, it's the pace.

The Danger Zone

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I don't know that that would really improve it much. IMO the problem with the action isn't the violence, it's the pace.
Lol, it would be a unique addition, to be fair. That's just me, I guess.

spence

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Starting to slot in some sound effects and I'm starting to think this just might work.

Also started the part of the process where I put some things back in. I always end up doing that after I "finish" cutting what I want. A big part of making a good fanedit is thinking you can improve something, but being able to realize when your plan isn't working.

For instance, I cut the "love at first sight" moment during the flamenco dance, but I also cut a lot of the staring back and forth during the car ballet. I realized that I had to have at least one of those moments, as we have to believe the love story between Ethan and Naya very quickly as they're soon separated for a big chunk of the film. The one during the Flamenco dance feels less important, as they don't know each other at all yet. I also like the idea of starting the sequence with a character we just met, not knowing anything about them or why we are following them. Then, Ethan shows up out of nowhere and it starts to click.

In the car ballet, I simply cut it because I don't personally like it. However, the movie couldn't handle losing both moments.

I'd rather cut dialogue than active moments, so I put back the stuff in the car ballet and left it more or less as is. I then decided to cut Ethan and Naya's conversation in bed as it's no longer needed, the romance has been established. So I ended up switching out a dialogue scene for something more active, which works better for this type of film. I ended up saving roughly the same amount of time and actually got better pacing out of it.

I could've stuck with my original plan out of sheer stubbornness, but acknowledging it could be better another way has made the movie better overall.

Forgive the rambling, just thought some of you might be curious what goes through my brain when I'm making these decisions!

revel911

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Any other movies you could pull scenes from? Jack reacher?

spence

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Finally got the bathtub scene in the beginning to work. I ended up using some Giacchino music from Bad Times at the El Royale. It's very similar, lots of percussion and brass. Surprised how well it worked. I threw some more stuff from that film in later on.

There's also some Joe Kraemer work from Comrade Leuitenant that's a lot like his work from Rogue Nation that I've managed to slip in.

As much as I love Lorne Balfe, I think the Giacchino/Kraemer stuff works better for the vibe of this edit, which was all about upping the energy and pace. There's definitely a few pieces of Balfe in there, most notably at the beginning and end of the film, but I like the classic vibe of the other scores.

The only Zimmer that's still in there is the Spanish guitar love theme and a little bit of the vocal stuff. The vocal sections are almost impossible to scrub out, so I've just kept that theme. It doesn't completely fit with everything else, but it's not too bad and fixing it is beyond my expertise.

Lots of audio work to be done still, but it's definitely getting there and may be ready for some test viewings soon. The actual editing is more or less complete, save some little snips I'm finding here and there.

This is definitely one of the more difficult edits I've done as I'm not hugely accomplished at audio editing. I'm really pleased with the results so far.

For those curious it's running about 1 hr 43 min at the moment. I doubt it's going to get longer, but might lose a minute or two before it's finished.

maven48

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm excited for this. One of my favourites when I was younger but it has not aged well. Is there a purple tint to the whites in your clips? Is this due to some colour correction or present in the originals?

spence

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm still playing with a bit of color correction to bring down some of the aggressive reds. Not final!

spence

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Put a preview together of the first 10 minutes if anyone wants to take a look. I'd prefer if you can listen to it in 5.1 as that's what I mixed for. I'm likely going to do a 5.1 and a stereo as I need to mix them a bit differently. DM me if you want to have a look.

spence

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hey everyone, sorry for the radio silence on this, I was on vacation for the last 2 weeks. I'm back at it and hope to have this done by the end of September. I'm about 80% done, I'd estimate.

spence

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'd like to have 1-2 people take a look at my WIP for this if anyone is interested. I don't want to share it to too many people as honestly, I feel that interest in this edit might be a bit limited and I don't want everyone that wants to see it to see it before it's officially done.

Some requests if you're interested in viewing it:
1. Must be able to watch on a surround sound system or surround headphones.
2. Must have a passing familiarity with the original version of the film. You don't have to remember every word of it, but it would be helpful if you would be able to notice the changes.
3. Willing to give feedback on the sound levels and mix, as well as the movie as a whole.

Please DM me if you're interested in taking a look!

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm looking forward to your edit, but I don't have the sound equipment (or honestly, hearing acuity) to give you the feedback you're looking for.

spence

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm looking forward to your edit, but I don't have the sound equipment (or honestly, hearing acuity) to give you the feedback you're looking for.
I'm actually planning to adjust a mix specifically for stereo as well, so when I eventually release it you can listen to it either way!

L8wrtr

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I love the MI franchise but this one has always been my least favorite/most unwatchable in my opinion, a fix by spence is just what the doctor ordered. Looking forward to it!

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I can make you two promises:

1. It will still be your least favorite.
2. It will be significantly more watchable.
Justin Smith Shrug GIF by Sound FX

ArtisDead

Banned
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So...after the first watch...this edit certainly reshapes the movie. I like the music changes and what you did with the fight scene in the biofacility. Watching it again to be more critical. The first time was for fun to compare to original Remastered. And you know...because this is a Spence Revision...it's going to be awesome!

Top Bottom